STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally saw it.

Not much left to say here that hasn't already been said so, brass tacks; it was, despite the oddity's, fun. A.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What meaning?

3. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And many people imagined that he was simply not a bridge officer during Space Seed so the viewers didn't see him - but that doesn't resolve the real world inconsistency that Chekov as a character did not exist when Space Seed aired.

And thus, all the youngsters here can see how nitpicking and fanon handwaving and inconsistencies onscreen (like stardates being shown out of order thus begging the question of which adventures preceded which) have been going on for a very, very, very long time.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

True but I don't think that any more was necessary because what we see of Khan in the movie itself is much more terrifying than someone making vague remarks about the Eugenics Wars like in "Space Seed".
    Khan doesn't even flinch when he's accused of wanting to commit genocide on those he considers inferior, unlike Khan in "Space Seed" who tried to justify his past actions.
    We see what destruction he alone can cause, first on Qo'nos, then onboard the Vengeance. Just imagine what 72 of those people could do.

I've been a life-long Trekkie and I didn't mind Khan looking or being different from the one we saw in TOS. To me, this is all a different take on themes and characters from Trek lore.

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I don't really get that comment, cause I saw a lot of Star Trek in there. In fact, the whole thing was Star Trek. Even if you don't think it was, the homages alone were plentiful.

6. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

We're all entitled to our own opinions.

7. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

There is opinion, and there is fact. You state "There is a little bit of Star Trek in there.

I think this is false. I think fact states there was a lot of Star Trek in there.

I think a lot of people (and this is opinion) are ignoring the facts.

8. dulcimer47

dulcimer47 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

"Homage to Star Trek" does not equal "Star Trek".

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does when the movie says "Star Trek" in the title, is described as a Star Trek movie, and has been authorized as a Star Trek movie by the company who owns the rights to make Star Trek movies.

Anything to the contrary is nothing more than personal opinion masquerading as fact.

10. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked the theme in the film, about overcoming the desire for revenge, which was something Kirk faced in the TOS episode Arena, when he wanted revenge on The Gorn for destroying the Cestis 3 colony, but learned to overcome this impulse for revenge.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  11. ConRefit79

Films are supposed to be art which is completely subjective. This film and the last one just do not feel like Star Trek to me. If people like it, good for them. If they don't there is nothing wrong with that either.

12. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

They're going to have an easier five year mission this time around.

Not only do they have have phone a friend with Old Spock but if things really go bad, magic Khan blood for everyone.

13. Amaris

That's why no one ever gets sick or dies in Star Trek, because they always use the transporters to rejuvena-... oh, wait, no they don't.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Nomad wiped her memory in "The Changeling", remember, and she had to be retrained by Christine Chapel. Uhura may have lost lots of memories from her past.

15. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I don't like to apply a grading scale, it seems too rigid. Saw it in 2D this morning at the early matinee ($6.00 senior discount) in a theater about 1/4 full. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I liked the characters in 09 and they only grew this time, especially Sulu and McCoy. Cumberbatch was outstanding with the intensity of voice and expression. The story was somewhat predictable taken as a whole, but the twists kept it interesting. As with the 09 movie, I never noticed the much bitched-about lens flares. I'll be seeing it again in a few weeks with my wife and a couple to Trekkie friends. I hope to pay more attention to the score this time.

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Ahah it doesn't "feel like Star Trek" to you. However, the fact is, that it IS Star Trek, despite how you feel it should or shouldn't be. Like it or not, it is Star Trek, and there is a lot of Star Trek in there, not a "little".

All that said, point is, there is a lot of Star Trek in this Star Trek film, not a "little"

17. ConRefit79

Whatever dude. Just be thankful they're making something you enjoy as "Star Trek".

18. Amaris

You're still trying to frame his definition as subjective. It is Star Trek, in every objective sense of the word. Subjectively, your mileage may vary, but that doesn't change the fact that it is Star Trek.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Do we count "Galaxy Quest" or not?

20. ConRefit79

:lol: I would have to say no.