Your ideal New Trek Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jmampilly, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

Why not making a really-really new Star Trek that has no connection with the previous Star Trek movie / series? If they can, a new universe; where there is no connection with the Federation, Vulcan, Romulan, and even Klingon. Make them new. Very-very new and clean. So the writers don't need to worry about the old canon.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What would be the point of calling it Star Trek, if it is unrecognizable as such? Kirk and Company have been woefully underutilized since the cancellation of TOS yet still are widely liked and recognized by general audiences.

They are the best assets the franchise has and should be the focus of a full-on reboot.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Would Number One still be on the Enterprise? The Talos IV mission was "13 years ago" during the first season. Majel was around 30 then, so the character might be in her 40s by the time of Kirk's command. She might be in charge of a sister ship to the Enterprise.

If still on the Enterprise, perhaps she's the chief engineer by then, as the most experienced officer during Pike's day. The "coldly logical" aspect of her personality, which I never really felt through the performance, could be eliminated. And she'd need a real name maybe.

4. BillJ

I'd still have her as XO of the Enterprise. I'd probably compress the time frame a bit so they were contemporaries.

As for a real name? I honestly don't know? It would be needed, but something about giving her a name makes her a little less mysterious. Perhaps it's in her service file and only Kirk and the Doctor know it and never use it when its more than those people in the room.

5. allstar77

allstar77 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

BillJ, you're my favorite poster, so don't take offense. I'm just saying, and perhaps failed in my part, Trek doesn't need to follow a formula. It can be bold and different. For example, beginning with TNG we have the token female in the form fitting outfit: Troi, Kira, Seven, T'Pol. We have a goofy sidekick-like character: Wesley, Quark, Nelix, Phlox. Etc. Vulcan was developed, not created, out of Gene wanting an alien. If one were to take that original premise, yeah, it would be Space Patrol. My original question was more hypothetical rather than suggestive.

6. BillJ

I don't ever take offense here. Everyone is passionate about certain corners of the universe. Mine is TOS. :techman:

But after twenty-five seasons of "other" Trek, I think now is the time to embrace the source material which hasn't had a new TV episode since 1974 (1969 for live action). Could you imagine going forty-years with a monthly Superman or Batman comic that didn't feature Clark Kent/Bruce Wayne?

7. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, but I could imagine a Star Trek series without Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I could imagine several actually. :p

8. BillJ

I think that actually represents part of the problem. That Trek has continued to move further and further away from its source material. :shrug:

9. Hypaspist

Hypaspist Commander Red Shirt

I'd rather it move further away than try to stay inside guidelines too much. Enterprise had potential, but it doesn't feel like it brings anything new to the table. What is the point of a new series if it is limited to doing things we have already seen?

The new movies have a ton of homages, but they are willing to take risks. They flesh out the characters more without making it the point of the movie. They have Romulans who look completely different and act differently than those we've seen before, but they are unmistakably Romulan. I feel like if they had tried to pussyfoot around with them then they wouldn't have been interesting villains.

What if they did the same thing with some of the ways that Trek science works? Would it break anybody's immersion if they had some technobabble that was more pertinent to the story? What if they had a base or a colony on a world with a hostile atmosphere, and they didn't always beam down in their duty uniforms? There are a lot of things they could do that would make it more interesting without having to throw things away - really they would just be adding. It's kind of boring when adding things means that they simply introduce a new alien race, show you its ship types, show you its script, describe its justice system, and so on.

10. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes :) TOS had characters who were archetypes; it turned out that you could add an archetype or two and it would still be Trek.

11. Tim Walker

One thing we learned from Voyager is that the ship needn't be called "Enterprise." Another thing we have learned from VOY and ENT is that the hero ship does not necessarily need to have a conventional saucer/secondary hull/twin nacelle arrangement.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yes, each of the successor series, without the framework of the Star Trek universe to position themselves in, might just as well be a completely different show.

When I started creating my own fictional universe to play in, I started by eliminating some Trek-centric technology, with transporters / teleportation the first thing to go. Then I hit on the idea of pushing my military guys into supporting characters, and making the area of known space much smaller, under 100 light years. My hero ship in that universe is a freighter. Earth is not the center of the stories, though Earth people are the main characters.

13. Tim Walker

Good point about adding things; it may enrich the story telling. :) But what sort of setting would you add elements to? I would have the hero crew aboard a hero-ship/starship-this is more versatile than the alternatives that have been tried. Wagon-Train-to-the Stars is very versatile. So you have your basic setting. And the canon back ground is rich, at least as a source of references.

It occurs to me that by the late 24th century that some of the older colonies will have matured a bit. Enough to the point that they establish secondary colonies. Dissident groups? So you could have a second wave of colonization, with additional diversification of cultures.

One thing that worked well in Andromeda were the "drifts." Essentially cities in space, they were ports of call for starships.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At this point, I think I'd rather be "part of the problem." ;)

15. Tim Walker

Well, the spin off series showed that this could be made to work.

16. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

Although I don't have a fully formed idea for a new series, I have had some thoughts on the subject.

I'd have the show set on a ship that's part of a 12 vessel fleet sent to explore the furthest reaches of either the alpha or beta quadrant. The mission would last 5-10 years and there would be little or no support beyond the other ships in the fleet, each of which could still be weeks away at maximum warp.

This would allow for stories about exploration, diplomacy and action as the case may be. The series would be both episodic and arc based as necessary. The crew might spend one episode at one planet and then a few at another as dictated by the story. New empires or even another federation could be encountered and could either serve as another protagonist or antagonist.

The show could also be set in any century although my personal preference is for the 23rd or 24th.

17. Tim Walker

As much as is practical, reduce the techno-babble.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  18. Brainsucker

Why not? There are another series that make their next series completely new; even in another universe and doesn't has any connection with the previous story, but the viewer still can accept the new series and call it as the next series of the franchise.

The example : Japanese anime : Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise.

That's why I suggest that Star Trek should be refresh their everything. It is not a reboot, it just to make a new Star Trek that still fresh and not chained by the establish canon.

19. Tim Walker

Brainsucker, are you thinking of something like nuBSG, but applied to Star Trek?

20. Brainsucker

I don't know. I just want Star Trek as a fresh entertainment again; not just an old idea that we repeat again and again. Something that is not strained by an established but already old canon. So everything is fine for me.