Miss Chicken (the cat) is ill again.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

We buried two dogs at our old house, and told the new owners exactly where we buried them. Both dogs had rose bushes planted over their burial sites, which the new owners promptly ripped out, along with the rest of the garden we spent years cultivating. If they come across Copper's or Rufus' remains that's entirely their own fault.

Both that house and our current house were built in the 1930s, so there's a chance that either or both gardens have previous owners' pets buried in the gardens as well. Our current garden has one of our cats buried in it (we've also buried four pet rats, but I doubt there's much of them left by now). At my parents' old house in Toronto, however, we weren't allowed to bury our dog. She had to be cremated.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

In our former home, where we lived for almost 30 years, we buried 3 dogs (Wookie, Barney and Punky) and one cat named Onslow - Miss Chicken's brother - who was killed when the dog next door broke down the fence and got into our yard. Miss Chicken and Onslow were 5 months old at the time and she managed to cimb a tree out of the dog's reach.

We also dug up the remains of a cat not long after moving into the house.

I still remember exactly were my very first cat is buried. Her name was Sam and she was a kitten when she died. I was 7 years old at the time and my Dad buried her at the side of the house and myself and my two sisters attended the funeral. We fashioned a cross out of two small planks of wood and painted her name on it. That cross stood for years.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Was Onslow named in honor of Hyacinthe's brother in law, Onslow, played by Geoffrey Hughes in 'Keeping Up Appearances'?

4. Miss Chicken

Yes, he was.

5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I just read this... so sorry about your cat. But it sounds like she was loved VERY much! Hope you're ok! :)

6. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

That made me smile. :)

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Me, too. I loved that show and still watch it whenever it's on.

8. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you notice Orac Zen's changed location and signature? Another loved pet lost :(

Miss Kitten, that urn looks very pretty! I haven't seen anything like that yet here in Germany. But perhaps that's because I live in the country where everyone has a garden to bury their pets in.
    Most of my former pet rats and hamsters are buried in my huge (15 gallon) flower pots on the terrace under sage, thyme, rosemary and clematis. One of my hamsters suffered a stroke while eating and still had his cheek pouches full. 2 years later, sunflowers, sesame and oats suddenly started to sprout :D
    My last hamster got buried in my parents' garden between a rose bush and the rhubarb, next to three of our Alsatians. I expect some exotic grasses and strawberries to grow there soon.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's kind of nice.

10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

In my family, we buried hamsters or buried them at sea, depending on their size.

11. Miss Chicken

It is illegal to keep hamsters and gerbils in Australia. I have never seen either in real life.

We have a garden that we could have buried Miss Chicken in. I have always buried pets in the past. However Miss Chicken was so special to me that I didn't want to leave her behind if we ever move.

12. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

When I was a child, my family gave a goldfish a burial at sea, by which I mean it was flushed down the toilet.

13. RJDiogenes

That's interesting. What's the reason for that?

14. Miss Chicken

Because they could become pests if they escaped. We have enough problems with rabbits, cats becoming feral.

Pet rabbbits are banned in Queensland, ferrets are banned in Queensland and the Northern Territory. Axolotls, pythons and pet turtles are banned in Tasmania. Goldfish cannot be imported into Tasmania but we are allowed to breed from existing stock.

15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I understand about the pet rabbits - they'd propably catch myxomatosis really quick. And not introducing hunters like pythons and ferrets makes sense as well. I don't realize at first glance what could be so dangerous about turtles, though.

In order to avoid pets from breeding they could permit the import of only male specimens. Forbidding the risky species completely is easier, though, and cheaper.

We are atm experiencing a big invasion by Asian ladybugs. Within less than 5 years they have driven most of our 30 native species close to extinction. They are pretty and they eat even more greenflies than our ladybugs but they propagate worse than greenflies and need more warmth so that in fall they invade buildings by thousands. Our native ones are far better behaved and spend the winter in snail shells, under loose bark or in woodstacks.

16. RJDiogenes

That's fascinating. The idea of a feral hamster never occurred to me. :D

17. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

^ Goodness knows we have enough wild, mad creatures roaming the bush. I ahve this vision of hamsters with giant teeth, waiting.... in the dark...

18. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I have this vision of Australians arming themselves with the Holy Hand Grenade to combat the hamster with giant teeth waiting in the dark.

19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That's also what I was referring to.

20. RJDiogenes

Now I fear the Hamster Apocalypse.

Australis, SyFy called. They want you to write that up as a movie.