Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I don't watch films multiple times and I've already seen this twice - once at the cinema and once on a dodgy copy someone lent me so I doubt I'd play the film more than once, if that. I do like to collect things though and do like watching the 'extras' so its special editions all the way for me.

It looks likethe UK Sainsburys version is the same as the US Target release so I might get that one. Otherwise I may not bother...

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Back in the day, when the latest Trek movie would be released on home video, they would charge around $99.99 for it. At least they did for TFF and TUC. The only "extra feature" you got on TFF was an annoying trailer for Indian Jones and the Last Crusade which you'd probably be fast-forwarding through to get to the movie. Eventually, once the studio made a buttload of cash, the price would drop to around $19.99, which is when I'd pick them up.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I explained why this was in an above post.. but basically, a lot of studios priced videos to rent, so that way video stores could get a special rate to rent the videos (sending a percentage of every rental back to the studios) so the prices for buying the videos were purposefully made to dissuade regular customers form buying them.

This practice is arcane now, but it did happen for a while.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Damn. DAMN! Just received my Amazon STID Steelbook Blu-ray exclusive from the postwoman, and, it's beat up to hell. Not just minor damage mind you, it's bent, pitted and mangled - making it impossible to close the case.

I'm off to the post office to return it now. After a weekend chock full of bad luck, this delivery just caps it. Man, I'm in a REALLY shitty mood right now.

I've never returned anything to Amazon before, does anybody have any experience? How long does the replacement process take?

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Very quick in the UK - they will post your replacement today as a new order and credit you with the return when they receive it.

I've just picked up the Sainsburys Bluray which has the Target bonus DVD free with it.

Anyone found any of the other stuff on Youtube yet ?

6. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

7. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Seems to be a problem with the iTunes digital download in the UK. While the HD version is working fine, the SD version seems to cut out at about 110mb, eventually giving a file corrupted error.

Seems a few people are having this problem. Not a major issue if you just want the HD version, but may be an issue if you want the smaller file to put it on your phone or tablet.

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Conservative forces tend to keep businesses stuck in the old model.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ordered the Bluray/digital copy set today.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

This comment by me was in reply to a post by Scruggernaut. Trek Core are reporting the German 3D release of STID does indeed include a VAR version of the movie. So, seemingly, if you want the IMAX footage, it is available on physical media. Scruggernaut, perhaps you won't have to hold your breath after all. :techman:

Can anybody confirm the German 3D Blu-ray is VAR, and whether the disc contains the English DD True HD 7.1 soundtrack? It's not clear at Amazon.de

11. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've just watched the extras if u can call them extras there only 6 mins long each and there are 6 mini Documentaries. I found them good some really good film making secrets. Loved how they used a drone to look like the flying Vehicle that attacked the starfleet building all it was is a framework with lights on it. JJ wanted a physical prop and not a CGI one.

Just want more now let's hope there's more to come !!!

12. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

As far as I know, nobody has a copy of the German disc yet.

13. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

The German editions usually have the same English audio as the UK/US versions, I highly suspect this will be the case here as well.

I have ordered the steelbook from the UK though, which should arrive today.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. Although, in the US, ST II was the Paramount home video used to test a "reduced price" campaign. Where TMP had been about $60(?), ST II was a special Pizza Hut offer at about $29(?). Here in Australia, we missed getting ST II on a special offer (it was $AU 79, just like TMP), but we did get the next Paramount release, "Indiana Jones", at Pizza Hut for the cheap price.

And yes, the later Trek movie videos were released on sell-through at the video rental store price, both in the US in Australia. I was unimpressed by ST V so, when it came out on VHS, it was the only Trek movie video I bought second hand as an ex-rental.

15. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

16. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I remember our family getting TWOK on video that way. TMP came out for something like $79.99 originally, and we got it at a department store that was closing down, discounted to $39.99.

In the US, ST V didn't make enough at the box office, so it was initially released on video at $89.99 or thereabouts. It was the first Trek film that we had to wait to get since TWOK, since everything after TWOK was available on video release for about $39.99 or so.

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Interesting. From your review, it sounds like the manner in which the "commentary" was produced that it was never actually intended to be incorporated as an extra audio track as "standard" with DVD/BR, but to be watched as a completely separate feature.

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still think that's bogus (on the part of Paramount, not TrekCore :techman:) Many movies have seamless braching available, including the TOS season sets. While this would be a bit of a more complicated example, it could still definitely be done, and I read a post that some other movies have done commentaries like this on the disc without an issue (I think BTTF was one example).

19. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seamless branching might not fit on the disc without decreasing quality. It's 20 minutes longer than the movie, and based on the IMAX alternating ratio that was decided against (possibly to reproduce what most people saw at the cinema, rather than the relatively low number who saw the IMAX release).

It should also be pointed out that it was likely made at 720p.

I suspect the features themselves were produced by Bad Robot rather than Paramount, if the source quoted on the initial review at TrekCore is an indication.

Saying that, the decision not to have a regular commentary is a disappointment, and the splitting of features between retailer exclusives was problematic to say the least.

20. Casas9425

Casas9425 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wonder if Abrams leaving for Star Wars had anything to do with this. Seems like the supplements were thrown together at the last minute by Bad Robot before Abrams left for the galaxy far, far away.