Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Data's Cat, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Andres

Andres Ensign Newbie

The console's i doubt in the future or whenever we will have computer consoles that all the touch buttons are just numbers no letters or words. i mean how do they know what to press? That to me is pretty far fetched and impractical not everything can be done numbers or can it?

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Considering science currently doesn't know how gravity works, I wouldn't be surprised that at some point in the future we are able to make true artificial gravity
    Seriously? Some big conspiracy holding it all back? like the 100mpg car?

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Holograms, as seen in Star Trek, or Iron Man... never going to happen. Physically impossible. Just like lightsabers. You cannot make light behave that way, it just doesn't work. It's unfortunate, but nobody is ever going to crunch a holographic display and play basketball with it like RDJ does in Iron Man.

And the idea that you can make touchable holograms is even farer out there in the realms of fantasy.

Yada yada. It is theoretically possible, but the amount of energy needed is too damn high. That's why it's never going to happen.

The thing is, 100-200 years ago we didn't know jack shit about anything. No knowledge about relativity, no knowledge about atoms, no electricity, no computers. Heck, we couldn't even fly. Compared to those times we now have a vast understanding, and we test all those theories every single day by creating all those products like airplanes, computers, laser pointers. 200 years ago we could tell that fire would make wood burn and water boil. Today we can explain why. And the why won't change.
    So we already know quite a bit for certain that some things simply don't work. Nothing's faster than light, that isn't going to change. Our current understanding of physics IS pretty solid. It's not comparable to what we knew 100 or 200 years ago. The learning curve isn't exponential.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Transporter swould be the nicest to have--beam fossils out of the ground and all--but a type of low level teleportation can be had--if there are machines at either end to allow quantum effects of some kind. Warp drive may be real--and NAFAL allows time travel.

To me, even more boggling is the idea of SSTO shuttles. So help me--I think someone will discover warp drive or a wormhole before they ever get an all payload shuttlecraft off the ground.

If there is ever a warp ship--it will have to have rockets still. I don't see rockets ever going out of us--at least not to escape gravity wells.

5. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're showing your ignorance more than your knowledge. Atoms, electricity, computers and even flying are much, much older than a century or two. A book like ANCIENT INVENTIONS or a documentary series like ANCIENT DISCOVERIES can be real eye-openers. Highly recommended. Your local library may have both on hand.

The history of science is also littered with broken pronouncements of what is impossible, or certain. Many famous people have been credited with saying "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out." One should be just as wary of the converse, that logic/science is a way to go wrong with confidence.

7. sojourner

Not sure if serious.......

8. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Transporter and Holodeck (the TNG one with the solid contents).

9. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Holographic people being able to move around and interact with the real world at will

10. Data's Cat

Data's Cat Lieutenant Red Shirt

And then you've got Holographic people becoming self aware, or even worse- becoming *real* people who can leave the holodeck.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and the theory about atoms goes back to Leukipp and Demokrit.

While hundreds of years ago people thought something that has wings might fly, today we know why, and know what can fly and what cannot fly.

And for every idea that did become reality there's a million that did not, and today we can explain why.

Seriously, we know a lot more today, especially about the limits.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  12. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

I don't think any of the tech in Star Trek is completely inconceivable. But will we ever build it the same way or find a better way than Star Trek? Einstein's theory states that Energy equals Mass times the Speed of Light squared. To me, that says that something in this universe is capable of moving at up to the Speed of Light squared. FTL travel, but maybe not Warp Speed? Medical tech is changing every day. New weapon designs are always on the drawing board. Transporters could use a form Quantum Teleportation - and then an easy jump to the idea of a replicator. It's just a matter of time and detail and even Star Trek looked at that idea of minuscule detail and came up with idea of Heisenberg Compensators to offset the uncertainty in detail.

Yeah, and the X-Men stole Jean-Luc Picard and turned him into Professor X. :)

Don't give up on that holodeck yet!

Holodeck is closer than you think

Omni-directional treadmill

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

The one thing I find really unbelievable is the transporter. While I consider it a big stretch of the possibility that maaayyybeeee one day, far into the future, transporters may be able to move intimate objects from one place to another, I just do not see it ever possible that living beings will be able to be transported.

14. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

The only thing I can think of is Voyager's Evolution Predictor from the dinosaur episode (which was otherwise pretty good).

15. sojourner

What, like sex toys?:lol:

16. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Return that to the malaprop department when you're done. <rimshot>

17. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

:rofl:Haha!! Didn't notice that....I'm not going to fix it, either.:techman:

18. Data's Cat

Data's Cat Lieutenant Red Shirt

You guys are too funny! :lol:

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

20. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

That has been said for decades now, but it´s still happening.

The question is, if it does indeed plateau, when will this be? Next week, in ten years, or in 200 years - no one can say. As to knowing the limits better, it´s true that today we know a great deal more, than the people 200 years ago. But our knowledge and understanding still pales in comparison to what we don´t yet know or understand.