Original or remastered effects?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Melakon, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Everything they did with the shuttlecraft and hangar deck in TOS-R looks awful. The launch sequence always looks like a video game as opposed to a controlled launch as seen in TOS. Indeed, in real life a lot of the launch sequence would probably be done on automatic and by computer guidance rather than the pilot actually doing it manually. Crew control stopped at Spock (or the flight mission's commander) ordering "initiate launch" and the pilot hitting the switch for the automatic launch to go. And that's what it looks like in TOS. Same with the shuttlecraft landings. I really don't see Starfleet shuttlecraft being manually piloted for the launch and landing sequences.

In truth TOS' hangar deck miniature is depicted a bit too large (in terms of forced perspective) making the hangar look impossibly long. Mind you the TAS version is WAY oversized. And the TOS shuttlecraft looks a bit too small in the hangar. The original shot could be tweaked a bit to correct for scale without throwing off the overall feel of the scene.

2. Praetor Baldric

Praetor Baldric Lieutenant Commander

I see nothing but good in these enhancements.

3. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Remastered.

Worth it for "The Doomsday Machine" alone.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

We've probably all done a version of The Doomsday Machine. I used to have one of those little 5" AMT 3-ship sets. I did up the Enterprise as the Constellation, using a hot knife and paint to damage the saucer and one of the nacelles. Used to keep it on my desk at work.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes...awful is right. There is nothing remotely realistic about the game like rendering of the shuttle/shuttlebay sequences. How that was approved is beyond reason.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You can dump on TFF for all kinds of reasons, but there is one scene in it that resonates on this point. When Kirk orders their shuttlecraft to make a hasty emergency landing into the hangar bay Sulu actually looks a bit concerned, bolstering the idea that landings and launches are are near universally done on automatic. Probably a tractor beam guides the shuttlecraft in and out of the bay.

I think a lot of TOS-R gets attention largely because it was new and different, but when some really start to scrutinize it you start to see a lot of misses. I reiterate that I don't think a lot of the new f/x are a fail as a work unto itself, but that a lot of it doesn't fit seamlessly with the original aesthetic.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I did the same thing a year or so ago. I got Netflix and almost right away shut off my cable. It was a no-brainer for me: I was paying over $100 a month for no HD and hundreds of channels I never watched. Less than $10 month and I was able to watch what I wanted as many times as I wanted. Later I added Hulu Plus so see newer weekly shows. I'm out of luck with sports, but there's still relatives' houses and radio if nothing else. I'll never go back to cable.
    Nope, with Netflix you just pay a monthly fee like you would with cable, it's just a much smaller bill. I can't remember exactly what I'm paying, but I think it's still under $10 a month. I can stream TOS in HD all day long, and all the other Trek's as well. You can also rent the discs themselves, on either DVD or bluray, and they'll send them through the mail, so you can see the things you can't stream like DVD special features or commentary. There are no late fees -- I've kept some movies for nearly a month -- and never any extra charges. As I understand it , the monthly fee is based on how many movies you want to be able to rent through the mail at one time, i.e. you'll pay more if you want to be able to get two or three movies at once instead of just one. I just do the one movie at a time. You keep a list of the movies you want on the main Netflix website, and they send you what's on top of your list. If it's unavailable, they'll instead send you the next movie on your list. When you're done with it you just stick it back in the envelope, seal it up, and send it back out.

The only thing, though, is to be able to stream on your TV, you need a device to stream through. I have two, a bluray player which streams in HD, and a Wii in my room that only streams in standard definition. You can also stream through your computer.

I also have Hulu Plus, which is a flat monthly fee of, I think, $7. I'm only able to stream through my Wii, though. A lot of TV networks are on Hulu, so you get new shows weekly after they first air (and some shows before they actually air). Having Hulu is more like having cable TV, I suppose, whereas Netflix is like going to the video store to rent a movie. I believe both services offer all the Trek series, but I much prefer Netflix to Hulu. I have a lot more trouble with streaming titles on Hulu than on Netflix, which almost never gives me any trouble. It may be that my Wii just doesn't like Hulu; it frequently locks up while streaming and I end up having to do a hard shut down. Really annoying.