The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Re: Scathing review of the movie

Damned "real fans"! :mad:

2. judgeroy

judgeroy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I know I am late posting on here, but I have been lurking for quite awhile but I wanted to add my 2 cents for what it is worth.

This move rocks the house. 9/10! The fx where great, the actors really nailed the characters and the plot, I thought was, with a few holes, great! Some people here have quite a bit of a problem understanding Nero and I will say that if you pay attention to the movie, you will understand his motivation w/o the Countdown graphic novel. During the scene with Spock prime, he filled in a lot of details, but during the scene where Nero was interrogating Pike he spilled the rest of the beans. Nero indicated that he (paraphrase) would still save Romulus after he had destroyed all of the Federation homeworld and he was just waiting not only for Spock for revenge but also to get his hands on the red matter to meets his ends.

The only real problem I had with it was Kirks meteoric rise to Captaincy. However, this could easily go from plot hole to plot device in the next movie. Kirk has the talent, guts and intelligence, what he lacks though is experience. In the sequel I could see the writers having him choke or blow a big crisis and strip his of the Captains bars and bust him down the Number One on the Enterpise and making say Garrovick the next Captain. Kirk then has to reearn the Captaincy ending with the classic line that the Captaincy is his first best destiny, anything else is a waste of materals. Thanks for the opportunity to shout out.

3. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

People can complain all they want about the lack of substance is this version of Trek...but if you don't make the movie ADHD'ish, then you will not hook the new iPod generation for which the movie was primarily targeted. Now that they've accomplished getting the fish hooked, they can put the meat back in the stories, giving us the more Familiar Trek we are used to without the Cannon dead weight.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's spelled "canon." :rolleyes:

Oh, yeah. The old they're saving the good stuff for later argument. Like that's gonna happen.

5. CordrazineOD

CordrazineOD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think his bad side as shown in the movie was all THAT bad, and he's still an ethical role model b/c at the end he offered to assist the Narada (even though Nero's refusal ultimately necessitated his ship's destruction to try to avoid the risk he might emerge alive and uncaptured on other side of black hole).

As for the modern world not being able to relate to Star Trek characters, that's the modern world's problem and that's what has to change, not Star Trek. Culture has really kind of devolved since the altruistic ethos of the 60s---something that Trek must remain responsible for representing. Kirk's promotion bends the rules but it's not born out of corruption like so much of it is today in this society. But Trek can't reflect this society to that extent, Trek's an ideal to aspire toward.

6. Vigilance

Vigilance Commander Red Shirt

I love how people who hate this movie have to start thread after thread that boil down to "look! I'm not alone! praise for this movie is not universal!"

Wow, really? No shit.

It is however, pretty darn close. A metacritic average of 83 is better than some movies that have won oscars.

That doesn't mean your opinion doesn't matter, but finding ANYONE who agrees with the minority is not really a cuase for celebration every time is it? Or are all the folks who hate this movie such special little snowflakes that we must all stop and acknowledge the beauty and uniqueness of every single one?

7. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

I went back at the theater to see the movie once again and I enjoyed it as much as the first time, even though the first time, people were yelling and applauding as each well known character would appear on screen (also when Spock did his Vulcan pinch).

And I'm pretty sure this time, the cut was different. Somehow there was two or three neat cuts in the sound when changing scenes. I can't put my finger on it the those cuts were badly done. I wonder if distributors or theaters can or will do something to a movie they're showing.

8. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

Meh, who gives a shit about the spelling, you knew what I was talking about. And yes, they can add the meat to their story later on if they so wish to.

9. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since I teared up at this moment the 4 times I've seen the movie, I can't help you :lol:
    And it's not like I can see it a 5th to check :(

10. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who's celebrating? Do you think that those of us that didn't like the film didn't want to like it? I went in with high hopes after seeing all the positive reviews.

11. SVD

SVD Captain Captain

The beautiful Sacramento Valley near Chico, CA
    Just saw the film yesterday and it made me want to join.

Anyway, here's my scorecard for the film:

enjoyment: With the special effects, the urgency in the plot, and the peppering of humorous elements it gets a 9.5/10

Say it ain't so: A spoiler made it though the shields I had up against them in the form of a post on, and by a member of, a Heroes message board I use with the words "so what if it's an alternate universe..." This was confirmed by Amanda falling victim to the destruction of Vulcan and the whole shebang not resetting when Nero's ship was destroyed. Modifier of -1

Kosher quotient (initial): With an alternate reality now established and the hands of new folks, I accessed another modifier of -2

Kosher quotient (final): With knowledge of a sequel in the works continuing the story from here, the affore mentioned -2 modifier was rendered null. I can't wait to see where it goes from here

Final score: 9/10

12. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty convinced that this is the case with a few people.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Exactly.

J.

14. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Quite positive things, some might say.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Not really. It's an easy road to see the worst in things.
    People are generally predisposed to negativity, and more negativity feeds upon that. It's quite simple to hate something. It requires no effort.

J.

16. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A first officer of a ship. Have the right to disagree with the Captain order and plan of action. But the Captain have the final say so. Also the Captain doesn't have the right to have the first officer remove from the bridge. Because say first officer disagree with him.

A ship Captain first priority is to defend any planets, bases, cities, and unarm ships from any enemy attack. No matter if they are the only ship there, and they are out number and out gun. The ship Captain can send out a message to the fleet. By either, using the ship main communication system or by using one of the ship support craft.

17. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

These forums tend to demonstrate that very well. I just find it curious that somebody thinks it's worthy of a personal comment on the reviewer here, yet it is accepted when so many posters do it.

18. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got back from my second viewing. Even the things that bothered me the first time (Kirk as a kid, the product placements, etc.) were easy to overlook this time. The only thing I'm still not clear on is how old Spock expected to save Romulus. If he fails (which he did) the sun goes nova. If he succeeds, the sun is absorbed in a black hole. Doesn't Romulus need its sun in order to survive? Or did I miss something in Spock's explanation of what happened? That one thing aside, I really REALLY love this movie. Not anywhere near as endearing as The Wrath of Khan, but it's no less of an enjoyable ride.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

The star that is causing the trouble is not the Romulan system's star, so having it absorbed with the red matter reaction would not have troubled Romulus, if done in time (which it was not). It is not especially clear in the movie (if I hadn't read Countdown beforehand, I'm not sure I'd have understood the explanation correctly at my first viewing).

20. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, well that does make more sense. I just wish it had been made clearer in the movie. Thanks for that bit of info. :techman: