Reimagined Gorn

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by HOoftheKinshaya, Apr 28, 2013.

?

Did you like the Gorn in the new Star Trek game?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. HOoftheKinshaya

HOoftheKinshaya Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Reimagined Gorn (SPOILER)

SPOILER Below........

Sorry to burst your bubble but they make a point of it being the same again in the new movie. When the big reveal of John Harrison being Khan takes place, guess what? They go to the old Spock for information on Khan, thus JJ making another tie to original timeline. One of many throughout this movie. It's the same universe and timeline right up to Nero. The fanboy service is incredible in this regard and I am one of the ones glad they built the new movieverse this way but all the history inlcluding the Gorn remain intact from the original until the branch.

You may think this but clearly the creators of the new movies are bending over backwards to tie old and new together as this being a derivative of the original timeline and everything that occurred up to the point of Nero's arrival being intact.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I suggest spoiler tagging that ASAP for those who would rather learn of it in the cinema than from you.

3. HOoftheKinshaya

HOoftheKinshaya Lieutenant Red Shirt

Spoiler tagged now. Sorry, just trying a little zealous in showing what a 60 dollar piece of crap this game was and how screwed up they are in Trek lore and the Gorn. You know the game producers could of made it easy by saying this is in game continuity only and has no ties to Trek canon or movieverse continuity.

They made different choices for commercial purposes wanting to ride the coat tails of the movies but lacked the effort and unwilling to make the investment to make sure there was continuity with canon. On top, the games graphics and mechanics were dated, clunky, and buggy.

4. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

I haven't played the game but I liked the new Gorn portrayal. We'll always have the classic Gorn around (My favorite depiction being in Starfleet Command), but these new guys are distinct and intimidating in a way that wasn't possible in the 1960s. Hopefully we'll see more of them in the future... didn't like how much of the TOS races were sidelined after the 1980s.

Also my own pet theory on the changes of distance, race depiction, etx comes from Red Matter time-travelling. It's unstable on imperceptible levels, and the very act of moving it back in time caused many subtle shifts from genetic development to the roll of a die across the entire universe. Seems big enough of a handwave to justify all these physics changes anyway.

5. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

I voted yes but it's not 100% a yes.
    Good for the body:
    [​IMG]
    Although maybe downscale it a wee bit.

I'd loose the head spikes/quills though, needs a head more like this:
    [​IMG]
    At least the top of the head, I do like the redesign's mouth, definitely alien.

As for their tech, rubbish, the way they travel around? Sure, but the look and feel, naaaaaaah.

6. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

The Game is in continuity with Bad Robot Star Trek not Prime Star Trek.

"Fresh minds, new ideas."

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the look of the reimagined Gorn a lot. As much as the ENT/TOS Gorn has its charms, the video game Gorn look far more lethal.

I haven't played the game but I'm wondering if the new origin for the Gorn was something that happened recently or centuries ago? I mean if they came to the Alpha Quadrant centuries ago I think it might work better than saying it was something recent. Then again, even if they came recently, it could just be something we hadn't heard about. I mean, it's not like the Abrams Trek movies covered a lot of time or went into detail about intergalactic politics. And if they kept that new origin for the original series, perhaps the Gorn were tangling with other species or powers before "Arena" and that's why they weren't mentioned.

Is there any good place on the net to find information about the new Gorn? I also would like to see more of the different castes and ships and weapons.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Their arrival in the Alpha Quadrant is seen in the game.

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Okay. Thanks. That doesn't work for me. If they were going that route I wish it had been something that had happened a while ago.

Though I guess it could have happened in the Prime Universe but the Gorn either didn't make as much of an impact upon arrival, weren't as aggressive towards the Federation, or were entangled fighting someone else.

10. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love the redesign and origins of the Gorn in this one!

Orci and a at least one Paramount exec pretty much said it's canon and takes place before Into Darkness. There is also a line in the movie by McCoy that links to a line said by him in the game regarding the emergency c-section.

Yeah, either the Gorn in the Milky Way are descended from the Gorn from the other galaxy due to willing relocation, some form of abduction, banishment or they went through some portal or wormhole a very long time ago and got stranded. It could explain why most of the Gorn look the same in the Milky Way is because they were one of the many species of Gorn and that particular caste/species found themselves in our galaxy. These local Gorn are more civilized obviously maybe so because they were "alone" now.

One thing that I found out that I never thought about either was the similarities between the Helios Device and Genesis. Almost kind of a reference back to the Prime universe which was kind of neat.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Also according to game info you get from scanning Gorn and other stuff in game the NuGorn are the product of eons of genetic engineering so its possible that the Prime Gorn could be refugees that fled to the Milky Way after losing the Gorn versions of the Eugenics Wars.

12. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me the new Gorn are horrible. They're just like mindless dinosaurs... but maybe that was the AI from the video game?