Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movies

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Dec 10, 2012.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Have you seen TNG movies? What we got was 4.5 not so great movies.

Tasha Yar's daughter should have been the bad guy (gal) in Nemesis. That would have made the movie a lot better. If they wanted a big name bad guy they could have introduced someone as her husband.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm still confused how Denise Crosby would've made Nemesis better except for the hardest of hard core Trekkies?

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really, I thought he died earlier. It would have been so cool getting Tomalak, Sela, and Spock in Nemesis. Would have made that movie so much better (And not have Data Die awfully would have been a plus too).

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Not really. I don't think one needs to have seen Space Seed to enjoy TWOK or Best of Both Worlds to enjoy FC (and of course the Borg Queen didn't even appear in BOBW).

Characters like Carol Marcus were also supposed to have had a history with Kirk but, even though they'd never appeared in a tv show or movie before, their connections were generally established with a line or two of dialogue. Why would it be harder or more distracting to do so with a character who has appeared onscreen before?

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Good point. We probably overestimate the difficulty of reviving old characters sometimes, forgetting that it's not necessary for the audience to know every tiny detail of an old character's backstory just to follow the story on the screen. After all, The Wrath of Khan didn't need to mention poor Marla by name, let alone explain that Khan's dead wife was a former Stafleet historian . . . .

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

I think you nailed it right there :lol: But if they wrote a decent script using her character...who knows?

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

My point exactly.

8. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Well, BillJ, in my mind, that would've been a good enough reason to do it! :p Part of the issue with Nemesis was that the general public didn't like it and many fans found it insulting. Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.

9. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does seem odd that the only officer from Deep Space 9 was Worf, at least from an "in-universe" perspective. I'm not quite sure what role O'Brien would have played in First Contact, as I can't quite see him fighting off the Borg and, at most, he'd have ended up with Barclay's lines, in place of Reggie. Then, of course, people in this thread would complain that O'Brien didn't really belong in the movie and Barclay should have appeared in the movie! :cool:

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He could've taken that random goldshirt's few lines about the Borg adapting and fighting them hand to hand. Given his soldier past, the role would've suited him. Stewart would only just have to throw out a "Good to see you again Chief" line. It would've just been a cameo, so it wouldn't have to be anything major.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I know many TNG fans who thought that Denise's acting was the weak link in the "Unification" two-parter.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Miles already had his farewell scene with Picard in the first episode of DS9 and also his last appearance with TNG cast in All Good Things. They were nicely done and there didn't need to be anymore appearances since his character had graduated into a main character on DS9.

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Geez, and I thought it was the writing and the direction and Nimoy that were the principal co-stars of blame in that. Sela might qualify as 'special guest blame' but it would be below-the-title billing at best.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Be glad Unification turned out as well as it did because the only reason it exists in the first place was to be a commercial for TUC.

15. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Therin, you won't get any argument from me, but if she was limited to a no-lines-just-die-from-thalaron cameo... well, it'd be pretty hard to mess that up! :techman:

And Dream, I'd never heard that before. Certainly makes sense in several ways...

16. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

Great point. I know there's no director alive that goes into a movie thinking they're making a dud, but I'd like to believe they could at least think "even if everybody doesn't like it, at least it will get points for these callbacks."

That other idea about having Crosby in the background at Nemesis with no other explanation would have just been fantastic also. It could have created a whole new meme: "Wesley the Traveler did it."

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

While Crosby's acting was definitely lackluster, there were much bigger problems with Unification starting with the story.

18. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

As far as series characters in movies, if they could have gotten Forbes to play ball on the series, Ro Laren would have been great to have in the movies.

19. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Ensign Ro is my favourite minor TNG character. I'd have liked seeing her but don't really think they'd have done much justice to the character in the TNG movies considering how poorly used most of the major TNG characters were.

20. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472

Well i would have loved to see Admiral Janeway commanding the fleet that was about to help the Enterprise,maybe also with the fleet we could have seen Major Kira,Seven of Nine <3