Star Trek Uniforms WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by uniderth, Apr 5, 2015.

1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

We're all familiar with the classic uniform drawings. Hands behind the back and headless. Well, I've been wanting to redo the Starfleet uniforms, but with a bit more detail and "realism."

Some of the things I want to do are:

- Adding more realistic folds, textures and shading to the uniforms.
    - Change the pose. A lot of details are lost with the hands behind the back pose. I want to have a few different poses to add variety.
    - Add people inside. Ideally, I want to have a unique face with every uniform.

I've been working on this project slowly over the past few weeks starting with The Next Generation Season 1-2 uniform.

With this first post I'm asking for your help in regards to proportions. Do the hands, head, and feet look like the right size? I've been looking at it so long I can't really tell anymore.

Here it is so far; and as the title says this is a work in progress.

[​IMG]

2. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is pretty good :techman:

3. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

Looks good except for the left ankle. We shouldn't see all the way through the slit above his boot. We should see the inside of the uniform leg.

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Excellent work!

Maybe it's not visible on my screen, but there should be division color piping around the arrowhead slit on his ankle cuffs.

5. uniderth

Thanks for the replies. I will be adding all those details as it progresses. I've been working on the arms and chest area. I'll be finishing the shoulders next and then move on to the legs.

6. Cromwell

Cromwell Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is great, I'm really looking forward to its completion!

I've never been a particularly gifted artist, however, so I can't offer you much practical advice.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome Uniform Pic :)

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with you about the classic drawings, I always hated having the cuffs hidden. As for this, the upper half looks great! It's obvious that you're still working on the lower half, but the pose doesn't look quite natural to me. The upper half by itself looks fine, as does the lower half by itself, but the two halves together don't quite match. The torso is just about face-on, but you can see the right side of the right boot. I just tried standing like that, and I felt a bit twisted up.

I look forward to your progress! What program are you using?

9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks good! One suggestion - the S1 and 2 TNG uniforms had seams that went along the edge of the black side areas. They came to a point with the center seam right above the crotch. It looks a bit odd to delineate one seam and not the others.

10. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I think he's calling out the one because it was also a zipper.

However, I do think it's too distinct. It should not be so heavy, or straight. I also think Picard's left arm connects to his body in an odd way. It seems too short top-to-bottom.

--Alex

11. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but the other seams could be seen just as easily. They would also help get the correct angle on the black side panels.

12. uniderth

Yeah, I'll be adding those seams in when I get some time. I'm just about done with the shading and seams on the colored part.

Albertese
    I can see what you're talking about the left arm. I'll fix that.

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The disconnect between the angle/perspective of his upper and lower bodies is distracting.

14. uniderth

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this but I have gotten a little bit done. As far as the angle of the lower body I think it may be the angle of the right boot that is really throwing it off. The boot makes it look as if the foot is turned inward rather then simply out and forward.

[​IMG]

Here is the template I used for the body:

[​IMG]

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the problem is that basing it on a sculpture results in it not having real 'weight.' It isn't quite contrapposto, but the position of the feet suggests it should be.

16. uniderth

I think this looks quite a bit better. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

17. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Yep, he looks more comfortable standing like that. :) The right foot could be rotated outwards just a little more, and it would be perfect.

I really like all of the shading on here, too.

-Ricky

18. uniderth

So this uniform is pretty much done. Next I'll be changing colors and faces for the other two divisions. I'll need to start on another pose base as well.

[​IMG]

19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Great work on the proportions, likeness, shading and colors. :bolian:

20. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Looks great. :)

-Ricky