7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 18, 2013.

?

Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"

Poll closed Jun 27, 2013.
  1. Merlin

111 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Radagast the brown

30 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Barty crouch jr

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Destro

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Malekith

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read Shazams! post at the top of the page.

Oh?

Has anyone wondered if the prop department is going to fix the broken window?

And if we're going to go all the way back to Silence in the Library... Couldn't the Doctor just have opened the door by snapping his fingers?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Actually, I do have a couple random thoughts that I will post (though they may have already been stated).

1) Clara was saved. Given the story, she could have easily been one companion that, once again, the Doctor loses. Rose, Donna, Amy and Rory...all lost to him. It was refreshing to see a companion finally make it out in one piece (or a billion pieces, whatever).

2) River Song. Will this be her last appearance? I admit that my hope for the character was to give her a multi-episode arc where it was just her and the Doctor traveling together, something to really solidify their relationship before finally sending her off to die in The Library. However, I was rather satisfied with the approach in this episode, coming at it from the perspective of her already being dead.

I have to wonder, though, don't you think the Great Intelligence might have some interest in the Biggest Library in the Universe? Could we see a return to that location?

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sincerely doubt it. Her conversation with the Doctor at the end kind of implies she'll make another appearance. And really, as long as Moffat is running the show, I'm sure we can guarantee River will be back. We're more likely to go through a whole year with no Daleks whatsoever than without River.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Fine by me. I welcome an extended break from the Daleks.

And yeah, I'm sure River will be back, but the way the scene played out, I could see it going either way.

I do like that we saw the Library database version of River, though, which makes me wonder if the Library will be making a comeback somewhere down the road.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

River LIVES in the library, not only is she not dying in the library, but she's immortal now, she will live in the library forever.

In fact as information, she should potentially have all the powers which the great Intelligence had.

The Great Intelligence was pissed because he had lost a thousand battles tot he doctor.

We'd seen 3, and this was the 4th.

(I'm not counting the UNIT standalone because I haven't seen it.)

996 to go.

Which means that the Doctor in all his future Battles with the younger version of Great Intelligence has to take care to make sure that he doesn't accidentally kill the Great intelligence and that the intelligence always escapes so that he will grow old and bitter and then go to Trensalor.

Um?

Was that an 8 vs. 2 crossover Clara ran afoul of?

6. McDuff

McDuff Commander Red Shirt

I'm not the biggest fans of Moffat's work since he took over (it's "ok", i guess) but this episode was just wow!

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Okay, so, another question.

How the hell does any of this relate to The Silence?

Silence will fall when the Question is asked. Well, the Question was asked. What exactly was supposed to happen? Why was Madame Kovarian so crabby? And, frankly, who blew up the TARDIS?! :p

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well we saw what happened when the question was asked. Jenny winked out of existance, Strax reverted to Sontaran xenophobia and, oh yes, the stars started going out!!

Every victory the Doctor ever had undone, suddenly the Silence don't seem such badguys!!

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well right, but was that the point? The Silence wanted to kill the Doctor before Trenzalore so that they Doctor wouldn't be killed at Trenzalore?

Seems that the Silence should have been going after the Great Intellience instead. Perhaps the Slience has been around so long that they've gotten their stories screwed up, like a game of Telephone. Eventually the original message gets lost.

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we've seen what was supposed to happen, haven't we? Billions of people dead, history rewriting itself. The Silents were just trying to prevent all that from happening, they were the good guys! Hell, I'm sure one of them works with Madame Vastra and we've just forgotten about him!

Also, it must be said that the short scene in which the Doctor was crying was heartbreaking and very well acted.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Okay, maybe this is totally reaching (also super fanwanky), but it's Moffat, so who knows?

With the re-introduction of Library River, I really can't help feeling that we might find ourselves back there. Could there be any significance to the episode title "Silence in the Library?" Eh? ;)

12. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    If Clara hadn't intervened this would have been the Fall of the 11th Doctor. The Silence didn't want the Doctor to live to open the door and let the GH undo all of the Doctor's victories and leave the Universe in ruin. It was better to kill him early than to have his previous battles undone.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I get that. I guess I just figured that the Silence would actually be there. If all else fails, Trenzalore would be their one last chance to stop him.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Very much agreed

Why would they be there? Their agent killed the Doctor by Lake Silencio ;)

15. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

They were. They even broke a glass panel on the TARDIS' front door.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That...is a very good point. :lol:

I would have worked that out eventually. This is what I get for watching things first thing in the morning.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Pretty sure that was from the fall.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, The TARDIS did fall at/to Trenzalore with 11 in it.

Silence did fall when the question was asked and The Doctor didn't say anything at first :shrug:

19. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe the Silence were involved in a battle that the Doctor helped prevent or stop? Him being undone by the GI would mean that they would've been defeated or completely eradicated. So him answering the question, and allowing the GI to do what he did, would result in their fall.

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

No no no.

If the Doctor had fallen here then it would have been a paradox because he would have fallen before he was supposed to have fallen. This is his future where he "fell in battle". The silence might be referring to that event. I don't see the Tardis falling out of the sky as being more significant than his actual death fall in battle.