DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

We know of one case where it did abort a run: Hickman on Ultimates.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What's the connection between the New 52 and Hickman's Ultimates run?

3. Hound of UIster

Lower than expected sales because of Nu52 lead to his departure apparently.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I wonder what sort of sales Marvel expected from Ultimates. I think history's shown over the past decade that the Ultimate Universe simply isn't especially viable in the marketplace as anything more than a mid-tier property (excepting Ultimate Spider-Man, because it's manifestly different than the 616 version). If they expected something more than that, I'd wonder what they were smoking. Ultimates launched with a perfectly respectable number the month before the Nu52 launched, and when Hickman left ten months later he'd only bled about 15k in readers over his run which, frankly, was a pretty good capture rate.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually find the idea of Lois Lane revealing Superman's identity kind of interesting. It's definitely a great recipe for a shocking moment when it actually happens, and could lead to some interesting complications for Clark to deal with.

It sounds like DC might be making some pretty interesting decisions in the post-Convergence comics. Honestly, some of the stuff I'm hearing about is making me think again about switching from the Pre-Flashpoint to N52 comics.

6. Hound of UIster

Hickman iirc was the center piece of their effort to revive the ultimates line. They had given it to him after he had taken the scripting job for Ultimate Thor (according to some stories).

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/01/29/jonathan-hickman-secret-wars-its-end-horror-story

I really would recommend that you wait awhile to pull the trigger especially on Superman/Action at least. Batman and Justice League sound interesting enough.

But the editorial politics on the Superbooks is a little messed up. If the identity idea was Gene Yang's and not really forced on him, then I could see potential for an interesting run. But if it's being forced on him by the editor (who has a bad record with writers on the previous JLA imo) then it could be an absolute clusterfuck.

Edit:

http://gerryconway.tumblr.com/post/117619743363/who-created-caitlin-snow-on-theflash-according

I definitely have a new appreciation for the Kahn-Levitz era.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm probably going to start with the beginning of the N52. I figure since most of them are only 40ish issue so far, and 30ish are already collected in 5 or 6 volumes each, it won't take long to get caught up.
    It really is amazing the lengths companies will go to not to pay people what they deserve. :thumbdown:

EDIT: I just read about the end of Batman #40 on IGN's interview with Snyder and Capullo, crazy stuff.
    If the characters are going to die, then I think that is a perfect way for them to go out. I have to laugh though, because they pretty much admit they already know how they are going to come back.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Batman #40 was a solid ending, but like the last issue of Zero Year it was slightly perfunctory. The ending was certainly interesting... and as I suspected they did NOT reveal whether he was lying or not...

Justice League #40 was an interesting prologue with a big new revelation about the Anti-Monitor. Was that a brand new character at the end? I loved the meta-textual commentary about how this reality has been cobbled together from previous worlds and is unstable and falling apart. Is there something you want to tell us, Geoff? :lol:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was thinking about Batman #40 all day today. It really stuck with here. Here's a great interview with Snyder and Capullo about it:

http://www.newsarama.com/24337-batman-40-snyder-and-capullo-explain-surprise-ending-spoilers.html

Looking back at the issue as Snyder's take on the Death of Batman makes it work a lot better. Obviously he and the Joker will come back a few issues down the road. But it really was a beautiful ending, them dying together like that.

According the interview, this issue proves that Joker was NOT the Pale Man of legend. I re-read the issue and I see that now. I'm a little disappointed, I thought that was a real mind blowing twist that would have explained all of Joker's miraculous survivals over the years. So was the Pale Man thing entirely invented by him then?

EDIT: I was just wondering to myself, when is Bruce Wayne going to make his big return? How long will this latest Replacement Batman arc run? Then I realized, the Batman Superman movie comes out in March 2016 and he'll return at that exact moment. So that means we'll get nine issues without Bruce.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Superman #40... man, that was embarrassing. JRJR should not be on writing duties. They were waaaaaay too jokey and goofy with each other. Particularly Batman. And Superman's dialogue was so juvenile and out of character.

11. Hound of UIster

Putting experienced artists on writing gigs is never a good idea. I don't expect anything good from the Hitch JLA giving the disaster from the Finch WW and Liefeld Grifter/Hawkman/Deathstroke.

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John Byrne, Walt Simonson, Jerry Ordway, George Perez, Keith Giffen, and Mike Mignola all disagree.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Actually, in the forward for the first Hellboy collection Mignolia thanks John Byrne's help writing his first stories because he knew he was terrible at first ;)

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually really didn't mind it and quite enjoyed John Jr's writing stint aside from Bruce's characterization, and them just hanging out was a welcomed reprieve from the shit storm that's about to hit with "TRUTH" :) and just the usual regular darkness that is around the 52'Verse. I wouldn't put him on it on a regular basis, but as a one off here and there, you could certainly do worse, like say Adam Kurbert writing "Damian: Son of Batman".

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has JRjr written anything before?

16. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I liked his "Real Heroes". What little of it made it to print, anyway.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't believe John Jr. has written anything before. This issue was touted as his debut.

18. Hound of UIster

These aren't exactly the most ringing endorsements especially Byrne and Ordway and Giffen. Given the high failure rate here I think you have made at least a better case that artists turned writers just are not really reliable.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Just read "Divergence". The Batman story was pure set-up but I did love how meta it was, down to Gordan saying this was the stupidest idea ever :lol: It was jarring to see the news talking about Batman so openly, but I guess with the Zero Year story he is a public figure, versus in the 90s when he was an urban myth.

The Superman story... is clearly something that's going to be undone somehow, so really the question is how, a global mind-wipe?

The Justice League story... very interesting to learn Darkseid's Daughter was born from an Amazon! Interesting twist on the story.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Byrne and Giffen have had some of the most critically acclaimed runs on series in comics history!