The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i finally found an 11th Doctor action figure. i say finally because for some reason Doctor Who toys have been hard to find in my area.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Scored the Kmart-exclusive AT-ST Scout Walker(Vintage Collection packaging) a couple of hours ago! They had just put them on the shelves after taking what seemed to be an interminable amount of time resetting the Star Wars aisle, and it cost me $34.99. It doesn't come with a figure such as a Walker commander or driver, but those will be out in a Kmart-exclusive two-pack along with a set of exclusive Ewoks in about a month or two.

It would have made a whole lot more sense to release the Walker, AT-ST figures and the Ewoks at the same time so collectors and kids would have the figures to put inside their Walkers as soon as they purchased them, but since we're dealing with Hasbro as well as Kmart I guess we should just be happy that they're getting released at all.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Congrats. :techman:

I held off getting an 11th Doctor once I heard there was going to be a box set featuring all 11 Doctors (I also knew it was going to be quickest--if not currently, the only way--to get the Eighth Doctor, which is the only Doctor figure that hasn't been released separately, as far as I know).

4. cooleddie74

Given that he had just one on-screen appearance in the Doctor Who franchise I'm not that shocked that Paul McGann doesn't get a lot of merchandise, but you'd think that---if for no other reason than to have a complete set of figures representing the entire Time Lord saga---they'd have a couple of them floating around.

It's like a line of Star Trek figures without at the very least a couple of Jeffrey Hunters being in circulation somewhere.

5. cooleddie74

New, upcoming Walmart exclusive! A Clone Wars Ultimate Gift Set featuring a straight repack of the currently hard-to-find Commander Wolffe(Phase 2 armor) figure. At least I think it's a straight repack. From what I've read it seems to be the exact same figure as the individually carded one that was just released.

[​IMG]

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah. The box set is currently the only way (other than eBay) to get all eleven Doctors.
    Kind of like the original Mego line (which I did have as a kid).

Speaking of Trek toys, a dream I had was for a 3.75-inch line that ran the whole spectrum, from TOS to Star Trek XII (with a line of ships, phasers, etc., to match). But I think the reality of the current toy industry--in particular, action figures--makes that idea unrealistic, especially with Hasbro now having the license (perhaps they'll let another company have a sub-license for that--hopefully).

One thing I've been seeing Hasbro and Mattel moving towards is releasing figures solely through subscription clubs, which is essentially the same as making them rare (i.e., expensive) online exclusives.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

My DC collection has been expanding by leaps and bounds lately, so I figures it's time for some updated pics:

DC Heroes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DC Villains:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Green Lantern Corps:
    [​IMG]

The other Lanterns:
    [​IMG]

Since I have a strict "1 version of any character" rule on the Heroes and Villains shelf, Batman has to have his own shelf due to the ridiculous number of Batman family figures produced:
    [​IMG]

8. cooleddie74

Thanks for all the great new and colorful pics, guys. This thread just gets more awesome all the time, and it's thanks to your loyal participation.

9. OdoWanKenobi

Agreed. I love this thread. I love showing off my stuff, and seeing other people show off their stuff, too. Heck, I even love this thread when we're all complaining about distribution.

10. cooleddie74

Speaking of...

Hasbro su...

Never mind. :p

11. OdoWanKenobi

My luck with toys has been so great lately, that even I can't complain about them right now. Of course I can complain about my lack of self control when I check my bank statement. :o

12. cooleddie74

Apparently the Grand Moff Tarkin and Jar Jar waves of Vintage are starting to show up in the best numbers of any wave since TPM in January and February. Admittedly, it wouldn't take much at all to have better distribution and stocking than the last few assortments, but the store reports of Waves 5 and 6 hitting places like Kmart in strength is encouraging. It'd be a shame if Hasbro started clearing up some of the distribution issues right as the final wave of Vintage is a limited run, online exclusive(I'd absolutely love to see all 12 of those beauties on store pegs), but any retail improvement is welcome.

13. OdoWanKenobi

Well, my wallett can breath a little sigh of relief. I just got an email telling me that Hot Toys Captain America is delayed until December, Thor until January, and Loki until March. Still, the Avengers line has been getting hit with crazy delays. Nick Fury is finally getting out, but Hawkeye was supposed to hit in June, and now they're saying September.

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Loving the DC figures, OdoWan! If I collected, I think I'd go for the Justice Society and the Legion. Oh - the Lanterns are great too - is there not a G'nort?

15. OdoWanKenobi

No, sadly G'nort has not been made. :(

You would have a hell of a time with the Legion. Not a single Legion member was ever released in the main line. Instead, Matty put out a twelve-pack of Legion members that has skyrocketed in price on the aftermarket. Starman was part of the Club Infinite Earths subscriptions, but again, aftermarket prices. He's a nice figure that could fit in either the Legion or the JSA.

JSA members shouldn't be too hard, though. Jay Garrick is the only one that fetches large aftermarket prices, since he was also a subscription figure.

16. OdoWanKenobi

I've grabbed one of the latest DC Universe figures, the "All Star" wave that is going to be our only retail offering for the remainder of the year. Here's Superboy Prime:
    [​IMG]

He's a fantastic looking figure, and I'm glad to have him on my shelf. There is however, a slight scale problem:
    [​IMG]

He's taller than Superman. What the heck, Matty?

17. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, good, maybe I can scrape up the $ for Hawkeye now. Unless he's already sold out. :p

18. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, preorders for Hawkeye are sold out pretty much everywhere. If you get on the waitlist at Sideshow, though there's a good chance it will convert.

19. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Figures. :p

Oh, well. I do have my little Hawkeyes.

Speaking of- "That man is playing Galaga! Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did."
    [​IMG]

Hawkeye v. Captain Jack Harkness. This will end well...
    [​IMG]

20. OdoWanKenobi

Where did you get those tiny arcade cabinets? :lol: