20 YEARS AGO TODAY: "But I'm Not Even Supposed to BE Here Today!"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by cooleddie74, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

To be honest, it's such a detail, I'm not even sure if it was intentional. So, here it is.

In Dogma, Bethany asks Jay how they got to Illinois. Jay tells the story of John Hughes and Shermer, IL, and here's the important quote:
    "Then it hits me, we could live like fat rats if we're the blunt connection in Shermer, Illinios, so we collected some money we were owed and caught a bus."

But, in Strike Back, when they try to go to Hollywood by bus, Jay is shocked:
    "Tickets? Since when did they start charging for the bus? Didn't we used to ride that shit to school every morning for free?"
    Showing that they didn't ride a bus since school days.

Therefore, the bus ride to IL had to take place after that.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's a good point but I'm guessing it's a continuity error, because as the other person said I thought Chasing Amy showed them getting on the bus for Dogma...

There's also the problem that Alanis-God closes the book on the Viewaskewniverse at the end of Strikes Back and they haven't met her yet :lol:

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Nice catch and good theory, but it's just a continuity error. Even Kevin can't keep all the details in his own universe straight from time to time. JASB is fifth in the Askweniverse continuity, taking place at some point after the boys return home to Jersey following the events in Dogma.

Heck, look at Willam Black. Scott Mosier in Clerks. Ethan Suplee in Mallrats, which happens a day earlier. Sometimes continuity is one of those things where Kevin goes: "meh. Screw it. It's funnier this way so let's go with it." And he just sits back and smiles.

4. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, doesn't Jay reference "God herself" - who he met in Dogma - in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back?

5. cooleddie74

Yep. In the opening scene where the kids try to buy weed and the guys rant about Morris Day and the Time.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

It's not a continuity error if you can find an explenation for it. SciFi fans should know that.

There's another thing, Jay and Silent Bob meet God in Dogma, yet they only got religious in Clerks II, not in their own movie. That would make more sense when you put Dogma between JASBSB and Clerks II.

Now, Jay referring to god as a 'she' in JASBSB, that could just be him trying to be clever. I mean, the idea of god as a woman was out there.

As for god closing the book of the Askewniverse at the end of JASBSB, that was already contradicted by Clerks II.

7. cooleddie74

That does it. I'm getting high.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Reading through this thread convinced me to finally upgrade my Askewniverse collection from DVDs to Blu-ray, and to start a rewatch of the films once the discs arrive. For the first time ever, I think I'll actually start that rewatch with Mallrats.

A friend mentioned the Super Groovy Cartoon Movie to me a while back, pointing out that one of the stops is at Butler University in Indianapolis. We're only a couple hours away from Indy, so we're hoping to be able to go.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

There's a wonderful four issue mini-series Kevin wrote called "Chasing Dogma" that bridges the gap between 'Chasing Amy' and 'Dogma' shows them leaving the cafe where they talked to Holden and ends with them about to attack the triplets who were about to kill Bethany.

It does a great job of bridging the gap, the only reason anyone would say it wasn't canon is because Kevin recycles a lot of the plot from the comic into the film 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.'

10. cooleddie74

That's right, doesn't Chasing Dogma contain Suzanne the orangutan? After introducing her in the closing credits of Mallrats I know he recycled her in at least one written work before she reappeared on the big screen in Jizzle and Bizzle.*

* That's what Kevin sometimes calls JASB. Don't blame me. ;)

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it contains Suzy and their little misadventures on a damn, Jays rant about the government, and I think the whole incident at the diner is in the comic as well. I have the trade, I just haven't read it in quite a while.

12. cooleddie74

There's also a comic depicting how Dante and Randal got hired at Becky's Mooby's restaurant following the Quick Stop fire. Kevin's pretty good at depicting ”unseen” events in the Askewniverse, even if the canon status of some details is questionable.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the comic cooleddie mentioned is called "Clerks: Where's The Beef?"

I did find this rather interesting unofficial timeline that a fan came up with on another board...it contains everything up to "Clerks II".

Oni Double Feature #1 - "Walt Flanagan's Dog" (April 13 - 14, 1994)
    Mallrats (April 14, 1994)
    Clerks (April 15, 1994)
    Clerks - The Lost Scene / Clerks - The Lost Scene (April 15, 1994)
    Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Video Stash (February, 1996)
    Oni Double Feature #12 - "Bluntman and Chronic in the Derris Affair" (March, 1996)
    Bluntman and Chronic #1-3 (April - June, 1996)
    Chasing Amy (April, 1996 - May, 1997)
    Jay and Silent Bob #1-4 - "Chasing Dogma" (May 31 - June 5, 1996)
    Dogma (May 27 - June 7, 1996)
    Clerks - The Comic Book (March, 1998)
    Clerks - Holiday Special (December 16 - December 25, 1998)
    Clerks - "On the Perils of Cinema" (November, 1999)
    Clerks - The Animated Series (January 31 - July 23, 2000)
    Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (June, 2001)
    Scream 3 (June, 2001)
    Clerks - The Flying Car (February, 2002)
    Clerks - "Where's the Beef?!?" (February, 2006)
    Clerks II (February, 2006 - April, 2007)

14. cooleddie74

Yes, folks. Believe it or not, Scream 3 is considered part of the Askewniverse by some because Jay and Silent Bob have a cameo in the movie. Kind of blows your fragile, doobie-addled little minds, doesn't it?

On another note, here's about three minutes of the eight-minute "Lost Scene." Enjoy. The entire unedited thing used to be posted on YouTube, but I can't seem to find it.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9EeofQZqN4[/yt]

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

What's interesting about the "Lost Scene," is that when Kevin was putting together the Clerks X DVD release, he briefly considered actually filming the scene. Would have been interesting, and definitely fit into the movie better, but ultimately he decided it was too expensive.

16. cooleddie74

Plus, the Lost Scene is 8 minutes long (plus change).

Clerks said Dante and Randal were inside the funeral home for 5 minutes before running back out.

Nootch. :p

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Kevin likes to say that's exactly what he had in mind for the funeral scene when he wrote Clerks. Sounds like Lucas style revisionist history there, considering he probably didn't even know who Alyssa Jones was going to be at the time, let alone have the nickname "finger cuffs." Still, I would have loved to see it done live action if that meant more Joey (still bummed she didn't get to play Bethany).

18. cooleddie74

A whole lot of what you see in the "Lost Scene" is retconned into the thing to establish more continuity within the Askewniverse.

Alyssa. "Finger Cuffs." Truth or Date. T.S. Quint. The images of Loki and Bartleby on the death announcement cards for Julie Dwyer. Which is all cool and it never bothers me. It's not as if Kevin knew who or what any of those were in the winter and spring of 1993 when he first shot the original Clerks, and it only helps flesh out his universe and gives it more depth.

If retconning works, I say go ahead and do it.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

If "Jay and Silent Bob's Super Groovy Cartoon Movie" is indeed an adaptation of the Bluntman and Chronic mini-series then it would fit in prior to "Chasing Amy" in the timeline...I'm sure there will be present time scenes, or at least there could be, if those are flashbacks or something.

20. cooleddie74

You've got to love the View Askewniverse. Only something this complicated and f'd up could still be this beloved.