Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. The Mattimeo

The Mattimeo Cadet Newbie

I've been picturing Paul Boretski as Calhoun. He played Commander Goddard in Peter David's show Space Cases.
    And For Si Cwan i see Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. He's got the looks and the acting chops to pull off a character like Cwan.

I was figuring the Kristen Bell would make a good Vale. But she's a bit too young

2. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've proposed Fillion before, but he's still not the perfect choice. Downey isn't right physically. Even more, I'm imagining his take on Mac in my head, and it doesn't feel right. Downey doesn't have the requisite warrior's dignity that Calhoun needs, and no matter how good an actor he is, I don't think he can project that. He's got tremendous presence, but it's not the right kind of presence. It would be like casting Ian McKellen as Picard. Similar, but off.

Aside from being a little young, Joe Flannigan is a perfect physical match for Calhoun. That and his snarky sense of humour as John Sheppard is why people draw those comparisons. On a surface level, he seems perfect. But, no, Flannigan isn't the right choice. He has neither the range, nor the gravitas.

Gibson around the time of Conspiracy Theory, with darkened hair and some of the edge he had in The Patriot and We Were Soldiers, would have been perfect. But that's a very brief window, and today, there's no way it would work.

Back when NF first came out, I was picturing Alec Baldwin in his Jack Ryan days. Again, except for that very brief window of time, it wouldn't have worked at all.

Uh, no. He's huge and imposing, but not in the right way. He'd be a better choice for Kebron, though not compared with someone like Michael Clarke Duncan. And seriously, saying The Rock has "acting chops," is like saying Joan Rivers can sing opera. He's got some comic timing that works well in kids movies, but he's less of an actor than my spaniel.

Far too young.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I actually agree about Alec Baldwin in his Jack Ryan days...he would've been more low-key than my mental image of Calhoun, but I could see him doing an interesting take on the character.

I still don't like Mel Gibson, for much the same reason you don't like Downey... his version of the character 'feels' wrong to me. Maybe we just have really different mental images :lol:

Oh, and The Rock and Bell are both really far off, I think. I love Vosloo as Cwan more and more, the more I think about it.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Arnold Voloss is the Mummy from the first two Mummy movies, right? He really doesn't seem quite big enough for me. Even if he isn't the best actor, Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is closer to how I've imagined him looking.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I never imagined him that huge, actually; just well-built, and with... presence.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Arnold Vosloo is 6'3", only one inch shorter than Dwayne Johnson.

7. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Johnson is imposing, but like a football player. I don't think Si Cwan is that...broad. Vosloo, on the other hand, has the quiet dignity, and better range as an actor, that more than makes up for losing an inch.

8. Cheile

Cheile Ensign Red Shirt

okay got tied up in my own projects and haven't visited here in awhile.

who did you have in mind for Corsi, KRAD? :)

and ever since i read A Singular Destiny, i've been trying to figure out in my head who i could see as Fabian Stevens.

(anyone wanna clue me in on how to make a spoiler tag? i cant find it in the FAQ)

9. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I don't know why, but I immediately thought of Lieutenant Lucy D'Odorico (from Destiny) as Danielle Panabaker.

A rough photoshop:

[​IMG]

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the bloke who played Stevens on Deep Space Nine'd be favourite...

to use spoilers click on the smilie with the X over his mouth up above the reply box. right end of the top line.

or use [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler] without the spaces

11. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Marjorie Monaghan -- among other things, she played "Number One" on Babylon 5, and was up for T'Pol on Enterprise.

Jay Baker, who played him in "Starship Down" on DS9.

12. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

Nathan Fillion as Calhoun, does he have the kajumpaght?

13. Cheile

Cheile Ensign Red Shirt

oh i didn't know Fabe was a canon character. oy.

and i see what you mean about Marjorie Monaghan...though she looks "softer" than i pictured Corsi to be. just my opinion.

i adore Nathan Fillion but i have to add my votes to the "not sure" camp as to whether or not he could pull off Calhoun.

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I think if you mixed a little bit of Caleb from Buffy season 7 with Mal Reynolds, you'd wind up with a fairly servicable Mac Calhoun.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, I've just decided that if they should ever cast Velisa, host of Illuminating the City of Light in Articles of the Federation and A Singular Destiny, Rachel Maddow should play her. :)

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Oooooooh. Me likey!

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I just started reading "A Singular Destiny" and I've been picturing Bruce Davison as Professor Sonek Pran.

And while I can't remember the character's name, you remember in "Section 31: Abyss" that rogue scientist who was breeding his own Jem'Hadar? I always thought that would be a good role in which to finally bring admitted Trekkie Tom Hanks into the Star Trek universe.

Agreed. For further examples, I offer Marlon Brando as Jor-El in Superman.

Agreed. At least, that's who I see whenever I'm reminded of how old she is.

Wasn't he one of the guys in "Space Mutiny" of MST3K fame?

I agree about Helfer as Treir.

As for Bowers, I'm surprised too. But then, for a while, I thought Sam Bowers was a woman. And in the bits I've been reading from "A Singular Destiny," I've been picturing Lt. Carey from Voyager.

...on Super Friends!:guffaw:

18. enterprisefan

enterprisefan Ensign Newbie

I only have two.

Kiefer Sutherland for Major Stephen Foyle

Jordana Brewster for Lieutenant Kiona Thayer

19. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I actually pictured Alan Dale as Major Foyle for some reason.

20. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I had no awareness of the magnificent Ms. Maddow when I wrote Articles in 2004, but that works for me. :techman:

As I've said here and elsewhere, the template for Pran is Arlo Guthrie. Having said that, Davison's not a bad choice at all...

:brickwall:

Given that Helfer has played, in essence, six or seven different roles on Battlestar Galactica, I'm sure she could pull it off.... FWIW, though, the template for Treir has always been Suzie Plakson.

He is, in fact, black, and has been described as such regularly. Initially, when I wrote Bowers in Demons of Air and Darkness, my template for him was Michael Boatman, but by the time I got to write him again in ASD, I had come around to Mr. Mack's notion of him being Roger Cross.