Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ultimates and Vision are two of my favorite books. and i think Kamala Khan is great. when i first started reading comics Carol was Binary and someone else was Ms Marvel, so i guess i'm just not as attached to Carol being Ms Marvel as 5s.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doom as Iron Man is certainly......... unexpected.
    From what I've seen online Stark has been making a lot of questionable choices the last few years, so if that has continued to a point where he crosses some kind of line, then I could see him taking a step back and giving the role to somebody else.
    The choice of characters to take on the name is unexpected, but I'm not familiar enough with what's been going on with the comics to have any real opinion on what they're doing.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, I'd dislike Kamala Kahn regardless of her superhero alias. Her being called Ms. Marvel isn't an issue (even if I'll always think of Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel). I just really, really dislike Kamala as a character. She's a completely generic "annoying teenager/fangirl" character, with the only remotely unique thing about her is that she's Muslim. That part is interesting, her home life/family/backstory could be intriguing and I'm glad Marvel took a chance with that. I just hate her as a character because of her personality, whether she's written by a mediocre writer like G. willow Wilson or a decent writer like Mark Waid, I always find her extremely annoying.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Shame you didn't like this one because I found it a lot of fun. Was it more the plots or the characters? I'm assuming it's not the art, since it's at least a very pretty book to look at.

ETA: I really loved the Civil War II tie-in. If you're approaching it from the perspective that the whole event is stupid, you probably won't like it. However, if you think the event is a well-crafted but ultimately pedestrian story, I think this story adds a lot to it. It does a great job of showing the Inhumans as a nation of superpowered individuals who can be quite machiavellian in their actions. I don't think you can quite hate them for this (because Tony Stark has, so far, been unlikable), but they aren't really gaining any sympathy points either.

Yeah. Part of my Nothing is New Under the Sun argument. It's fun looking back at old letters (particularly in New Mutants, but also Daredevil since those are the ones I have physical copies of as single issues) and a lot of the same complaints we see now are there as well.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Whatever happened to Iron Man turning "evil" in the Axis crossover? I know he actually stayed that way for awhile, when and how and where did it go away?

6. Saga

as far as i know they never explained it. he wasn't really evil... just more of an asshole. Sabertooth is still good. i think everyone else affected by the spell is back to normal.

7. Alidar Jarok

Sadly, I think he just got cured either because of Secret Wars or during the eight month gap without explanation.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's.... lame...

9. Alidar Jarok

I think the eight month gap ended up causing more problems than solutions. Daredevil likely will do something interesting with it and the X-Men definitely are with Death of X, but the rest seem to be "fuck it, new status quo." Granted, Superior was interesting for what it's worth. I wouldn't want to see it continued indefinitely. The question is whether it's worth some big story or not.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Axis turned Havok evil too.

Or is he lost in time looking for the future daughter he had with Wasp that Kang stole?

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I want to see a team-up between She-Hulk, Jane Foster/Thor, Danielle Cage/ Captain America, Riri Williams/ Iron Man and Kate Bishop/Hawkeye. Hank Pym can tag along only if he uses his "Wasp" persona from his "Mighty Avengers" days.

12. Saga

you know, i'm not sure what happened to Havok post Secret Wars.

13. Guy Gardener

She-Thing, or those one or two times Rogue suited up when the Carol personality took control?

14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I can't deny the art is good. If I may digress for a moment. On Thor Goddess of Thunder, the art on the book is fantastic, but the story hasn't gone anywhere in the 2 years it's been going. Jane has appeared in 12 issues under Jason Aaron's Thor and nothing has been accomplished.

With regard to the Inhumans, they're a lot like the New Gods over at DC for me. Both are IPs with their own elaborate culture, religion and high concepts, and very few authors can get them just right. I know I might sound like I'm being picky, but I don't like a lot of what Marvel and DC does with either IP. I can drop things from my pull list, and buy trades later. Reading a story in one sitting might be better than waiting between months to read individual issues. Last time I was burned doing that was Bendis' All New and Uncanny X-Men runs. Great art but the story Bendis wove built to nothing.

15. Saga

yeah, the character that eventually became She-Thing. i forget her name.

16. Guy Gardener

Sharon Ventura pops up from time to time.

She bullied the Thing in Prison just before the end.

Might have broke his arm?

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wikipedia doesn't list any story for Havok after running off evil at the end of AXIS. Wtf? He hasn't appeared since then?

18. Guy Gardener

Yup, I ask hard questions.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Remender left Uncanny Avengers.

The quintessential problem is that Marvel can't decide on a direction for them. Just in recent memory, we have had 1) War of Kings with Inhumans ruling the Kree 2) Hickman's Universal Inhumans where we had multiple races of them and Black Bolt being the Kwistaz Haderach and 3) the current version with Inhumans as stand-ins for mutants and even before these there were multiple previous attempts, but no stability with a new creative team destroying or throwing everything the previous ones had set up.

Soule's version is by far the weakest of these recent attempts and far less innovative and seems to be more a result of the problems with Fox having the movie rights to the X-book. I frankly think Soule lost his mojo when he left DC where he was churning out three or four good to excellent books a month and now he can barely do one. If we are lucky since the Inhuman movie apparently is cancelled, this new direction goes the same way. But in the end 9 out of 10 his ideas like DnA and Hickman's will be dropped when he leaves.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I personally think that all the current Inhumans books are good, and are among Soule's best work (and I liked most his previous work a lot, too) :shrug:.