Anti-Borg technology and tactics

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Hando, May 31, 2013.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If you have a better explanation...

2. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

One word

Genesis

Why not build a few of these. Sure they could destroy a Cube.

I think the Klingons and Romulans would understand if its for borg bashing.

3. Hando

Hando Commander Red Shirt

I don't believe that the Genesis weapon/torpedo is such a kill-all weapon.
    I would say that if detonated it transforms matter into a M-class planet with life. But, I don't believe that it would work against a shielded enemy. Maybe first get the enemy's shields down and then Genesis eliminates them.
    But even then, a proto-Genesis would me more effective, after all we don't need planets (and if they are created in the wrong place all life on them would still die out). Just destruction would be enough, so a singularity/black hole would be better - to destroy ought to be enough, no need for creation.

4. Crazyewok

It seems pretty destructive as the enterprise had to go to warp to get away from it.

But as for the planet building stuff. No you dont need it so yeah it would be a weaponised version.

5. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

I think people overestimate the Borg's interest in the Federation, there are thousands of worlds they can conquer and the Feds just happened to be a passing opportunity to find out what they are about.

Shooting cubes with fanwank phasers works up to a point if you apply the "borg adapts" rule to it, and considering how many drones are out there spread out among many cubes across the galaxy.

6. Crazyewok

But they were intrested enough to go back in time and try and assimilate earth.

7. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

They sent another cube , no big deal, they have thousands of ships operating concurrently in the galaxy, earth is no more a prize to them than any other world they routinely take.

8. DonIago

Really. The Borg were quite capable of assimilating Earth whenever they wanted to. See what I did there? :p

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, she had no shields. If in full repair and outside the disrupting nebula, she might have weathered the Genesis wave just fine for all we can tell.

ST:FC doesn't look too illogical to me; it's more in the "Ooh, they didn't tell us everything - how alien and mysterious!" category. One possible scenario has the Borg coming in for their second attempt at assimilating Earth and its technological secrets; finding this too difficult, they launch plan B, which is to destroy Earth's ability to develop these Collective-threatening technologies. And this requires preventing Earth from creating the Federation, which is easily accomplished by killing the one man who can lift Earth from post-WWIII apocalypse by making it worth the Vulcans' while to come and help. As a side benefit, the Borg win a free (if now uninteresting) planet that they can use for whatever they do with planets.

Or then Plan B was always their one and only goal here, as they had already decided the Federation was too much a hassle to assimilate and too big a nuisance to leave be, and had chosen to nip all that in the bud with a bit of time travel. They still went from Borglandia to Earth in the 24th rather than 21st century because... Well, perhaps simply because they wanted to assimilate the latest Starfleet technologies and tactics before they nullified Starfleet altogether, and a suicide run with a Cube would accomplish that. Or then because back in the 21st century, there were obstacles between Borghome and Earth much bigger than mere Starfleet.

Timo Saloniemi

10. Crazyewok

Correct me if Im wrong but by first contact the borg would have just started there war with 8472.

Seeing as that went bad fast Im wondering if the Borg did'nt send the sphere back in time to take modern borg tec along with modern fed tec back in time to give the borg a big boost so when they eventualy encounted 8472 they would be 300 more advanced.

11. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

What Genesis? Khan killed everyone who worked on it except for Drs. Marcus and Marcus then blew it up together with himself the ship and most importantly the computer. Kruge destroyed the scence vessel which was studying the planet. and killed David Marcus.

Kruge died. Valkris died. Torg died.

That leaves Carol as the only person knowledgeable about it. And even if she tried to re-develop it, without David's secret -- protomatter -- it probably wouldnt work at all.

(it would depend on Saavik to tell about it --or Maltz! he survived!--, but I dont think she would. She must hate Genesis. She didnt like prtomatter BEFORE she lost her BF and got knocked by a zombie because of it.

There is no more Genesis for anyone.

12. Crazyewok

Shouldnt need too work just go bang!

We are blowing up borg cubes not terraforming here.

Im sure assimilation is so much better.....

Even though it will be all on starfleet computers. Scientists record there work, and it seems that those recording were given to starfleet as Kirk was debriefed on it by starfleet. It would be top secret but still there, no way they would delete it!. And section 31 would certainly have all the data.

Also seeing as Klingon and Romulan drones seem to be quite prevalent it seem the Romulans and Klingon have come under attack so Im guessing they have found some way to resist seeing as Quo nos and Romulus are not borg worlds. With the Romulans it may be due to there devlopmnet of thalaron weapons, kill the organic parts of the borg and render them useless. Of couse they would eventually adapt but I could see it working for a bit.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  13. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some possibilities:

A. Data writes a program for each ship in the attacking fleet to perform multiple Picard maneuvers, hitting the cube(s) with phasers and torpedos every time each ship stops. No way to predict where the ships will appear next.

B. Old Spock supplies Young Spock with the formula for Red Matter. The future fleet carries RM weapons for special occasions to either fire or beam into a cube, creating a mini-singularity that swallows the cube.

C. Tribbles. Lots and lots of tribbles.

D. All of the above.

14. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Starfleet already has things that go bang. Genesis DOES NOT go bang; its effect is more similar to V'ger's glowing torpedo bolts that hit one little corner of your ship and then spreads through the skin like an electric rash.

That probably isn't the kind of effect you'd get without protomatter, even if you're not trying to stabilize the end result into some kind of productive matrix.

Its EXISTENCE would, yes. Not the design plans, development notes or any of the pertinent data you would need to build your own. This, if you remember, was the whole reason why Khan went and killed everyone: the data wasn't in Reliant's computer, and they scrubbed every trace of it from Regula-1. If they put backups anywhere it would be in the cave underneath that little planetoid, and THAT was probably absorbed into the Genesis planet when Reliant exploded.

And went to some rather elaborate means to erase those records just hours before they were massacred by a genetically engineered lunatic.

15. Crazy Eddie

16. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Agreed, but

I think David put the protomatter in there secretly. No one knew and he died. The secret died with him (for that matter, Kruge should win a Stupid Award).

Saavik, even after being told about the protomatter, declared she had no knowledge of the Genesis torpedo Kruge wanted. Since Vulcans don't lie, that was it.

And Starfleet? well, the tape Starfleet had that Kirk, Spock and McCoy saw was one year old at that point. The rest of it was in the computer Khan stole and was destroyed. The backup tapes in Regula 1 were erased by the team when they fled the station or were collected by the Grisson -- oops.

17. Crazy Eddie

Yeah, I forgot about that... in the novelization of Wrath of Khan, Grissom went and collected the backup cache David and Carol used to hide the Genesis data before then proceeding to Genesis to survey the planet itself.

And then Kruge destroyed Grissom and killed the only scientist left who knew how to make it work.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

ANYthing is a better explanation than that assenine Temporal Cold War nonsense.

19. DonIago

I'm waiting for yours, then...

20. Crazyewok

The borg encounterd 8472 about that time.
    Seeing as that went bad fast Im wondering if the Borg did'nt send the sphere back in time to take modern borg tec along with modern fed tec back in time to give the borg a big boost so when they eventualy encounted 8472 they would be 300 more advanced.

[​IMG]