Phase II Celebrates 7th Anniversary With Release of "Lost Vignette"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain Randy Hall, Oct 7, 2011.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Phase II Celebrates 7th Anniversary With Release of "Lost Vignette

I could have done without the tribble scene. It was bad enough what Scotty did to them in TTwT; Space PETA was no doubt rabid when they found out, no pun intended. In this case, it was needlessly cruel, as it required specifically bringing a tribble along, just to sacrifice it to annoy some Klingons.

Additionally, if you think about it, Kirk would have had to have kept the tribble calm and quiet the whole time. Couldn't it have blown his cover?

Furthermore, Kirk simply disappearing without a trace without ever breaking disguise, which is how I would have played it and incidentally what I expected, would have potentially simply left the Klingons wondering why their plan failed. This would have been far more strategically advantageous for the Federation. Not as "funny" perhaps, but then I found it less than funny as it was.

2. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Ooops! I'll fix that tootsweet!

3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I have just posted a brief article on the new vignette. You can see it by clicking here.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Re "The Bad". Really? You didn't catch that the
    hooded figure was Cawley/Kirk?
    I wasn't fooled for a second! :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me neither. :)

6. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I was. What can I say? :vulcan:

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I groaned the minute he showed up. Not because of the actual idea of him doing that, but because of how dumb it makes Kargh look for falling for it/not suspecting anything. For someone described in this very short as "One of our greatest strategists," Kargh really comes off looking like a moron.

9. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

It does stretch the suspension of disbelief a tad. It would've helped if Cawley had at least tried to disguise his voice a bit.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The whole idea of meeting around campfire seemed a little far-fetched. :)

11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, this was shot at the same time as "To Serve All My Days"--with the intent that it would be released before that episode. So, Kirk really didn't need to disguise his voice: Kargh and Kirk and never met. *We* might recognize Kirk/Cawley because we've seen him so much; at that time, Kargh never had.

12. doubleohfive

Minor aside/query: Has Kargh been featured in every NV/P2 production so far?

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

That intent falls apart when you consider that Kirk is featured in Kargh's simulator test. While Kargh and Kirk had never met face-to-face, the former was, at least, familiar with the latter in some fashion. That is unless the Kargh's "Test of Victories" was a tall-tale and didn't really happen, but that would render the vignette rather pointless then.

Kargh has been in the following so far:

"In Harm's Way"
    "To Serve All My Days"
    "No Win Scenario" (short)
    "Blood and Fire, part 2"

And will be in the yet-to-be released:
    "Kitumba"
    "Mind-Sifter"

14. doubleohfive

Thanks for the breakdown... I couldn't remember if he had been in "Blood and Fire, Part 1" or not.

Going back to the "Test of Victories" -- (and yes, this is entirely in the "I'm thinking about it too much" arena) -- it also puts a bit of a focus on continuity as well -- if Kargh is one of the empire's greatest strategists, and if we are to believe that he's been a starship commander for a while, how is it that the Klingon training exercise Kargh takes when he's still (basically) a plebe, features Kirk in command of the Enterprise?

Are we to believe that within the past five years Kargh has become as well-known in the Empire as Koloth, Kang and Kor?

An easy fix would be to just replace the viewscreen convo with Kirk with same but featuring Pike, or maybe some innocuous Starfleet type. But then that would suppose that the Klingons even have a test like this, a blatant knockoff of the Kobayashi Maru. Would they?

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not that much of a stretch to believe any fricking thing about parallels between the Federation, Klingons and god knows what all in Star Trek. The future is a monoculture.

16. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

To keep all these important questions in perspective, it helps to read many of the posts in this thread in the voice of Hank Azaria’s “Comic Book Guy” from The Simpsons.

To get the complete picture, Kargh does not appear in the following episodes:

"Come What May"
    "Center Seat" (vignette)
    "World Enough and Time"
    "Blood and Fire, Part 1"
    "Enemy: Starfleet!"
    "The Child"
    "The Protracted Man"
    "Change of Command" (vignette)
    “Bread and Savagery”

Kargh does appear in the following episodes:

"In Harm's Way"
    "To Serve All My Days"
    "No Win Scenario" (vignette)
    "Blood and Fire, Part 2"
    "Kitumba"
    "Mind-Sifter"

Kirk's image appears to Kargh on a grainy viewscreen while his "ship" is under (simulated) attack in the Test of Victors; Kargh sees this unnamed starship captain for a total of about thirty seconds and hears him utter twenty-four words. If, years later, this same guy shows up in disguise wearing a hood in the dark of night over a campfire, I don't think it's that big of a surprise that Kargh doesn't recognize him or his voice.

Regarding having Kirk commanding the Enterprise in a simulation that (probably) took place years ago, I’ll put on my Co-Executive Producer’s hat. It’s not really an “easy fix” to re-dress the bridge into a Pike-era bridge and shoot footage of Captain Pike doing all this rigmarole. In fact, it wasn’t easy to get James Cawley as Kirk to do this scene. In fact, we couldn’t. So the viewscreen footage is simply footage shot for (and lifted from) “Blood and Fire.” (If we wanted to have Pike in this onscreen footage, we’d still be waiting for the release of this vignette.)

Or maybe Kargh actually took his Test of Victors not all that long ago. Perhaps he’s a “Boy Wonder, promoted to Captain right out of the Academy” kind-of-guy, like J.J. Abrams’ Alternate Universe Kirk is. Also, we actually don’t know how well-known Kargh is in the universe in relation to Kang, Kor and Koloth. We only know how well-known Kargh thinks he is going to become.

17. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Rule No. 1: Klingons lie.