Alternate Doctors

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Ar-Pharazon, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I was thinking the other day about actors we see, that we think could be the Doctor, or at least another oddball Timelord.

I've always thought David Dixon (in something like his Ford Prefect persona) would have made a pretty good Timelord.

The obvious "taste in apparel" being a good start, not to mention the space traveling in HHGTTG.

[​IMG]

And just yesterday, while watching Top Gear, it hit me that Richard Hammond might make another good one.

He looks a little like a short David Tennant, and can be just as zany at times.

[​IMG]

Who else d'ya think would make a good Doctor/Timelord?

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we've all seen this clip before, but I find myself coming back to it from time to time and thinking how Paterson Joseph would have been amazing as a more dangerous, streetwise Doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpYWy89yVU

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh Lord, not Paterson Joseph again....

But who am I to say anything as I'm drawing blanks. Unfortunately I'm not so familiar with English actors I'd have to suggest inappropriately American choices. (BTW I'd probably rather have Jeremy Clarkson even if he doesn't fit the modern mold very well :) Dammit, now I'm picturing James May as the Doctor...)

I found this kind of interesting though, Warren Ellis had a contest to design the 13th Doctor. Some crazy entries.

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=8823

4. Cutter John

Oh :p.

But I don't know a lot of British actors, so maybe I'm not qualified either. Hell, as far as I'm concerned there are dozens who are talented enough (at least compared to their US counterparts) to take on the part. Quirkiness seems to be a requirement of the English acting profession.

Thinking about it though, if hadn't been for that goofy turn he did as the Doctor way back when, I'd nominate Rowan Atkinson for the part. The first Doctor with a beard.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. wellsweb

wellsweb Commander Red Shirt

How about Craig Ferguson? He's certainly crazy enough for the role, and he is a HUGE Whovian.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I would LOVE it to be Joseph Patterson, but that will never happen.

Other possibilities (that will also never happen):
    Rupert Penry-Jones
    Paul Bettany
    James Purefoy
    Eddie Izzard
    Jude Law
    Jonathan Davies
    Tom Hiddleston
    Mark Strong

7. wellsweb

Ha! He would be the surliest Doctor since Hartnell.

8. wellsweb

We just had the US premiere of "Elementary". Johnny Lee Miller would make an interesting Doctor.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Patrick Stewart.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

If we were going with Trek actors I'd prefer Alexander Siddig to Stewart.

Patterson Joseph would have been awesome (still might but I think his window has passed).

If we were hiring Top Gear presenters (though, why God why, is JNT back?) then May's the only choice.

11. Cutter John

Hmmm, if he were twenty years younger, I'd nominate Brian Blessed.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

WHAT!!!!!!

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I'M THE DOCTORRRRR!! WHAT'S GOING ON HEEERREE!!

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

He'd have to have a companion called Gordon who was in constant peril...

15. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Richard Coyle I think would have been good but it may be a bit late for him now. I'd love to see Jamie Parker in the role, fantastic actor.

16. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Adrian Lester. :)

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

For some reason, the BBC's business editor, Robert Peston, has always struck me as having a vaguely Doctor-ish air to him.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see a Doctor who's a little older than the recent run. Maybe mid-40s to mid-50s.

Annoyingly, I would have suggested Rupert Graves but he's now appeared on the show as a different character this season. Still, there is a previously-trodden workaround for that problem, where regeneration is concerned...

Other options: Toby Stephens (in a few years time), James Purefoy, Peter Capaldi, Gabriel Byrne. Off topic, but I think Cherie Lunghi would be great as a Time Lady companion or adversary for a slightly older Doctor. She has the right bearing/look for that kind of part, as well as a great voice.

Yes, Peter Capaldi as a somewhat abrasive & cerebral but still charming Doctor, travelling with Cherie Lunghi as his slightly superior but beautiful Time Lady companion... :adore:

(they'd need a third, younger, companion too to maintain a broad demographic appeal. Late teen or very early 20s. The added benefit of that would be that it would create quite a dysfunctional but potentially entertaining little TARDIS family.)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, Patrick Stewart and Anthony Head would be my first picks, but I don't think they're even an option (although Stewart should at least make a guest appearance already).

Rolling different ideas through my head, here are some actors I'd like to see take up the Sonic Screwdriver:

- Philip Glenister
    - Ben Daniels
    - Samuel West
    - Tobias Menzies (the Doctor with an edge? Menzies' very good playing sinister)

So, looking at the actors I came up with, I guess I'd like to see a more mature Doctor again.

20. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

James Frain
    Robert Carlyle
    Tom Hiddleston