Is Netflix a Rip-off?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral James Kirk, Mar 4, 2008.

1. stormleader

stormleader Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just as another example of their instant viewing, I have three computers in the house, and a 6Mbps connection. All three computers were streaming with various instant view movies, and I did not experience any lag while I accessed other websites. Instant viewing is terrific. The quality is excellent, too. The load times? About 10 seconds on average in our house.

2. ladyheather69

ladyheather69 Captain Captain

I agree with everyone else that has posted. I love Netflix. Have used them for several years and have had no complaints. One or two discs that didn't work or were scratched, but you let them know and they send a replacement asap. I even had one movie, don't remember the title, for about three months. Just never felt like watching it...I finally sent it back and got the next one on the list(I have the three at a time deal). Now Blockbuster would have charged my credit card already and made me "buy" the movie if I had kept it that long! :)

And speaking of Blockbuster, the local one here in town just went out of business. Been around for a long time...found that an interesting bit of news.

3. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I'm on the 4 at a time plan (no cable, so I rely on DVDs for my viewing) and I've never had any major problems. When I have had things get lost in the mail or come in unplayable, they replace it immediately. No regrets, well worth the money.

If there's something coming out that I know I'm going to want to see, I put it at the top of my queue the minute it gets listed, and I almost always get the disk a day or two after the release. Until then of course, they just treat my #2 selection as #1. For instance, "The Mist" is sitting at the top of my queue, which releases on 3/24.

4. stormleader

stormleader Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Watch Instantly library gets bigger everyday. They had recently added Star Trek Generations and Star Trek XI. It's only a matter of time until they add more.

5. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Woah, no shit?! ;) :rommie:

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Assholes!

I knew the movie was done and they weredelaying it for no reason! :D

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Netflix. They have the absolute best customer service department I have ever encountered, and their unlimited instant watch service is great. There's actually some decent movies and TV Shows.

8. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

Blockbuster is the one that's a ripoff and always has been, long before renting by mail started. Another vote for awesome Netflix.

9. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Admiral Admiral

Netflix has been awesome.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Well I did it. Last night I cancelled Blockbuster Online and signed up for Netflix. Today got an e-mail telling me I'll get my movies by tomorror. That's some fast service for ya. With Blockbuster Online-forever to be known as B.O. because they stink-you'd be lucky to get them in three days. Usually had to wait four or five. I'm pretty impressed with the Netflix website as well and the way that it really wants to know what I like so it can pleasure me. Oh if only most women were as accomadating as Netflix... ;)

11. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

^^^

Wait...aren't you married with children? :confused:

12. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

Count me as one more happy flixer....

Started with 3 at a time back in '04 and am now at 7 at a time! My only complaint is that they don't process movies on Saturday!

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its not the US postal service. We would prefer that they moved their disc on Saturdays. I don't know if they are union or not but even if they weren't the laws in many states would force overtime payment and/or a part time work force and higher cost to ship on Saturday. The only hope would be if they lost market share to Blockbuster if they shipped on Saturday.

14. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.....

The hubby and I got Netflix after Blockbuster (or Cocksucker, as we call them) pissed us off for the LAST time! That was almost 3 years ago.

We love, love, love, love, LOVE Netflix!! :bolian::bolian::bolian: Their customer service is top notch, the turnaround is amazing and I just love the fact that you can never (whether it would be categorized as your fault or not) be charged a late fee.

15. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess they had shipping problems at one of the distribution centers I was supposed to get a movie from on Monday. I didn't even notice, but I got an e-mail that I'm getting a 5% credit on next month's bill for the inconvenience.

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

17. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The turn around time for our house is about four days, but with four a month service, it still works pretty well.

And, another approval of instant watch. I'm currently rewatching the first season of Sanctuary.

18. Um, no I don't think it's a ripoff, unless you watch like 1 or 2 dvds a month total then maybe it is, but even that is not really a 'ripoff' its just you not using the service. But also you are paying for the convenience factor. Watch it whenever you want, no video store trips, (hopefully) fast delivery.

For instance... in under a month I watched the entire first season of Dexter and True Blood. To buy that's 18 bucks for one, 38 bucks for another to buy. Someone else can calculate if you rented those disc by disc at Blockbuster but at 4 bucks a pop that's pretty expensive.

Cost for me? 16 bucks. and that's with all the convenience factors (and the following week I used "Instant View" on computer to watch the 2nd season of Dex).

Netflix = fantastic.

19. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

so Ive noticed that 3 of the anime titles I had on my list have suddenly been moved to the Save list. This includes the 1st & 3rd volumes of a 4 volume set. Does this mean that they lost their copies & arent going to restock them? :(

20. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It means that the studio has taken that title out of production and the copies Netflix had have been damaged or lost