So, no more barriers to (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, May 14, 2011.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I fully expect some people to pull a "he was only joking" despite the utter lack of any evidence to back it up, it's now canonical fact that Time Lords can change sex when they Regenerate.

So I guess the only question left is, who do they cast first? I'd be partial to Minnie Driver myself.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Re: So, no more barriers to a Female Doctor, then.

The already did remove that barrier when Ten regenerated and Eleven wondered if he was a girl this time...

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What's Minnie Driver up to these days?

And I'll always think of her as Debbie from Father Time; that was who Lance Parkin had in mind for the character.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

That scene was intended as a joke on the hair, I doubt it was to give the whole sex change a cannon badge ;) However I presumed this was cannon as the Rani did it?

I still think theres a trick or a problem with the regneration to do it besides The Doctor is happy being male it seems.

5. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a canonical fact that he's half-human.

;)

6. Allyn Gibson

We've long known that Time Lords can change form when they regenerate; Romana went through several non-humanoid forms before settling on Princess Astra, and wasn't it the ninth Doctor who said that he could end up with two heads? I'm not sure that a sex change would be outside the realm of possibility.

There are some Terran species that do undergo a sex change under certain conditions to help repopulate the species. Might Time Lords be one of them? If the Doctor and Master traveled together, might one regenerate into a woman because of a biological imperative to extend the species?

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Thank god we can use the loophole FOX made them do it :lol:

8. StCoop

And when was that disproved?

9. Savage Jaw

Savage Jaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

< DesperateAttemptToMaintainRegenerativeStatusQuo> Perhaps only a small cross-section of Time Lords, like Romana and the Corsair have the gene which gives them the ability to control regeneration in a greater manner, in Romana's case being able to changes species and control appearance, and in the Corsair's case the ability to change gender as well.< / >

10. StCoop

Or all Time Lord can choose when and how they Regenerate but since the Doctor's are always against his will his body just picks something close to the last one.

Until it doesn't...

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ I could go with that but also The Doctor was a poor student by Time Lord standards right? so maybe he never learn't how too.

12. Allyn Gibson

It's been argued by some that what happens to Donna in "Journey's End" proves that the Doctor cannot be half-human, otherwise his mind would have burned out. I'm not certain how the bizarre circumstances of Donna having the Doctor's mind impressed onto hers equates to the conception of a half-human/half-Time Lord child as these two events are completely unalike, but such is the way the minds of fans work sometimes.

13. StCoop

I fully expect epic essays from people trying to disprove this one too. :)

14. Allyn Gibson

With Gallifrey Base is full of speculation about how Canton Everett Delaware III is River Song's third regeneration (a "canto" is a song, the Delaware is a river), I am filled with despair for the rationality of fandom. Not everything is a tea leaf to be parsed. Some things should be taken at face value. *sigh*

15. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I choose to dismiss it out of hand.

Or else, dismiss it in hand. Maybe whatever-the-name-was had a taste for cross-dressing on a couple of goes.

16. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

ive always been of the opinon that in very rare circumstances eg a complete fluke of nature, a Time Lord can change gender, heck as humans we all start off as female, the fact the Doctor has nipples (or his that his human side, does the Master have nipples? ) suggets that Time Lords start off as female as well, as during the regeneration (rebirthing process) its possible that as a total fluke the body is re made, but the atoms, combine to make it female, rather than male.

Also in a race that can change bodies like the Time Lords can, maybe there isnt a notion of gender was we humans see it, and gender can be more fulid.

I think Time Lords can tell the differnce between a Time Lady and a Time Lord in a dress.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

edit

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  18. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, but transvestites often like being called she. My point is, there's at least scope for alternative explanation wherever some smartarse pomo twatwriter tries to piss on the show's history with a glib line or two.

19. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I new this thread was coming as soon as i heard the line.

Crap Jedward are invading my TV as type.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

welcome back bones, how i've missed you.

oh, wait. i didn't...