Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How much are i-Tunes charging for the downloads?

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

U.S. prices are $1.99 per episode or $9.99 per serial. UK are £1.89 and £9.99 respectively.

Australian iTunes are $2.99 per episode of $14.99 per serial.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

New Zealand is free.

Then again we are barred from downloading them too...

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

just watched the first episode of Enemy of the World. It was probably not a story that would have appealed much to a 10 year old girl which is probably why I only had dim memories of it.

5. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And there was some sneakery involved there as well, as BBC Worldwide didn't want BBC2 pumping for the newly discovered story as part of their then then ongoing "One old adventure for each Doctor" repeat season (as odd as it might sound in this day and age when we expect home media releases almost as soon as a show has finished broadcast, apparently any Who video of a story that had recently been repeated would tend to be a poor seller). IIRC they mislabelled the tapes as something else until after the Mind Robber had started going out or some such.

Of course, back then it was much easier to have a surprise home media release pre-internet. With, it has to be said, somewhat joyless fans scouring every inch of the BBFC website on an hourly basis for every Who related tidbit it's remarkable the Enemy release has managed to creep in unaware. Did they get it classified under a different name (would the BBFC even let you do that?), or are they having it done much closer to release than usual? Either way, nicely played.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

More Troughton is always great news and I look forward to seeing these on DVD.

It does seem a heck of a lucky find in anniversary year though, and I imagine there are a lot of conspiracy theories going round. Was it just sheer luck, did people redouble their efforts because it’s the 50th, or were these episodes secured some time ago and held back?

It is interesting that Moffat decided not only to bring the Great Intelligence back, but also specifically reference the Web of Fear into the bargain.

I’m sure it’s all coincidence, but interesting coincidence all the same.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Anyone disappointed - hoping for more ?

8. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

9. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been such fun watching the fan reaction to all this that it's a shame it's over now.

I have ordered the DVD's but I don't want to buy from iTunes as I hate the DRM on their videos.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But.. but... Ian Levine! THE FATE OF MISSING EPISODES IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm incredibly excited and I can't quite believe it's true. It's amazing, really.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Feb 25th for Web = I know what we'll be getting each other for our anniversary, which is on that day... (Well, one of them is, we have two)

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

So, are we due for a new 'found episodes' rumour now ?

14. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:devil:

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose it's not definitive even now, especially since we're at a point where the Restoration Team are having to be deceptive about what they're working on. But at the moment it doesn't seem to be on the cards. There's no official reason; they may have looked at the sales for "The Reign of Terror" and decided that animating a pure historical just wasn't cost-effective. And for whatever it's worth, the missing episodes of the serial are part of the 90-episode version of the rumor.
    Someone recently noticed that rush classification is possible, so the episodes may not have been passed yet. (iTunes releases don't have to be classified.) It's also been suggested that they might simply hold off paying the BBFC, which would prevent anything going on the site.
    Which makes sense, actually, as the US discs are generally authored well in advance of the UK ones. So that added lead time would have increased the chance of leaks and other issues. Really, even though the rumors were all over the place, it's a small miracle that nothing more definitive came out until days before the announcement.

I'm not wild about iTunes DRM myself, or the fact that my options for watching these episodes amount to my tiny iPod classic screen or my beat-up laptop screen. But I suppose I'll live. ;)

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Is this a Tim/Daisy from spaced kind of two anniversaries :)

17. Lonemagpie

No, in 2001 we had a registry office wedding first for all the fandom friends on Feb 24th, then a church blessing for family on Feb 28th

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I suspected it would be something like that.

Completely off topic is The Birthing House anygood? The only book of his I've read is The Fading which was terrible, yet also heartening because if that guy can get published...

19. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well this is just fantastic news! :) The funny thing is I recently watched episode 3 of Enemy of the world and wished that the other episodes were available. Now I can see them! :)A shame episode 3 of Web is still missing, but you can't have everything. ;)

20. Lonemagpie

I'm only 20 pages in - too early to tell.

The Fading's the only of his I haven't got, but I get the same "if *he* can get good deals..." reaction from reading Matthew Reilly...