20 YEARS AGO TODAY: "But I'm Not Even Supposed to BE Here Today!"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by cooleddie74, Mar 8, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Elias works next door at RST Video....maybe he ends up at the Quick Stop just like Randal did in the nineties after spending time seeing all his friends having fun next door and not in the video store.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone planning on seeing "Jay and Silent Bob's Super Groovy Cartoon Movie" this April? The animation is basically typical of the Smod produced stuff they do, but I'm in. It seems to be a kind of origin story for Bluntman and Chronic and it features the return of Cock Knocker and the voice of Eliza Dushku!!

3. cooleddie74

I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to see it in any kind of public, theater setting, but yeah I do plan on watching the film. I don't care how cheesy the animation is, Jay and Silent Bob are still Jay and Silent Bob and anything new from the warped world of the Askewniverse is on my viewing list.

4. Admiral_Young

^ That's pretty much how I feel about it as well. I think Kevin stated he plans on promoting it in a similar fashion to how he did "Red State" with a tour, etc. It'll have a limited release before being On Demand and then Blu-Ray hopefully.

5. cooleddie74

I didn't see Red State until it hit home video, but in all frankness it didn't take long at all for the film to arrive on disc. The movie didn't make much and came and went like lightning, so there were probably only a few months between the theatrical run and the DVD and BluRay releases.

6. Admiral_Young

Yeah, I think there were only two or three....it was really short and I believe Smith planned it that way IIRC.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see the Jay Silent Bob movie when it comes out on DVD. Does it have any connection to the Clerks cartoon? The same art style? Is it only written by Kevin Smith?

8. Admiral_Young

The trailer shows a Leonardo owned Bank the two visit. It's a different animation style. It is indeed written by Kevin, it's based on the Bluntman and Chronic mini-series he did a few years ago that was the companion piece to "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back".

9. cooleddie74

Cop Out is the only film he's ever directed and released that he didn't write.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Since we don't really have much Clerks III news to go on right now, this seems like it's stemming into an "All things Smith" thread:

I just got done watching Chasing Amy for the umpteenth time. As I said upthread it's my favorite outside of Clerks, and it's probably his best written and directed film. I also feel this is one of, if not the best roles that Affleck has had in his career. It's also one of the few movies that I know by heart and yet when the end comes I wish so hard that Holden would say that one thing to get Alyssa to stay, it's just a heartbreaking movie for me to watch.

11. cooleddie74

Joey Lauren Adams deserved an Oscar for that movie. She was breathtaking as Alyssa.

12. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I love the "racist" rant about star wars that ends with "Black Rage!" :lol:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7beQ9wHiM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/yt]

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

What's a nubian?

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks terrible. By which I mean it looks terrible. I absolutely loath the animation style. It looks like something some 14 year old stoner kid drew on the back of a textbook. I've thrown away better looking art than that.

15. cooleddie74

The animation style of the short-lived 2000 Clerks animated series never impressed me at all but the content was often very well-written and funny and deserving of inclusion in the Askewniverse pantheon. I'm trying to overlook the quality of the animation and just focus on whatever story it has.

Knowing Kevin he probably wanted it to look crappy just to be ironic.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It came out of the cartoons that Stark originally did for free using clips of the SMODcasts. It is amateur-level because the dude is pretty much an amateur who happened into the job just because Smith doesn't really care how it looks. I imagine he did most of the animation work on his own too, or with a very small team, which is pretty impressive no matter how shoddy the animation is.

17. Admiral_Young

Yeah I'm not bothered by the animation either, even though it's not what I would have preferred they'd go with, I'm interested in the characters and story, and since Smith wrote it it should at the very least be what we've come to expect from his work.

18. cooleddie74

I just want to see the thing!

19. Admiral_Young

^ Snoogans.

20. cooleddie74

This thread is convincing me that I need to go back and rewatch all six Askewniverse films in order, but this time in chronological order by story. I'd watch Mallrats first since it takes place a day or so before Clerks in the timeline.