AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. omegastein

omegastein Ensign Newbie

I will chalk this up as failed attempts we simply did not see on the show. Even though no specific date has been established, this is definitely not the past. You can 'assume' this by the shot of the in-car police computer.

[​IMG]

[LEFT]The specific model shown on AMC's TWD at least establishes the show occurs in a present day timeframe (within a couple years +/-) and that there is internet.
    [/LEFT]

2. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was not very good--very dull--in fact, I found myself fast forwarding through large swaths of it. I didn't care for the actors, the characters were bland.

And like so many AMC shows it was far tooooooooooo slow especially that one sequence that seemed to go on forever with the sheriff after escaping the hospital wandering about aimlessly.

Won't be sticking with this.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your opinion is your opinion, but maybe you should just swear off tv altogether, especially this season.

4. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well most television these days is crap but I do try to sample something new in the hopes it just might not be crap--like I said I won't be tuning in anymore to this. I can't help it that I won't settle for any old thing Hollywood decides to put out--too many people have and that is why we end up with the mediocrity we have whether with films, tv, music, art etc.

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

See, you lost me right there.

;)

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Seriously?

:wtf:

Really?!?

Hear that sound?

That's the sound of NOBODY caring!!!

7. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Back in my day, television was called BOOKS!"

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Seems you were hoping for action over plot, no thanks.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I loved the first episode.

I thought you would give this show at least two episodes. Very few shows have incredible pilots. LOST and 24 are the exceptions to the rule.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please don't encourage him. :p

11. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't say anyone else had to care. Its something I noticed, and even mentioned, that I am personally a bit anal about. So at least one person cares, me.

Actually there are quite a few others who care as well. After a quick look at some other (weapons related) forums chatting about this show, I see that there are others discussing the very same issues. Granted this being a Sci-Fi forum those issues are not typically at the forefront, but I thought I would bring it up. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean a rude response is required.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If this had been on HBO, it definately would have been TV-MA. Just imagine it. Topless zombie women! :p

13. USS Avenger

Topless zombies, zombie strippers, and in the hospital scenes the hero wouldn't have been wearing his boxers :eek:

I really hadn't noticed the rating thing, I guess I never really pay any attention to it. The show was on late enough to keep the kiddies from seeing any gore. Unless you want your kids to see the blood, in which case DVR it! ;)

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched it this morning and absolutely loved it, and I'm not a zomie fan. I felt much like "Zombieland" did "The Walking Dead" chooses to focus on characters who the audience can feel an emotional attachment to and follow through the series and really the zombies are secondary. They're cool and all but Darabont and his team are obviously wanting us to focus and care about Rick and his family, and the other characters who are connected with them. Awesome show. I'll be watching this.

15. USS Avenger

I have not read the comic that this was based on, but from what others have told me that is the focus there as well. The zombies are the background, the ever present threat tht brings these characters together and it is their relationships that are at the forefront. I don't know if thats true or not, but it seems to be the way this series is headed and I like it.

16. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I liked the show and will be sticking with it.

But nitpicking is fun so lets do that!

My first would be that our hero decides to carry something like five shotguns with him. Really? Shotguns are one of the most reliable types of weapon but they are heavy. Why carry so many weapons instead of more ammunition? I carried one weapon at a time in Iraq, but you better believe that weapon was clean, functional and had a whole lot of bullets.

Next, the tank was clearly a mock-up, it did a poor job of looking like an Abrams, and the inside was entirely too spacious. They also do not have escape hatches on the bottom since that would make it more vulnerable to mines.

Finally, will the survivors be smart enough to use suppressed and silenced weapons later on in the series? Heck, even bows and crossbows would work. And there are all shorts of make-shift silencers that could work, a potato strapped or duct-taped to the muzzle of a weapon can be an effective one shot silencer.

But again, that is part of the fun of survival type shows, thinking what you would do in the place of the heroes.

17. USS Avenger

I though the same thing about the shotguns. Carry one, maybe two for spare parts or if the primary is lost or destroyed, and just carry more ammo. Could be he is bringing the extra guns to arm any other survivors he meets? Crossbows would work great!

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I loved Zombieland. I agree that one of the main reasons it did so well was that it was so funny and we actually cared about the main characters. Hopefully this is will become like that too. The father and son relationship already looks promising. Now we just need some kickass female characters!

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Loved it. Really great stuff.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Improvised weapons became common in the comics as the series progressed. I'd be very surprised if the tv series doesn't end up using some as well, especially since the show has already made a point of Rick addressing the issue of ammunition.

Frank Darabont has discussed the possibility of introducing a character in season 2 from the comics named Michonne, which would actually bring her into the tv series much earlier than she debuted in the comics (issue #19). With her katana, I can guarantee she'd fit your hope quite well.