Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

ha, haven't looked at those in a while. Never use them, and they take up bank space that I could use, so may go cash them all in. Too bad, as I've got the whole collection, but if they won't let us expand the bank anymore, may as well sell high.

Bank REALLY needs to get bigger. They keep adding more nonsense we need to store, but once you buy the extra slots, they haven't added more slots in forever. Can't expand if I WANT to. Meanwhile, they keep adding more items that you have to collect, giving away pets as rewards for things, more tribbles, etc. Running out of places to keep stuff, been playing since launch...

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I think all my toons created before Season 7 have all 3 party poppers. My fav is the tribble popper, which I think is the fiery. Another fun item to play with is the fire extinguisher. Give it to one of your away team and watch them run around after a battle.

3. Rocketeer

Where can I find out what all the little glowing things are in the Battlezone? I see that you're suppose to pick up the pink dots, but what are the other things? Thanks

4. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I believe they are these little power-ups/buffs placed all over the battlezone.

5. Rocketeer

It appears that you are right. I ran around and collected several. Had a line of buffs across the screen. I only glanced at a few but they looked pretty good like "+50% shields'.

Doc Lee figured out how to take out the behemoths fairly quickly, even if there's more than one. I just let him charge in now.

6. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I did pretty crappy at first too, but it got way easier in time. Now I can pump out missions pretty quickly. You just need to play enough and get used to it, I think.

BTW anybody hear about a supposed Gingerbread Colony for the holidays? TrekMate posted an article saying STO will have some kind of gingerbread-themed area.

7. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

:)

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1052191

8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Yes, the allied invasion of the gingerbread colony shall begin on Thursday! :evil:

9. Captain Kathryn

Aweeeeesome!!! :)

10. Rocketeer

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  11. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

12. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was on a break for the winter event last year, so i need some help. How the hell do you do this race? I either slide off the track and get disqualified, or am beat by my 'opponent' who doesn't appear to have any traction issues.

I realize there must be a secret to it, I just don't know it.

13. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

steer with your mouse and if you start to slide double tap the direction key for the direction you want to go. That will halt your slide

14. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least i wasn't disqualified.. but I can't seem to beat the dang targ. Screw it, I don't need the ship.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

This is probably the easiest winter event I've seen in all the MMOs I've played. Dungeons and Dragons Online's race involves a set of ski-jumps onto hovering and slippery ramps. You fall off with one wrong move and have to re-start the entire thing. That thing took me hundreds of runs just to master. STO's run is much easier in comparison.

1) Make sure mouse view and auto-run are enabled. This allows you to do the course simply with little mouse movements.
    2) Find long straight or slightly curved paths for fast runs
    3) Make use of snow banks and humps to slow down in order to turn fast around sharp bends
    4) Practice, practice, practice

After around 10-15 runs, you should be able to consistently complete the entire run.

16. Rocketeer

To add to what others said:

I usually use the WASD keys, sometimes the mouse, sometimes both at the same time.

Ditto on #3 above, use the terrain to slow down

You can 'cheat' and start the race 2 seconds early

The spider and wraith forms don't slide as much, keep bugging Q until he changes you into one of those

I like to jump the last few meters, it seems to make a difference if you're less than a body thickness behind.

I use crouch (C key) for an emergency slowdown. Use more on the multiplayer race.

---

After you've mastered control, try running with the ski boots as they are faster.

17. Captain Kathryn

Hey guys,

So I just started playing in Q's Winter Wonderland this morning (while I was supposed to be working...hehe) so I just looked at it briefly but it looks really fun. I wasn't an STO player last year so this is the first time I'm seeing it! I'm getting a little nervous about my inventory...I have a feeling it will fill up too soon. :( Might have to spend money for some new slots.

I wanted to ask how can you get the skates item? Just wondering if anyone knows what steps to follow or how much of such and such christmas-currency or which game I should play to receive the item? If anyone has gotten them, can you let me know how you got them?

Thanks~!

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

buy them from the winter vendor in the rotunda. Forget the cost, but it'll show up as Frosted Boots, wanna say 15 each of the non-rare ones? And get a gun as soon as you can (before the boots), costs 8 of each non-rare and 5 of the two rare ones (bells and beads). That'll let you have a chance in the events without having to throw snowballs, which is a pain...

19. Captain Kathryn

So the skates will show up as Frosted Boots? Is the currency in Zen or is it in the event currency?

And yeah thanks! I will check it out when I get home...not at work... :D:lol:

20. Captain Kathryn

I had another unrelated question if anyone knows the answer maybe.

A while back, maybe a few months ago, I purchased 2 Liberated Borg Bridge Officers with Zen. I used one of them to create my Seven of Nine character. However, it will not let me use the second one saying you can only have one bridge officer of the same type. So I basically can never use both.

Since I paid for them both with real funds...I am a little bit worried that I will never be allowed to use it? Has anyone else had this happen to them? I feel like it's being wasted just sitting in my inventory and I can't use it. :(

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.