Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old January 27 2014, 02:58 AM   #16
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Barbreader wrote: View Post
I have been reminded by somebody who does not wish to enter into this discussion that there are other partial sets, including three TOS bridges, George Kayaian's, the Eagle set, the Mohave set, and the Movie-era Potemkin set, which includes more than a bridge. The last of these is in Georgia, and does NOT charge for use. I was referring to the Farragut set, which does. I stand corrected.
Barb, do you think you could add a section to your website with listing of Sets and their locations?

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 03:12 AM   #17
Danlav05
Commander

have you also got a list of productions and where they are based? it would be interesting to know!

sorry if its putting you out, listen to us giving you all this work
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 06:49 AM   #18
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Danlav 05: You will find my fan film production map here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html or here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...4&source=embed . In some cases the information about the film at Star Trek Reviewed has been moved, but that move in not reflected on the map. Use the index to locate where that information is today.

I listed, supra, where all of the sets I know about are. I know that four of them... James Cawley in Ticonderoga, NY, the Oklahoma group. the Farragut group, and Randy Landers Project Potemkin which has TOS movie-era sets, have made it known they will share their sets. Only Farragut charges. In addition, I know that some of the others I mentioned above HAVE shared their sets, even if they have not announced it. There may be other sets I don't know about. You can locate these groups on my map. I assume their sets are in the same city as I have them marked. All of these sets fall within what I call "Golden Age" Star Trek.

There is a group in Florida talking about building sets for a TNG type ship for their fan film. I have encouraged them to separate the set-building group from the filmmaking group, and make the sets more widely available. They are early on and nothing may come of that. Most people to announce plans to make a film never do.

There is a facebook page that attempts to organize and connect would be Star Trek Fan Filmmakers to resources available to them. Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/661629063854564/

I think it would be great for somebody to create a website that sources resources for making Star Trek fan films, from sets and props to mikes and cameras, from CGI software to fan-made music. I applaud the threads here that offer advice. But Star Trek Reviewed is about WATCHING Star Trek Fan Films, not making them. It is aimed at the casual viewer who would watch if they were easy to find and he or she didn't have to wade through the politics and the search engines and the 101 pre-announcements and banners and posters of which only 5 eventually released films. That person finds Star Trek Reviewed and can just watch films. To the extent I find reviews, I also link to those. I have no interest in expanding my mission, but will gladly link to a website that organizes the location of resources.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 07:03 AM   #19
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

DCR wrote: View Post
Thanks for the listing, Barb. It's impressive to think of how many sets there are, and just how many are available. I really hope Starbase Studios can get more sets added. The Farragut/STC sets in Georgia really look nice, but I think it's a pity that they're charging what's apparently a fair amount for use, as I think it would really help a number of productions to have inexpensive access to such a complete set.
You can thank my secret objector. I just report the news, I don't make it. The fun thing about a reporter's life is you get to talk to many of the principles of the subject you cover, even though you are just a fan.

You and anyone else can help Starbase Studios with a donation. I know they'd like to create a full set of sets, and they have the talent and know-how to build very good sets, too. All that is lacking is cash. Want more? Send them ten bucks... or whatever you can afford or whatever it's worth to you.

And James Cawley does make his sets available, too. So it is not the case that the only full TOS sets charge.
Old January 27 2014, 05:26 PM   #20
Danlav05
Commander

Danlav 05: You will find my fan film production map here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html or here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...4&source=embed . In some cases the information about the film at Star Trek Reviewed has been moved, but that move in not reflected on the map. Use the index to locate where that information is today.

I listed, supra, where all of the sets I know about are. I know that four of them... James Cawley in Ticonderoga, NY, the Oklahoma group. the Farragut group, and Randy Landers Project Potemkin which has TOS movie-era sets, have made it known they will share their sets. Only Farragut charges. In addition, I know that some of the others I mentioned above HAVE shared their sets, even if they have not announced it. There may be other sets I don't know about. You can locate these groups on my map. I assume their sets are in the same city as I have them marked. All of these sets fall within what I call "Golden Age" Star Trek.

There is a group in Florida talking about building sets for a TNG type ship for their fan film. I have encouraged them to separate the set-building group from the filmmaking group, and make the sets more widely available. They are early on and nothing may come of that. Most people to announce plans to make a film never do.

There is a facebook page that attempts to organize and connect would be Star Trek Fan Filmmakers to resources available to them. Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/661629063854564/

I think it would be great for somebody to create a website that sources resources for making Star Trek fan films, from sets and props to mikes and cameras, from CGI software to fan-made music. I applaud the threads here that offer advice. But Star Trek Reviewed is about WATCHING Star Trek Fan Films, not making them. It is aimed at the casual viewer who would watch if they were easy to find and he or she didn't have to wade through the politics and the search engines and the 101 pre-announcements and banners and posters of which only 5 eventually released films. That person finds Star Trek Reviewed and can just watch films. To the extent I find reviews, I also link to those. I have no interest in expanding my mission, but will gladly link to a website that organizes the location of resources.
i notice you use the Golden Age, Silver Age etc labels, which is a very unique way of labelling. I tend to go

1. Prequel era (anything before The Cage)
2. TOS era (The Five Year Mission)
3. Movie Era (TMP - Generations Prologue; inc Yorktown: A Time to Heal?)
4. The Lost Era (the gap between Gens prologue and TNG)
5. The TNG Era (Season 1 - Generations 24C scenes)
6. The DS9/VOY Era (DS9 Season 4 --> Nemesis)
7. Post-Nemesis Era (so including most of Hidden Frontier up to say the end of Star Trek: Odyssey)
8. The Far Future (Online, Phoenix, Star Trek Countdown, Renegades I think etc...)

i know a lot of people just go TOS era, TNG era the far future and pre-TOS but I see the Enterprise-D as TNG and the Enterprise-E as... something else, moving beyond that.
Old January 27 2014, 06:06 PM   #21
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Danlav05, Star Trek Reviewed is organized by timeline. To do that, and to accommodate mirror universe, JJA universe, likely other reboot and re-reboot and ... well you get the idea universes, I laid out my division here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html you can see how the organization actually works here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/2.html. Arguably, mashing JJA Trek, TOS, TAS, Movie Era, mirror universe, other alternative universes is not ideal, but I invite anyone who wants to use my data to create a better Star Trek Fan Film index... Steal My Stuff!
Old January 27 2014, 06:36 PM   #22
USS Intrepid
Commodore

That said, people here in the Northeast do not drive four hours at the drop of a hat. California, the West, the Mid-West... you are probably right. But it's much more than four hours drive from Illinois to Oklahoma. I think the issue is that people here jump on a plane easily. I know that's odd, and the Europe and Asia have much better rail systems than we have. Anyway, you make a good point.
Should have added, in my experience there. An experience limited mostly to California, which is hardly going to be exhaustive. Either way, you'd know better than I on that one.

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
I do see what you mean Nick
Well I didn't explain it very well initially.
Old January 27 2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Danlav05
Commander

Danlav05, Star Trek Reviewed is organized by timeline. To do that, and to accommodate mirror universe, JJA universe, likely other reboot and re-reboot and ... well you get the idea universes, I laid out my division here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html you can see how the organization actually works here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/2.html. Arguably, mashing JJA Trek, TOS, TAS, Movie Era, mirror universe, other alternative universes is not ideal, but I invite anyone who wants to use my data to create a better Star Trek Fan Film index... Steal My Stuff!
Your site is very well looked after

haha no worries at all, who knows what someone will come up with in the future?
Old January 30 2014, 02:33 AM   #24
Danlav05
Commander

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
That said, people here in the Northeast do not drive four hours at the drop of a hat. California, the West, the Mid-West... you are probably right. But it's much more than four hours drive from Illinois to Oklahoma. I think the issue is that people here jump on a plane easily. I know that's odd, and the Europe and Asia have much better rail systems than we have. Anyway, you make a good point.
Should have added, in my experience there. An experience limited mostly to California, which is hardly going to be exhaustive. Either way, you'd know better than I on that one.

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
I do see what you mean Nick
LOL just to add fuel to the fire how much more difficult do you think would the Generations bridge be to build than the TNG bridge? hehe there is a bit more to put in and people would probably prefer the TV Version anyway, but there are more panels either side filling space that was just wall.

http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/ima...fit-bridge.jpg

Maybe it would work with less LCARS on the sides but still workable stations

EDIT: Sean Tourangeau's Titan brige is a pretty impressive variant: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs29/f/20...tourangeau.jpg

Last edited by Danlav05; January 30 2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old April 30 2014, 02:54 AM   #25
Dennis
The Man

I've thought from time to time (no, really) that one way to approach a TNG bridge practically speaking would be to build the platforms with "horseshoe" and command area and the five stations in the back - then hang green screen material and do the rest in CG. It would have the advantage of the actors being able to work with those parts of the set they actually touch and move through while avoiding the expense and complexity of all that fiberglass work and the high ceiling and everything.
Old April 30 2014, 05:55 AM   #26
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Seeing that Dennis has revived this thread... I have added a section with links to fan filmmaker resources to Star Trek Reviewed. I've split this: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/249.html a collection of links to other Star Trek Fan Film websites, into a section about other websites about existing Star Trek Fan Films (which was already there) and a new section with resources to make them. Curiously, this page has long been one of the most active at STR, second only to the Table of Contents in all-time hits.