La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

From previous conversations I've had with Jay Chattaway back when Voyager and Enterprise were still airing, I seem to recall him saying Peter Lauritson was the hands on guy with the music 99 percent of the time. He would be the executive producer at the majority of the sessions that would be calling the shots. The others (Berman and others) would only come by for the "bigger" episodes.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

There you go then. Lauritson, much like Bob Justman, was the guy in those music spotting sessions I described then, at least during Voyager and Enterprise.

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking for myself -- it's not a big deal. Like I said, I was just curious about the process, that's all. Thanks for the info.

4. doubleohfive

Ah gotcha. No worries then! :)

5. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I have to say I ordered this and I cannot wait to listen through, especially since I am rereading the DS9-R for Literary Treks and doing The Orb! Perfect timing. The music for DS9 was always wonderful.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Heck, listening to the TOS box set, it's evident how much Fred Steiner reused his own motifs. He recycled his Romulan theme as the "Blackship Theme" for "Mirror, Mirror" (and George Duning then used it for Henoch's theme), he reused his leitmotifs for Mudd's women and Andrea in "By Any Other Name," his "Who Mourns for Adonais" score is largely a rehash of themes from "Charlie X" and "The Corbomite Maneuver," etc.

Steiner's and McCarthy's reuses don't bother me much because they're reusing material within the same series or franchise. I don't recall McCarthy doing much reuse across franchises, such as melodies from V or MacGyver showing up in TNG, though there were a couple of close approximations. I think the reason it's more annoying when James Horner does it is because he does cross franchises rather indiscriminately, like reusing TWOK music in Cocoon or Aliens.

7. doubleohfive

Indeed. Growing up, I'd pass through the family room while my siblings would watch DuckTales, myself usually drawn in because I couldn't for the life of me understand why I was hearing TNG from the other room. Lo and behold, Ron Jones' music for DuckTales sounds a hell of a lot like some of his music for TNG! :lol:

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know Ron Jones didn't write the theme song, but now I can't get it out of my head. THANKS A LOT double oh! :p

I'm sharing my pain and hoping to gain strength from the sharing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMU2NwaaXEA

9. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Woo! My copy has been dispatched - and it's entirely possible I got one of the signed ones!

10. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

They sold out within ten minutes so if you were quick on the trigger, you probably got one!

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

What's your order number? These are the orders that are getting the signed copy.

63078 - 63210

12. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

63181. But I had a minor hiccup when ordering, such that it didn't go through until a couple of minutes later than the suggested cutoff time. So I shall wait and see.

13. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

just ordered it.....now the long wait for it to arrive in the uk begins.

14. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone know if the Bar Fight music from Trials and Tribbelations? will be included in the set?

15. Christopher

^I think I saw it on the track list, yes.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's there, on the last disk.

I got mine in the mail yesterday, which was a surprise, considering that I ordered it last Tuesday afternoon. I figured I had at least another week wait ahead of me, considering how long it took for them to send the TOS set.

Not that I'm complaining of course.:bolian:

17. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

YES! thanks. I'm excited to get it now.

18. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

David Bell and Jay Chattaway were my favorite Star Trek composers but yes Bell was the most repetitive! I could usually tell within a minute or two that it was him scoring the episode. That being said I loved the more dark and sober edge his music brought...particularly to DS9.

19. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The one big V reuse I remember McCarthy doing on TNG was in Encounter at Farpoint. The fanfare he used for Q's entrance as the judge was also his fanfare for The Leader in the final episode of V. Other than that, he mostly only used his military snare thing on TNG sometimes.

20. Christopher

Gee, I could usually tell within a couple of bars which composer it was. The orchestrations and rhythms that McCarthy, Chattaway, and Bell used were very distinctive. Bell was particularly easy since he routinely did his Trek scores in waltz time. I think he also used more French horns than the others. McCarthy was big on brass and strings and used pretty steady 4/4 time. Chattaway also used a lot of brass, but less solo trumpet, and less cello and bass than McCarthy; he also tended to make more use of long sustained notes and varying or syncopated rhythms, without the same kind of driving ostinati that the other two used.

Oh yeah, I discovered that recently, but had forgotten.