Kaziarl's model corner

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Kaziarl, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

So... I have nothing for you here. Yet!

I, Kaziarl, am an addict. I love models (not runway models, although those are nice too). But it's been some 15 years since I've build one, and I'm not sure what's out there anymore. So I am turning to the wonderfully helpful and sometimes terribly blunt community of TrekBBS for advice. What are, in your opinion, some of the best models in the last 15 years? Something nice for me to get back into the pool, so to speak.

At the moment I am leaning towards a couple of specific models. For Trek, I'm oogling the USS Reliant, and the NX-01 Enterprise. If there is a really well made Defiant model, I would consider that too. Basically, I like the smaller ships.

For non-trek, I really like the Galactica from the newer BSG series. Actually I like both versions, but so far as I can tell there aren't many of the older one to be had. Someone in a facebook group I'm in suggested the Pegasus instead, as they say it is bigger. I might do that one later, but I really like the Galactica.

I can't seem to find any Stargate model kits, but if anyone knows of some I'd love to have a look. I imagine a model kit of Atlantis would be both amazing and infuriating.

I also like Gundams. My favorites are Wing 0, Wing 0 Custom (the angel wing variant), and Deathscythe from Gundam Wing.

There are so many I would like to do, I'm just not sure where to start. So what do you guys think? Once I have one picked, and acquire it, I'll post pictures of it in here.

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Your timing is great, because we're in the middle of a resurgence of sci fi model kits.

Round 2/Polar Lights has some great newer Star Trek kits, in addition to reissues of the old kits. If you want to start small and slow, their 1/1000 Enterprises (TOS and refit) are fantastic little 12" kits. If you're ambitious, they also make both kits in 1/350 scale at almost 3 feet long.

Moebius Models has been blessing us with big new kits of the vehicles from Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and the New Galactica (among other properties!) for a few years now, with a Viper and Galactica from the old series planned for this year.

I recommend you check out the web stores at www.starshipmodeler.com and www.culttvman.com and shop, shop, shop.

3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the revell 1/600 tos enterprise is a very nice kit. (dont know if it made it out of europe, there was something funny with the licensing, might've been sorted by now though)

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Except it's pretty inaccurate - more of an "impression" of the Enterprise, like the AMT kit was. The Polar Lights Es are by fare the most accurate ever, with shapes and measurements and details taken straight from the original in the Smithsonian.

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i know its not super accurate, but it goes together nicely and you can do some nice kitbashery with it :P

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Kitbashery IS important! :)