Why was it cancelled?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by BillJ, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

3. Maurice

4. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Nerys Myk

Marvel took over the Tarzan books from DC in 1977. The series came out in 1976. Kubert (DC) and Buscema (Marvel) took similar approaches to the character,

6. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Geoff, did you happen to have read any of Marvel's John Carter, Warlord of Mars series back in those days? I read a number of them, and I found them interesting. Your comment made me think of it, is all.

7. Nerys Myk

I was a massive ERB fan in the 70s. I read anything ERB related. I enjoyed the Marvel series, but I prefer the DC take with art by Murphy Anderson.

8. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

Have seen the Carson of Venus stuff that ran in Korak with art by Kaluta - stunning, especially the splash pages.

I too am a huge ERB nut and also a Murphy Anderson fan. His Atomic Knights was great stuff and he always had a way of making the artist's pencils look even better. His inking on Infantino was a great match for Adam Strange.

9. Leon

Leon Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Saturday morning TV during the 1960's- 70's was a beautiful thing :D

10. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the early 80s too! I wonder why the channels have let Saturday morning entertainment slide? Over here in the UK it was a fantastic time until ITV and BBC slung Tiswas and The Multi Coloured Swap Shop at us!
    JB

11. Maurice

Saturday morning ceased to be relevant because of cable channels having large animation blocks in the afternoons (anyone remember TNT Toons?), plus Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon and home video. So many options that the emphasis on network kidvid blocks got somewhat deemphasized. If there was money to be made the old way someone would be doing it.

12. Leon

I remember from the late 1970's thru the mid- 1980's when many of the networks began to drop cartoons from the Saturday morning lineups. There was a lot of blame put on violence in the programming such as Looney Toons, some of the superhero type shows, as well as 'toons which were spun- off from real life TV shows.

There have been books published which chronicle Saturday morning TV and it's history.
    YouTube
    also has some pretty cool little snippets from this period and are definitely worth looking into.

13. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

And now the Saturday morning cartoon is dead...

14. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Television in general is atrocious these days as well! It's more feasable now that television may well disappear well before the twenty third century!
    JB

15. Leon

Yes, a very sad and unfortunate truth.

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, violence had been gutted from adventure (superhero, etc.) by the end of 1969. For example, Filmation's superhero series produced between 1966-69 contained a good dose of violence associated with characters of that kind. Like a night & day change, by the end of the decade, it was gone (see: their 1977 Batman series).

Guns, fists, kicks and death (by any means) vanished from nearly 100% of network series of the next two decades, save for rare exceptions, such as the occasional struggle & Phaser shot on the animated Star Trek, & gorillas threatening with rifles on Return to the Planet of the Apes (both NBC).

On the syndicated front, things were a bit different; imports--even when edited--retained a level of violence (seen or implied) no network production would dare touch, hence the reason the awful Super Friends (ABC) was a collection of glorified finger wagging, rather than anything kids would have expected from a superhero group.

The syndicated Battle of the Planets felt like a true superhero program more than the nationally established DC characters from the Super Friends.

Even the great Jonny Quest was edited when rerun on networks in the 70s /80s, along with removing allegedly culturally insensitive content.

17. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

I don't know about that. I think most shows on the broadcast networks are atrocioius, but there are diamonds in the rough, and the premium networks like HBO are putting out some really good stuff. Prime time TV as we know it may be dying...but TV is far from dead.

18. Maurice

We generally only remember the good shows from the past. Just look at the entire schedule of NBC in the mid to late 70s and you'll see how rotten TV could be.

19. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The type of programming or at least entertainment value that was TV will continue to exist, but it will likely change media to the Internet sooner than later. There are already a few internet youtube channels that can rival television shows for the number of viewers.

By the era of Star Trek, if there is still a need for recorded entertainment, than I would gather it would be in a new media such as the holodeck, or earlier versions of that technology by the 23rd century. It would become more and more interactive, combining present day TV with computer game Roleplaying Games, and potenally MMO style entertainment on a networked holodeck (planetary only...subspace lag makes raiding difficult from Andoria to Terra). One would probably not see much of this on a starship, but there are hints of it even in Voyager about Janeway enteracting with holodeck children's entertainment when she was little.

20. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True. Just look at cartoons in the late 60s (Herculoids, Fantastic Four, Superman, Space Ghost, Jonny Quest). That was an amazing time if you were a young boy getting up to spend saturday morning watching cartoons. But the censors got up in arms and kidvid got basically neutered for the next 13 to 15 years. I was a dedicated watcher for all those years, but so much of it was basically warmed-over crap designed to make parents' groups feel safer (and especially mothers who wouldn't know what is entertainment to a young boy if their life depended on it).