JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I've never read an issue. Has anyone here read any? At 118 issues it's not just a flash in the pan. A guy at the comic store who used to work there was always pushing it when it was still a "young" title.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I started reading it from the beginning last November and caught up to the more recent stuff about a month or two ago. It is now one of my favourite titles. It's awesome. I've been trying to convince a close friend of mine to give it a try and he's about to start it. The art gets way better when Ryan Ottley takes over.

Edited to add: I just read Invincible #118 and it is a pretty good jumping on point. It gives a nice summary of the series so far and it is setting off in a new direction. And for .25¢ you can't really go wrong.

Next up, The Valiant #4!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm one or two years behind on Invincible but it's my absolute favorite comic.

It's so much sheer fun with gorgeous art and a great sense of humor and story and dialogue. The only reason I haven't read it in so long is because it's so special to me I save it for super special occasions to read all at once :lol:

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The digital version of Invincible #118 if free on Comixology.

5. Savage Dragon

I'm totally hooked now. I can't wait to read it like that. I have to read a new issue right when it comes out.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The early issues I recall were pretty good. I'd avoid most of the recent stuff since it's terrible.

7. Savage Dragon

^That's a matter of opinion. I think it's still great.

8. Hound of UIster

Mark getting raped and Atom Eve getting her leg torn off is pretty much where I think the book jumped the shark and Kirkman went full on edgemaster. It's just about shock value now over storytelling and character.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, i quit reading the book when it became all shock.

10. Savage Dragon

I'm not sure how that's any more shocking than Nolan killing the Guardians of the Globe, and that happened very early on in the series.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does he write anything other than TMNT?

13. Admiral_Young

The only other work of his that I'm familiar is the Heavy Metal Magazine stuff, but from the article it sounds like he's about to do some new creator owned material which should be interesting.

14. Captain Craig

I saw that news on Eastman and I do believe that's good news for TMNT. It may not leave IDW anytime soon but that doesn't mean they might still not pull the end/renumber stunt once #50 hits.

Red One #1 - I did indeed enjoy it and I'm curious to see where it goes. I'm in for the first arc at least.

Black Hood #2 - the second issue in Archie's Dark Circle imprint relaunch shows officer Ettinger getting framed, ironically for what he's doing anyway. Curious to see how this is resolved cause we could have a whole issue #3 with no actual Black Hood between the covers.

Mutanimals #2 - Hob and his Mutanimals continue to put the pressure on The Null Corp in an effort to free any more test subject mutants they may have imprisoned. This was a very solid chapter and reintroduces fan fave from the Archie Animated years Man Ray back to us as Ray Fillet. Plus another mutant, new(?), named Sally but I couldn't make out what she's mutated with...a squirrel perhaps?

Captain Midnight #21 - It is such a shame this book is ending at 24 as Dark Horse has taken a public domain character I didn't really know anything about except 'in name only' and made me really like him. This issue had CM, Helios, X and The Mark(proto-CGW superhero).

Deathlok #6 - Henry Hayes lets onto his handler that he's fully aware of what's going on with him. He's stunned to find out just how long it's been going on and that some behavior modification has been done to his wild child of a daughter. How will Michael Collins be involved, they keep dropping hints. Doubt we are done with Domino either. Enjoying what Edmondson is doing on this title. Sadly it'll likely be sidelined due to Secret Wars Battlefield.

15. Savage Dragon

Valiant CEO and Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani guarantees we will get a Valiant film. He also says that "‘Bloodshot’ is much, much further along than people think; it will shock you how far along it is."

I think I'll be picking up "Bloodshot Reborn" as I liked his appearance in "The Valiant" so I look forward to seeing what they can produce.

16. Admiral_Young

17. Captain Craig

OG VEI killed off Torque in issue #8/9
    VEI now killed off Flamingo too early for my taste in a late teen issue of Harbinger. Then Kay McHenry who was just starting to be developed in The Valiant #4. So I get that VALIANT has a history of doing these "early deaths" when Dinesh says:
    I'm just a bit over major character deaths as an interpretation of a good narrative. From any company.
    I'll get it cause I'm really enjoying their output. Just saying, in general, I'm over "death" as a real hook for me in a story anymore. The industry has made me that way.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I picked up The Amazing Spider-Man: Band New Day Vol. 3 and New Avengers Vol. 1: Breakout from Comixology yesterday. I really enjoyed the first two BND collections, and I've been curious about New Avengers for a while now, so I'm looking forward to reading both of them.

19. Hound of UIster

I think that was more of Kindt (and Lemire) having different ideas what to do with Geomancer than what van Lente had when he created Kay.

20. Savage Dragon

I've been branching out a little more in my comic book reading these days and just finished the first issues of "Shaper" from Dark Horse and "Savior" from Image. I enjoyed both issues quite a bit. I was actually surprised that I like Savior as much as I did because the preview I read didn't do much for me.