Chakotay and Janeway romance

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by jbuschell415, May 15, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, it was a cute show! Typical..."lots of love in a family" type of thing. But Marion Ross was great as the Bubbe. And sometimes annoying, as a real Bubbe can be. Loved the kids...adorable with being too precious.

2. Katinka

Katinka Lieutenant Red Shirt

Again, newbie here, adding her 2 cents. I am re-watching Voyager and am immensely enjoying the subtle but very present chemistry between J and C. The show would have been the better for picking this up, subtly and delicately, and play with it instead of making such a mess of things and leaving nobody happy (or is anybody truly happy with how this worked out??).

I don't think overt scenes would have work - I wouldn't want those, I am watching the show with my pre-teen son and do not care having the discussion with him that is best left to his father having with him a few years down the road - but hints and little ambiguous scenes, e.g. Chakotay walking her to her quarters after some silly Neelix holodeck entertainment, she inviting him in for coffee, a smile, a wink, a nod. Works for the son and leaves my mind to go - were many minds have gone before.

Starfleet protocol forbidding it. Give me a break, Starfleet protocol forbade many things over the years which were done anyway, repeatedly and with abandon. Temporal Prime Directive anyone?

Problems arising from their quiet/discrete relationship? I can't see any that they wouldn't/didn't had otherwise. My premise here is that they both deeply cared for one another and would have greatly suffered from the other's death. So what difference does it make if they have sex? Janeway sent Chakotay on dangerous missions, he let/had to let her go on dangerous ones as well. To say that after them entering into a relationship they wouldn't/couldn't have done that anymore, I think, diminishes them much more as professionals than having a mature relationship among two consenting adults could have ever done (again, no frolicking in the Turbolift and such like).

It is much more difficult to carry out ones duties and work if something as persistent and consuming as passion/lust keeps distracting. Been there done that and although it was a real cool time, I have to say, I was rather inefficient doing anything other than thinking about, ... well, you know. Sure wouldn't want to command a space ship in that state (maybe a car, better a bike).

In the end, I just don't find it believable that they didn't have a relationship. They are both passionate people, she the extrovert, he the strong quiet type, sitting next to each other on the bridge for 7 years, being on away missions together, sharing dinners and holodeck breaks and never acting on that attraction: simply not believable in my book.

nerdyfangirl74656 likes this.
  3. nerdyfangirl74656

nerdyfangirl74656 Ensign Red Shirt

You might like the Voyager relaunch novels by Kirsten Beyer. (Spoiler Alert!) Janeway and Chakotay FINALLY get together and are working through being in a relationship as well working together, having to go on dangerous missions etc. The relationship portion of the novels is small, but I think is realistically portrayed. For example, they aren't making out in turbolifts or having sex in the captains ready room or anything like that. My JC shipper heart is very satisfied by the books :)

borgboy and stardream like this.
  4. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I am fine with the way Beyers handles J/C.

I thought it was funny how Christie Golden got rid of 7/C within the first few chapters of Homecoming. Fixed that one right away.

borgboy and nerdyfangirl74656 like this.
  5. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anytime that's mentioned I swear it crushes Beltran to hear it. LOL You got paid. You got TV laid. fade out! :P

6. nerdyfangirl74656

nerdyfangirl74656 Ensign Red Shirt

I read a Reddit interview that Beltran did, and he said that He was just as surprised by C7 as everyone else. He also said that it was Jeri Ryan's idea and because she was dating one of the producers at the time they went with it.

7. Katinka

Katinka Lieutenant Red Shirt

8. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Then she broke up with him anyway.

I got the impression that Jeri was just joking around when she told her then boyfriend that Chakotay and Seven should get together.

9. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's just a possibility (even if as I often repeated that I don't see them living together) but if Janeway / Chakotay has to form a couple in a near or distant future (well, it will depend on the time when Chakotay /Seven will get tired of each other! :whistle:),

1) it is hoped for them that the Federation isn't still at war because in the opposite occur, it is highly likely that both will be very busy each on their side, particularly if they are in opposite camps, with Janeway, pursuing her rank risong within Starfleet and managing certain operations from the HQ and Chakotay, fighting the Federation with another group of Resistance fighters. Indeed, seen their independence of mind (even if we rather knew Chakotay as Janeway's pet during the journey of Voyager) I don't see neither of them sacrificing what they trully are by love : Janeway is a Starfleet perfect product and will be until the end (I'm pretty sure that in Endgame, Admiral Janeway violated the Prime Directive a) to save the 150 crew members who had become dear to her heart, especially after all the happy/sad experiences crossed together because she had the opportunity/capacity to do it. Even if Tuvok, Chakotay & Seven were maybe dearest to her, they were primarily members of her crew and b) she sacrifices herself as a kind of redemption). As for Chakotay, he is a sort of maverick -> he shoudn't consent to obey orders which are unnatural in his philosophy...

2) if the war is over, Chakotay will have to be willing to make a deal

- with Starfleet (as he had resigned as Starfleet officer, to join the Maquis, he shouldn't expect any special bonus and/or retirement pension - taking into account the period spent in Delta Quadrant as Janeway's unofficial 1st Officer - as all other officers should receive AND of course, he couldn't ask for his reinstatement whether it's for its former rank or for a lower rank) but especially,

-with the Federation (which - if I remember well - has no intention to forgive him and his companions for their betrayal and that, in spite of their dedication aboard of Voyager during their long journey -> Chakotay, Torres and others should be sentenced to a life sentence, which would be significantly shortened further to Janeway's intervention and even, Adm Paris)

And it is there that intervenes the famous deal which I spoke above ;) :
    -> or all former members of Maquis, including Torres, will have to agree to serve the shortened sentence in its integrality before being returned to the civil life or Chakotay as their ex-leader will have to suggest to serve a longuer sentence, in exchange for the freedom of his companions. In short, he assumes the full responsibility of the acts committed by him and his companions of the Maquis (seen all the qualities of greatness which some of you give to Chakotay, I think that this option is not ridiculous, right?!). - and by the way, he saves Miral to go to visit her mother in prison during a certain number of years, what Tom will eternally be grateful to him! :lol:
    And Janeway, aware of his sacrifice (and because this act makes her loving him still more), decides to wait for him and the wedding happens, even maybe even the children... even if I'm afraid that they are too old for this stage!

Well, if I had been a fan of J/C, I would have had the almost perfect (romantic) scenario! :whistle:
    For my part, I think that Janeway will finish hurdy-gurdy girl but hey, a hurdy-gurdy girl with a beautiful golden bar of Admiral hung on her collar! :p

2takesfrakes likes this.