Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

Please tell me in the 75 year history (besides the godawful ELECTRIC Supes Saga) that Superman has had his suit so drastically changed? I also mean the change in chest symbols.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

How is this a "drastic" change? They removed the trunks (something that has happened with numerous other characters) and put in some extra texture here and there.

In every other respect, it's the same damn costume.

3. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

And I want yhe drugs you are on apparently, The costume is not even close to what came before.... :rolleyes:

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're wrong. It's a blue unitard, red cape, symbol on the chest, red boots.

And yep, the costume has been changed more than that before - just not for a very long time. Nice overview of the costume, chest shield etc is here:

http://metropolisplus.com/Superman/

[​IMG]

The ways in which the new version varies from the classic design, other than the long-overdue removal of the red Speedo, are pretty trivial.

If anything, the new version of the shield is proof that the costume designer did more research into the history of Superman's costume than the fans complaining about it have.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

He wore Blue boots in some of his original adventures - what sort of fake fan are you that you are not aware of something that happened in two stories from 1938?

6. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It was only a "speedo" in the last movie. And frankly, if someone's going to be running around in tights, I'd just as soon they cover their super-junk.

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Electric Superman.

I liked the crystal stuff too.

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

How is removal of the trunks a "drastic change." Yes the costume was changed, altered, but I don't think the changes would constitute labeling them as "drastic." If they had changed the blue to green and given him a gold cape then that would have been drastic.

9. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I liked the crystal stuff too. But after more than 30 years of that look I am ready for something new.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm totally over the crystals. I want to see something new.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're wrong too, of course. Speedo is a brand name - you might remember to capitalize properly from now on - and they make a range of mens swimwear in many styles.

I'm sure that from here forward we can expect to see Superman's costume change and evolve in both the comics and future films in the same way that Batman and Wonder Woman's have - the initial resistance to changing it once after so many decades has been broken at last and anything's possible.

12. davejames

Yeah the crystals were really cool and original and unexpected at the time, but by now the novelty has completely worn off.

I still expect we'll see some kind of organic, "growing" type of technology for Krypton though (as evidenced by the suit).

13. Myasishchev

How's that different from the crystals?

14. davejames

If you put it side by side with the Reeve suit, then yeah it looks pretty different. But if you compare it with the multitude of styles in the comics, then it fits in rather well.

In fact, except for the trunks, I'd say the new suit is a pretty damn close match with the Fleischer Superman of the 40s.

In any case, I have a feeling 10 years from now we'll all look back and cringe at how goofy those big red shorts looked. It's just gonna take time for some people to adjust.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crystals are inorganic.

16. Myasishchev

Okay, functionally different... :p I suppose it might have a different aesthetic, more rounded and gnarly.

17. davejames

Well we've seen lots of scifi movies and TV shows that have that kind of growing/morphing technology. It doesn't have to be just crystals.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Re the costume - I mean, can anyone look at this and NOT recognise it as Superman? Blue torso, red cape, 'S' on his chest, red boots? Who else would you think it is? If this was supposed to be the outfit for an entirely new character, wouldn't you be all screaming 'Superman rip-off, Superman rip-off!'? Nor would you mistake it for Batman, Spider-man, Wolverine etc.

Sure, it's been tweaked a little but compare Chris Reeve's costume with that of George Reeves or the Max Fleischer cartoons. All different variations on the same theme. This is just another variation but recognisable as the iconic costume.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, this is a message board where people bitch and moan about how the JJ Abrams Enterprise looks NOTHING like any of the Enterprises that came before it.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The trunks will be back within a year.