The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. SonOfMogh

SonOfMogh Commander Red Shirt

I'm so so glad they haven't included 'movie silencers' in this show. Basically a real life gun shot from a suppressed weapon is still LOUD, not as loud and possibly harder to pinpoint, but suppressors aren't the ridiculous magic technology movies and TV shows portray.

2. SonOfMogh

Has anyone else considered what would have happened if Shane had been the one with a matching blood type and Rick had gone with Otis?

As much as Rick is the better man, I'm glad it was left up to Shane- he made the tough choice and 1 man died. Rick would've fought for everyone until his last breath, and possibly would have got himself, Otis and Carl killed.

Or maybe he would've just planned a better escape strategy...

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Also regarding silencers, they are illegal pretty much everywhere without very special licensing. So, trying to get/find one would be almost impossible.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Or a better entry strategy.

Tell me about it. History Channel used to be one of my favorites until it became all truckers and swamp folk and crap like that. As I watched the Zombie special, it seemed to me that they were using the Zombie fad to throw a bunch of history at people (i.e. kids) to hopefully get them interested. Good idea.

Well, there was more to their argument than that. :D

In my opinion, it's the handful of survivors holding onto their humanity in the face of the dehumanized horde.

As World War Z taught us, crawlers are more dangerous because they sneak up on you. ;) Also, they really should be killing every Zombie they can, because it reduces the total Zombie population bit by bit.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

But loud enough to signal zombies that it's chow time? And it would depend on how close the zombies were. Any suppression of noise would be an advantage.

Sometimes you need a damn gun, like when that zombie attacked Andrea out of nowhere. I can't believe any of these people are willing to walk around unarmed. At the very least, I'd want a gun so I can kill myself in an Otis-type situation.

That's what I was wondering. Considering the shit you can buy legally, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the average joe could find one.

I was wondering why there wasn't anyone around with O-positive blood, who could donate for A-positive Carl. O-positive is the most common blood type.

Like save half the flares for their escape? I still can't believe they didn't think of that!!!

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

You would of thought Shane would of shot Otis in the head to let him off the pain of being eaten alive.

7. SonOfMogh

Some of the zombies would probably be more interested in the limping guy running away than the completely still body on the ground, and continue to chase Shane. They can smell fresh food but they have to be pretty damn close. They seem to prioritise the living, and have been known to stop eating a dead victim if they catch a glimpse of another potential target.

There's no way they were going to ignore a screaming, begging fighting, immobile target. He was always going to be louder and more enticing than Shane, who was able to pretty much slip away.

8. SonOfMogh

Ok, please watch this 9 second video of a small pistol being fired with a supressor, the gun in the video is basically similar to the gun Shane carries alongside his shotgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AEuOts1YU&feature=player_embedded

Do you still feel comfortable firing in earshot of walkers? The sound is muffled, and in a large open space it will certainly help, but searching for an attachment which basically makes your gun sound like a very slightly smaller gun is probably not a priority.

I can see why someone would think this was a good idea based on movies and TV shows, but the device you commonly see is frankly about as realistic as walkers.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

This show contains many, many similar themes to BSG. Shane is the spiritual counterpart to Gaius Baltar.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Heh, the Walking Dead is rather similar to BSG. I never thought of that too much before. BSG had much better defined characters at this point, though.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

In the states it is near impossible to get one. Not "difficult", not "hard to find", but near impossible. It's the kind of item that puts you very high on the Secret Service's watchlist.

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

..and Bear Mcreary does the the soundtracks for both shows.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I was in the situation those people were in, I'd damn well have a gun with me, every second of every waking moment and I'd probably learn to use it in my sleep, too.

And if I needed to use it, I'd use it, and not particularly care what anyone thought about it. :rommie: But for politeness' sake, if it were possible to muffle the sound in some way, I'd do that. No sense in aggravating my fellow survivors anymore than necessary.

But I'm keeping my damn gun. Cold dead hands and all that.

The debate over that is whether Otis would have made better bait alive than dead. But it's been established that zombies can tell the living from the dead by smell. A freshly-dead Otis will not start putrifying instantaneously. I'm sure he could have smelled alive for the, oh, ten seconds needed to provide a distraction. He might not have even been technically dead (no heartbeat, no brain activity) in so short a time.

Contrast that with the practical problem of a still-conscious Otis fighting Shane for the pack he was wearing and possibly getting both of them killed. If Shane shot Otis in the leg for nothing more than to gain an advantage, that strategy could very easily have backfired. In retrospect, I'd say it was a coin toss which decision was better in terms of effectiveness.

And getting back to the morality of the situation, I've decided that these people are in such a mind-bendingly horrific situation that there's no way to apply notions of morality to what they're going through. Whatever they want to get up to is fine by me.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

After a slow start with season two premiere, all my thoughts of this show having a sophomore slump have vanished.

Wow! TWD has been on fire this season. These last two episodes have been great.

I thought second episode was very good. I liked the scene that started the episode with Lori and Shane in the past. Very LOST like. I only hope we got more of those in future episodes. The new characters at the farm were pretty interesting. Something weird is going on with the doctor, finding that place seems almost too good to be true.

The third episode was one of my favorites. I loved Shane sacrificing Otis to save himself and possibly Carl. What he did was so cruel, but he can accept that it was for got greater good. I've come to accept the fan theory that Otis being alive and screaming made better zombie bait. The writers have been doing a good job making Shane interesting and the actor is talented enough for the role.

All the scenes with the zombie army at the school was pretty tense.

They need to find little Sophia already! I'm sick of Carol crying all the time in her scenes. I really hope it doesn't take the entire season to get the kid.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  15. Silvercrest

Ah yes. "You can have my gun when you pry it from me with your cold, dead hands." :cool:

16. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

17. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

I would have sworn that Shane was smiling while running away when he shot Otis. for a big guy he did pretty good considering

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  18. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Sound suppressors are legal in 37 states. Not sure why people are under the impression they are illegal.

But if you really need to quiet a shot there are plenty of ways to do it with a "field expedient" method as we called them in the Army. My personal favorite is duck taping a potato to your muzzle, it is only good for a single shot, but it works.

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Btw, what do you guys think is going on with the zombie in the well next week?

20. Silvercrest

Lassie took a little too long to get help.