Star Trek: The Visual Dictionary...Finally?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 19, 2012.

1. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Your link leads to a non-existent page.

4. Admiral_Young

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I very much like what I've seen so far. :) I'll be picking this up for sure.

Hopefully, it will serve to introduce people not yet overly knowledgeable about the franchise to the full scope of the Trek universe.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed flipping threw some of the DK books in the stores the past, but I'm starting to think this might be the first one I actually buy.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Admiral_Young

Pretty much what I expected out of this...and they sure are packing a lot into 96 pages. Hopefully this will lead to their Visual Guides which are of course a lot more specific than their Visual Dictionaries are. Maybe if we're lucky we will get a "Star Trek: Into Darkness" one later on that also covers "Star Trek". I can't wait to get this.

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I already bought it, sight unseen, but seeing these page samples tells me I made a good choice.

10. Admiral_Young

11. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Admiral_Young

Sigh. Well I just took a look on Amazon Canada and they've changed the release date from Feb 26 to March 12. I don't know if this is the same for Amazon but this is annoying. I was looking forward to getting my copy today.

13. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you. It's quite typical of many of the more introductory Star Trek books too, what really gives it the edge are the many obscure things included. As I mentioned in the review, I think it's worth getting just to get a good look at some of the amazing Enterprise props!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am a fan of Enterprise, so its strong inclusion here is fantastic. It added a lot to Trek lore that was never explored in other series. Think of it, without that series would the Andorians have got any section in a book that is not just geared towards hardcore fans? No.

Also not just props but some of these pictures from the show have never been printed in this quality before.

I am lazy someone should hype this in the Enterprise forum.

15. Admiral_Young

Yeah, I agree that it seems to be more like an introductory guide to Star Trek...which is why it's covering all five series at once but in a generalized way. I look forward to potentially more stuff from DK Publishing regarding Star Trek. It's still hard to believe this is coming out...I seriously never would have thought this would happen. LOL

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think most fans will be buying it for the high quality photos in the book.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Probably. Andorians were quite well featured in lots of ST stuff over the years, including "The Monsters of Star Trek", a 1980s book aimed at kids rather than ST fans, "The Starfleet Medical Reference Manual", which sat in bookshops alongside the bestselling "Starfleet Technical Manual", and GE Fabbri's weekly "ST Fact Files", which were in every UK and Australian newsagent for many years.

18. Deranged Nasat

I'm more impressed that the Tellarites got a double spread, myself. Good for them!

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They put up a good argument.

20. Deranged Nasat

:lol:

Another, much more minor, detail that impresses me: Human is capitalized like the other race names. Thank you!