Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1st

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shilliam Watner, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

And of course you skip over how India has universal healthcare for a population of 1.2 billion.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Post proof or retract.

3. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Medicare is widely understood and acknowledged to be run with a lower overhead than most private insurers, and the absence of a profit motive is an added benefit.

Whatever point you were trying to make by bringing it up, you may want to try again...

BTW, does the 1939 in your username refer to when you were born? Are you enrolled in Medicare?

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The opposition to the ACA is something that will be laughed about in 10 years time. It's not going anywhere other than being broadened in the future, likely to something similar to a public option.

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Unless I'm mistaken, "Obamacare" isn't a government healthcare system. It's a series of laws that affect private companies. These laws require that the companies allow anyone to enroll and that the companies can't drop them if they get sick, which they used to do. They also can no longer deny coverage, which they used to do.

Maybe you should understand what the issue is or at least see a source of information that isn't some rightwing rag.

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

So is this health care thing going to be similar to what we have in the UK, everybody gets access to healthcare regardless of work, income or ability to pay?

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Click "Multi-Quote" on the posts you wish to respond to and then hit "Reply" down at the bottom so they'll all be compiled in one post instead of a bunch of separate posts.

8. IndyJones

No.

Which makes the Sky Is Falling rhetoric even more ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

No, we still have to pay the insurance companies. They just can't kick us off anymore. The insurance companies used to be able to kick people off for really any reason they wanted, usually because we required them. They like to take in money, but hate spending it. The people against the ACA are defending their desire to be money vampires.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_India

"The lack of extensive and adequately funded public health services pushes large numbers of people to incur heavy out of pocket expenditures on services purchased from the private sector. Out of pocket expenditures arise even in public sector hospitals, since lack of medicines means that patients have to buy them. This results in a very high financial burden on families in case of severe illness.

The quality of Indian healthcare is varied. In major urban areas, healthcare is of adequate quality, approaching and occasionally meeting Western standards. However, access to quality medical care is limited or unavailable in most rural areas"

What a model healthcare system! I'm sure everything will work out great! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So how do these fines work? I admit I haven't been paying too much attention to Obamacare because I already have a personal health insurance plan. Do I need to do anything to avoid being fined? Where will these fines come into play?

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You need to do nothing, you have health insurance.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Good.

I guess I was just more curious about how it's going to work for all the people that don't.

14. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

http://www.businessinsider.com/will-obamacare-destroy-jobs-2013-8

"When it comes into effect in January 2015, Obamacare will require firms with 50 or more full-time employees to offer them affordable health insurance or pay a fine of $2,000-3,000 per worker. That alarms firms that do not already offer coverage. But for many, there is a way round the law."

Welcome to your new PART time job.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...ex-healthcare-system-made-even-163335504.html

We asked Kingsdale, now a director of Wakely Consulting Group, a health care consulting company, if Obamacare was the most efficient way to provide affordable health care to more people.
    John Kingsdale, who helped create and run Mitt Romney's heath care reform program in Massachusetts and has consulted with the Obama White House, says, "“Absolutely not,” he tells us. “We’ve taken the most complex financing system for healthcare in the world and made it even more complex.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/294870/doctors-patients-and-future-obamacare-marc-siegel

"This is because our health-care system is broken, with a bias toward rewarding high tech but not hard work. And instead of addressing the essential problems that many doctors face (too many patients, too many restrictions, diminishing reimbursements, increasing expenses, the ever-present threat of malpractice litigation), Obamacare just extends these problems to more patients."

I know a nurse that complains all the time about ridiculous regulations. Where she has to run an X-ray even though she knows it is completed unnecessary because it is either government (in medicare/medicaid) mandated or mandated by the insurance company. Same thing with prescription drugs. Where she wants to assign a certain drug that has less side effects that could effect this person, but the insurance company mandates that she assigns another one where she know the particular patient will probably not respond well to that particular drug.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-list.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

From Singapore to UK for cervical cancer treatment...

"But, on arriving home, the 34-year-old was horrified to be told by her doctor that the health service was in a ‘shambles’, she would ‘probably die on the waiting list’ – and would be better off going back to Singapore to get treatment there."[LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

Welcome to government run healthcare. Or sorry, government forcing people to buy from insurers that will make this a nightmare for everybody. Oh yeah, I forget "evil insurance" companies because anyone in business is evil, isn't that correct ultra-liberal TrekBBS that doesn't know the first thing about how economies or government works??

Don't worry, sleep peacefully, Obama and the government will take care of you. Keep dreaming your thoughts of those evil capitalist and workers in society who deserve to be screwed over so your lazy ass can get some third-rate medicine that will leave you crapping blood.

[LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

15. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

India is also a second world country. I'm sure that the US, the richest country in the world, could easily do a much better job with a significantly smaller population. Here's a better example: Brazil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_Brazil. Population 200 million, again, somewhat poorer than the US, but definitely not a terrible system.

With our current system, we are paying more than just about any other developed country for less. We are forcing our doctor's offices to hire personnel just to navigate the bureaucracy of numerous different companies - thus increasing our costs. We are paying for people who aren't covered, and thus go for emergency rather than preventative care, which is more expensive and they can't pay for it anyway.

Just about anything is an improvement over our system.

16. IndyJones

Ummm, yeah.

Do you know how many employers have more than 50 employees and don't already provide insurance coverage?

WaPo

One percent of the workforce. And some of them will have coverage through their parents or spouse, others will work for employers who support the President, and still others who will support helping their employees. So, significantly less than one percent of the workforce.

You knew that though, right?

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

The same is true of U.S. health care.

We're great -- arguably the best in the world -- at research and development of new procedures and medications. For complex and/or rare medical conditions, there's no place better to go than the top handful of U.S. research/teaching hospitals.

But we've been terrible at ensuring that everyone has access to basic medical care. And, yes, health care is a human right, per international law.

The U.N. Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which the U.S. has signed, says, "Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control."

The fine is for people who don't have health insurance. Since you already have it, it won't affect you, unless you've gotten a letter from your insurance company saying that their policies have changed and you have to pick a new one, or something like that.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Alex, what part of use multi-quote are you not understanding? You posted two posts in short order with the second one not being a reply to anyone in particular, just more of you ranting and insulting people (the latter of which you need to cut out too). If you do it again you'll receive an infraction.

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you having a separate discussion in your imagination? Because the above statement certainly doesn't fit me, nobody else in this thread has said anything like that, and you do not know enough about them, or me, to make that characterization.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And how does the fine work? The problem I see with this system is that we're still going to have a ton of uninsured people. Most people I know do not have health insurance. Obamacare is not going to suddenly make them go out and sign up. It's still something they'll have to pay for, no matter how "affordable" it might claim to be. These are people that struggle to pay their rent every month; health insurance is a luxury item that they simply can't afford.

So now they're going to be slapped with a fine, which most of them won't pay either (unless it gets deducted from their income taxes or something). I'm just curious to see how all of this is going to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.