What if Garrett Wang had left Voyager instead of Jennifer Lien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^Wang is as Wang does. :D

2. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kim would have been alright as a recurring character, but he got annoying as a series main. It's like if Wesley would have been in every episode of TNG without his time off to go to academy.

I liked Kes, but I don't think she would have been any better off than Kim in the later seasons. She didn't really have enough personality to carry her character much further. I think she held much more potential than Kim though, she just developed at a glacial pace (still more than Kim though :p) and I felt she was actually too agreeable. Her back story could have provided the writers to develop an interesting arc if they would have taken chances with it, but that wasn't going to happen. Then again, I think her story was also inhibited by her being a race they weren't ever going to encounter again (unless the writers decided to follow up the original Ocampa-Caretaker story with a series arc itself.)

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He should have got the girl, some with substance that lasted, or epic failed MORE... His litany of burn crashes was 3 women in 7 years.

A year later...

A year later...

Okay, 4 women.

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'm currently reading a fanfic where Harry and Marla Gilmore (from the Equinox) decide to be a couple. I don't know if it's going to work out - there are still a lot of chapters to go.

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the most interesting-but-seldom-mentioned things about Harry is: Harry Kim (the character) is the same age as Wesley Crusher (the character). So Harry was probably at the academy at the same times as Wes was.

I wonder if Harry ever ran into Cadet Nicholas Locarno? ;)

6. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I like Harry! I'm not sure his character was used as effectively as he could have been. But his friendship was Paris was an important part of the social dynamics on Voyager. Not as great as the Miles and Julian bromance, but the nearest we had to it. As fresh-faced, super earnest Ensign Newbie he made a great counterpart to the more cynical and irresponsible Paris.

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree.
    I'd would have rather had them write more stories for Harry than see one more Barclay/Troi ep. Two far more annoying do nothing characters than Harry ever was.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only time I liked Troi was her VOY eps and FC. But I think by that point they had kind of run out of steam with Harry, as in, the kettle had never boiled in the first place?

9. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I've always thought they should have gotten rid of Robert Beltran instead of Kes. His character wasn't very interesting--they never did anything with the potential tension between the Maquis and Starfleet--and he wasn't very happy doing the show.

But I'd still rather see Kes go than Harry.

10. teacake

:eek:

But what will they use for ballast when in drydock?!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Maybe in some other universe. There are a lot of alternate Harry Kims running around.

I absolutely could not stand Troi in Voyager and First Contact. She looked like a sloppy mess and that drawling really annoyed me.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Nog got from bartender's stupid brother's son to cadet to ensign to lieutenant in four years, and Harry stayed ensign for 7 years. That's just stupid, Voyager writers.

13. teacake

Do you think they were just not promoting him because they would do it in his big episode which never ended up happening?

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frankly, I don't understand why Harry is even an issue.
    The bigger crime is having Tim Russ hanging around since TNG, finally giving him a part and still underusing him.