Green Lantern question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starfleet Engineer, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

When the Hal Jordan GL was created, was the GL Corp and Sinestro's story part of it from the beginning or did that stuff get retconned in later?

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They were part of it from the beginning. Hal Jordan first appeared in three issues of Showcase starting in late 1959 and then got his own series with Green Lantern in 1960. Jordan is seen getting the power ring from a dying Abin Sur in Showcase #22, the Guardians are first seen in Green Lantern #1, and Sinestro makes his first appearance in Green Lantern #7.

3. Starfleet Engineer

But when do characters outside of Abin Sur, Sinestro, and Guardians appear? From a little research, it looks like Kilowog's first appearance is in 1986. When is the first story that features more than one member of the Corp or mentions the Corp the way we know it today?

I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems like the idea of the current Corp wasn't developed until much later in the history of GL. I was wondering if that's true.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Other Green Lanterns were introduced early on, starting with Tomar-Re in Green Lantern #6. The first time a whole bunch of Green Lanterns were shown together was in Green Lantern #9.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Sinestro was there from the start, but the idea that he was the one who trained Hal wasn't introduced until the "Emerald Dawn" mini-series Post-Crisis. It was such a good idea they've kept it for Hal's origin ever since except in "New Frontier" where it would have added an unnecessary sideplot to everything else.

6. Starfleet Engineer

Thanks, Vulcan, for the references. That clears things up. I was able to look those issues up and was also able to see that GL #11 (1961) is a story where Hal is put on trial by fellow Green Lanterns.

Thanks, Anwar, for that info. I'm interested in that kind of thing also.