Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome new interview with the Okudas on TrekCore. It explains that they actually ARE preserving the two different Legato/Curry styles (which probably explains why some shots we've seen appear more contrasty than others).

2. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

wow heading over there to read right away.
    just this mssg makes me feel more comfortable immediately.

3. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

While I'm sure only the best of intentions were made to the material in season 2, its undeniable that staying as faithful to the original and moving away from the stylistic choices made in season 1 has been met with mixed critique.

Personally I'd like all 7 seasons to look as similar to the work done on season 1 as possible because it was not only true and respectful to the original, it also improved the viewing experience of Next Gen beyond the vastly improved live action material, the FX work was frankly sublime, I found myself surprised on many occasions how brilliant the planets looked for example. It was also consistent, the show as many pointed out looked different every few episodes; the way the Enterprise was lit, the look of the planets etc, again another aspect many were never fond of. The work CBS-D did transcended that, from episode to episode the FX style was uniform only enhancing the viewing experience.

Season 2, I can only judge by the 2 trailers and a dozen or so caps we've been shown, but from what I've seen of this different take on the effects I can only say I find it disappointing in comparison to what came before. I don't want to pick them to pieces as they have been before but the shots lack the vibrance and power of the FX we enjoyed with season 1. The 'original viewing experience' doesn't translate to HD very well to those who have picked up on it.

Season 2 in my opinion lacks the 'upgrade' that was done so well to Season 1, but that's just my two cents.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I guess it all comes down to the nett effect, which for me, is thus far a noticeable step down from season one. I do, however, appreciate the commentary and explanations offered by those directly involved - Mr. Okuda etc.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a step down, but to my mind it's a very small one. These effects still look lightyears better than how they used to.

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I'm not really interested in the explanation, some of the pics I've seen of season two suck, there's no nicer way to say it, it looks like blurry crap. I don't care if it's better than what is on the DVDs, what matters is that it looks worse than season 1 on Blu-Ray and that is inexcusable. After I've seen what's possible I will not accept anything less, I can tolerate it this time and I will support the project by buying season 2 but I hope the guys in charge realize that they made a mistake with season 2 and replace the people working on it, they are clearly no match for the other team.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Great interview, Trekcore has really become the go-to place for news.

RAMA

8. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Why do I get the feeling that there was a contest of wills, and what we are seeing is the compromise that was reached to please both.

9. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

I think some of these shots do look worse than the DVD's: lightening on the ships looks flat, shadows are missing, ... It's not because the new image is in a higher resolution that it's also automatically better. What's IN that high resolution image must also count for something.

I seriously doubt anything like that is going to happen. According to the interview, everybody over at CBS is patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

In terms of planets, I wouldn't be surprised if seasons 3, 5 and 7 end up looking more like season 2 rather than the other way around. At least that's what I read between the lines from this part of the interview where Max Gabl's work is merely described as experimental:

The worst thing of course will be that after TNG has been completed these guys will probably also be hired to work on DS9 which relied even more than TNG on shadows.

What I took from the interview is that Dan Curry is in charge of the second team and everyone is perfectly happy with that. I don't think there was a contest. The Okoda's simply seem to allow each team to do their own thing as long as it fits within the (too?) general directive of "matching the original effects" using original elements when possible.

10. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

Am I the only one that thinks there's something seriously wrong with the lightening on the Repulse in both these shot's of The Child?
    http://tng.trekcore.com/images/thechild_hd_011.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/thechild_repulse_hd.jpg

And what the hell happened to the green X inside the space station that's cleary visible in the DVD screenscap (http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x01/child246.jpg) but has turned into a green square as if someone attempted to "fix it" in Paint?
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/thechild_tangostation_hd.jpg

11. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's pretty simple: The react to our criticism like "They are idiots, because they dont know what they are talking about. We are the professionals, and because of that we know: Every single shot we did for Season 2 is pure perfection. lol, f*ck these amateurs on teh internets."

I can only respond with "The Enterprise, arriving at planet Blur":
    [​IMG]

BTW: The E looks out of place here too. Not only because the planet is low-res and blurry compared to the ship, but also this time the E gets more light than the planet in the background, which seems to get a lower light level, thus the E looks too bright or the planet doesn look bright enough. As result both elements dont blend together well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  12. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's such a silly statement. CBS takes viewer feedback very seriously, they're putting this product out to be bought by fans, and they have actively encouraged fan feedback right from Day 1.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I think a lot of people on these boards do have some technical knowledge of the processes involved, but really, that's by the by. For me, the only concern is how the finished product looks/sounds on my home cinema system - and that's it.

14. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I'm hoping that means HTV gets the boot.

When I initially heard Dan, Doug and others from the TNG days were handling Season 2, I was over the moon. I never dreamed their efforts would have turned out this way.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Ah, so it seems the original footage of Earl Boen as Nagilum was still knocking about after all! Very cool, and looks like a pretty faithful recreation.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Thanks for doing these interviews, FrontierTrek! Very interesting stuff. It's nice to know we'll be getting a trailer for season 3 on the new set. December 6th can't come soon enough!

17. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Seconded! I'm giddy with anticipation for the Season 3 trailer, probably more than I am about seeing most of Season 2! If I could have only one piece of Trek in HD, it'd probably be TNG Season 3, so I hope CBS-D will maintain the high standards they set for the first season.

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Glad you enjoyed it!

The Season 3 trailer is AMAZING. CBS Digital have done an INCREDIBLE job on Season 3!

19. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Well, there's one way you could ease my concerns! ;)

20. senten

senten Ensign Red Shirt

Will we be seeing this on TrekCore soon? :)