Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

If it's a prequel then it won't have Ripley. At least not Ellen Ripley.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Weaver/I meant "new Ripley" metaphorically.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope the current rumour about casting for Ripley means this movie's version of Ripley, not the actual character... that would seriously suck... almost as much as killing Hicks and Newt. This is a prequel not a reboot, right?

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't a female protaginist one of the trademarks of the Alien franchise? Hell, even the AvP movies adhered to that.

5. Gaith

Weaver:

QFT.

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

I wish Weaver had that kind of insight when she suggested the following she wanted for the Ripley character,

1. Ripley be bald
    2. Ripley have sex with the alien
    3. Ripley dies

:rolleyes:

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He actually saion the Alien commentary track way back when that if they did another Alien movie it should be about that race, which was a trifle tongue-in-cheek (which in itself may cast doubts on the validity of this I dunno).

And my two cents... honestly, why not? Is there some kind of rule that the Alien movies should only feature this one speicifc alien species? The only issue to me is whether or not they're able to execute it in an effective manner - in the original film (which I watched again last night as I am wont to do on Halloween) there's little surprise at coming into contact with aliens, but there's also a chasm of incomprehension.

If the Star Trek franchise is about going out into space, confronting the unknown and discovering it can be not too dissimilar to ourselves, then Alien is about discovering the horrible and inexplicable and incomprehensible in the skies beyond (that is, "The Corbomite Manuver" would end wth Balok eating the Enterprise crew, to use an awkward analogy). The Growers don't have to be malicious or cruel, but they do have to be strange and difficult to understand and communicate with.

I don't even necessarily object to 'men have sex but can't reproduce', since of course, a man is impregnated via fellatio and then gives birth via a rather messy Caesarean... not to mention the attempted rape-by-magazine by Ash on Ripley and the generally sexual undertones of Giger's designs. Body horror and uncomfortable and bizarre sexual practices are kind of iconically relevant to this franchise. Just got to be handled as pretty screwed up, really.

Because if there's one thing sci-fi films really lack, it's male protagonists.

8. Deckerd

two out of three ain't bad. I don't know why people rend their garments over A3. It wasn't that bad before the 'proper' version came out on dvd and that was excellent.

9. Gaith

^ What makes it so, iyho? What does it add to the series? What has it got to say?

10. Gaith

I agree that it'd be great to have more sci-fi heroines, but I'm not at all sure that insisting that each Alien movie be female-centric is the answer, or even helpful. If an Alien prequel were to center upon a Ripley variant, I could easily see other sci-fi moviemakers avoiding female protagonists for fear of looking like an Alien ripoff.

11. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

make the main protagonist a synthetic & show whats going on from his/her point of view. That could be a new angle. :techman:

12. Gaith

Interesting idea, but would a non-organic have reason to fear an alien? The first movie certainly doesn't seem to think so, at least not necessarily.

13. Kegg

I more got the impression that Ash had no sense of self-preservation, rather then he wasn't threatened by the alien. (Consider how blissfully unconcerned he seems to be with his own evident death after Ripley reconnects him.)

It's why he's an android. The crew, including himself, is expendable, and only an android would be cool with that.

14. melancholymecha

Bishop seemed pretty fearful of them.

15. Deckerd

Bishop was a different android. Differently wired I mean. I don't think they should have a female protagonist in the prequel just because the Alien franchise created one of the most celebrated ones in cinematic history. It's not a good enough reason on its own and to my mind detracts from the achievement of the first three films. If they create a completely different central character who happens to be female, then fine.

16. melancholymecha

yeah that's right he said something to Ripley about that(Ash's) model being glitchy or something(lol)

I kinda have this hope/dream whatever that R. Scott will cast Sharlto Copley as a synthetic. I think it would be a role that suits him. And a serious sci-fi role too(anything but that lame funny Yoda alien role for MIB3 thats being rumored.)

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours

3 new characters in the prequel.

Cool. I love the android element.

an all CGI character? I guess a Jar Jar binks-type stand in for Ridley Scott...
    http://io9.com/5709710/ridley-scotts-alien-prequel-gets-a-title-and-some-insane-new-characters

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

19. Kegg

H.R. Giger is essential.

It's just not Alien to me without Giger. Moreso even then Ridley Scott.

So I chalk this up as pretty good news if he goes through with it.

20. melancholymecha

Sharlto for the role please! unless he's supposed to look like the old Bishop, but wouldnt L. Henrickson now be too old for the part?

also "David"? the same name as the creepy boybot from AI?