Terminator: Reboot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

He looks about is scary is Edward Cullen.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Thank you! :techman:

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know how when a woman is so beautiful that right at that moment you don't care if she's got herpes and admits it outright as she's taking her clothes off, and getting down on her hands and knees?

That's what Eddy's got, but he eats you until you're dead.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Eddy's in the space-time continuum.

5. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because everyone wants "gritty" and "realiistc", I was aiming for that, plus it'd bring the masses to the theaters. "Oh look, the son of the original Terminator is the new Terminator!". Given that Cameron actually wanted an obscure unscary looking fella to be a Terminator, this would be going back to the roots so to speak. The Terminator shouldn't scare you, he should be non-imposing who could sneak up on you then snap your neck or stab you. Sort of like the T-1000 as depicted by Robert Patrick.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Didn't the novels explain why the T800 looks like Arnold?

7. StarTrek1701

Think they did, but most aftermarket novels are like glorified fanfictions at best. I was more comparing it to a real-world scenario thing.

8. Admiral James Kirk

In reality a Terminator shouldn't scare you. In a sci-fi action thriller if the Terminator doesn't scare you then you really screwed up.

9. StarTrek1701

Oh I can certainly understand where you are getting at, but then again Robert Patrick scared the hell outta me too! :eek:

10. Admiral James Kirk

Really? Of the three Terminators I only found Arnold frightening. Though if you take TSCC into account I thought Garret Dillahunt was quite intimidating as Cromartie. But he too was a big guy. What can I say? I'm a big guy and I'm not frightened by smaller men. :)

11. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

But I'm not a director, I'm Skynet.:klingon:

All you need is a great actor, probably not Patrick Schwarzenegger, but someone with his looks could be good. A pretty boy who looks like a weak shrimp and can turn on his intimidating killer machine stare on command would be my first choice for the Terminator.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  12. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say let Dillahunt take a shot at the big screen, he does a good terminator

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I agree Ryan Gosling (or his Hollywood twin Ben Foster) would be a great Terminator. And I'll watch Jennifer Lawrence in just about anything.

I avoid it specifically to avoid being easily tracked down by Skynet.

Actually, James Cameron has been working as an unofficial consultant on Terminator 5, which would bring back Arnie as the T-800 again.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/james-cameron-wants-terminator-5-to-focus-on-the-t-800

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

There are some arguments in favor of T1 not being a predestination paradox and there being an existing timeline where John Connor has a different father than Kyle Reese, didn't learn to fight the Machines from his mother (or at least, she wasn't informed of them before the war and couldn't prepare him for leadership until after Judgment Day), and where Skynet was developed and started a nuclear war without the technology from the future first spurring on its creation.

http://io9.com/5191092/10-different-timelines-from-the-terminator-universe

Personally, I kind of prefer the closed loop of T1, but since the other films and TV shows ditch the closed loop idea and establish that each incident of time travel creates alternate timelines, this makes sense as well.

16. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

The inconspicuous terminator idea made me realize if they did a remake the "big reveal" would be that one of the normal average-built human characters was a second Terminator. Probably "Kyle Reese"...not the real Kyle Reese. A terminator killed Kyle, skinned him and is now wearing Reese's pieces. ;)

Prompting people online to say "I guessed that early on..."

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Dont forget the other 3 sequels to Terminator, The Matrix, 1, 2 and 3!! LOL. Set in the the 22nd century of the Terminator universe .. LOL i joke, but you know there is no proof that they could not be connected if John Connor failed and the machines enslaved all the humans.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Terminator and Matrix couldn't be connected, if only for the fact that Skynet didn't want to enslave humanity - it wanted to *destroy* it.

Unlike the Matrix, where the machines lived off the energy generated by human bodies and so it wouldn't have been in their best interests to let humanity die.

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Not according to Terminator: Salvation, remember they took them to a slave camp in San francisco. The still needed human to do some things, otherwise why capture them at all??

...So the humans led by john connor revolt, and think they killed skynet only to find out they did not, and Skynet lives. the humans then get desperate and blacken the sky but that does not work becuse Skynet learns it can get its energy from a human being ... etc..

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Just a means to an end. It seems clear that Skynet really did want to wipe out humanity. Otherwise, why start a nuclear war to begin with? That alone means extinction.