Enterprise post tv finale relaunch

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Janos, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

What's technically the first ENT novel that takes place after the TV series finale? Is it the MACO one or the one with Trip on the cover? Sorry, I'm away from my laptop so don't have the titles handy.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first post-finale novel is The Good That Men Do, which is also known as the one that re-wrote TATV.

The MACO one you mention is Last Full Measure, which actually takes place during the Xindi mission of season 3, but sets up a certain plot element which is a key point to the post-finale novels.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't so much set it up as it teases it. Last Full Measure was published after TATV aired, and gave us a clue as to what direction the post-finale novels would take.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last Full Measure by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin was published in 2006 and is set during ENT Season Three, but features a prologue and epilogue set in the 23rd Century that contains some teasers for how the post-finale ENT series would unfold.

The actual post-series novels are as follows:

- The Good That Men Do by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin: Published 2007
    - Kobayashi Maru by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin: Published 2008
    - The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing by Michael A. Martin: Published 2009
    - The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin: Published 2011

5. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

I was wondering, are they any good?

6. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Me too.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And "Kobayashi Maru", of course, sets up an event followed up by the "Destiny" trilogy, an event based upon an image in a "Ships of the Line" calendar.

Haven't read the two lone Martin books, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the post-ENT stories, and the Hoshi and MACO novels, too.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

There's been some negative reactions to the Romulan War stuff, but I've enjoyed all of these books. To Brave the Storm did suffer from being heavily cut back - it was originally going to be two longer books.

9. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The good that men do - convoluted, regarding both writing style and plot.
    The romulan war novels - underwhelming, especially when considering the subject.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid not. It's The Romulan Bore.:(

I loved Enterprise and was really looking forward to the post-series novels.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually, no, it doesn't. That may have been the original intent, but the dates are off; what happens to Columbia at the end of Kobayashi Maru takes place a year before the events depicted in the first flashback chapter of Destiny: Gods of Night. And Columbia does appear in the first Romulan War book, disappearing midway through once the timeline of that book catches up to the events of Destiny.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:I like the Enterprise relaunch novels .I enjoyed reading them. I hope someday we'll have more Enterprise novels being published that during the tv series or another after the Romulan war there certainly storylines in the last novel taht left alot of unaswered questions that could be explored in another book .

13. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say it benefited from it personally. I found the first Romulan War book really tedious, but found To Brave the Storm reasonably engaging; it managed to continue most of the many threads without labouring them.

Sadly I wouldn't put any of the post-TV Enterprise books in my favourite-Trek pile though; I've found them all rather mediocre. Which is a real shame as I was a big fan of the TV series.

To Brave the Storm seemed like a pretty definite ending to the series to me. So I'm curious to see where it goes next. If it goes anywhere at all.

14. Janos

I haven't read the Romulan War books as I was anticipating a later omnibus. That said, I understood for some reason that the Romulan War was going to be at least 3 novels not 2. Isn't Brave the Storm just #2? Are there more RW books coming or (without major plot detail spoilers :bolian:) is the War over at the end of Brave the Storm?

15. RANDY1888

RANDY1888 Guest

That's good question that I would like to know as well! [​IMG]

16. Christopher

The Romulan War was initially planned as a trilogy, but it got cut back to two books. To Brave the Storm covers the period that was going to be in books 2-3.

17. Janos

Thanks. Was that a sales thing or was the plan changed mid-production? Do you know if the 2 books will be collected?

Also, is there a lit plan going for ENT?

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

In my opinion, cutting The Romulan War back to two books was detrimental to its overall quality. I loved Beneath the Raptor's Wing, but To Brave the Storm was frustrating, because it lost the measured, in-depth coverage and broad canvas of the first. Instead it felt rushed; interesting developments barely had time to register before we were on to the next event. It really does seem like two books worth of material forced into one, sadly.

19. Christopher

I'm not in a position to know the answers to any of those questions.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Michael A. Martin has been reported to have indicated on Facebook that there are currently no plans for future ENT novels.