"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Savage Dragon, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I can hear him say it. Some things are just, you know, right.

2. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

McDonald's now has a 32 oz sweet tea for only $1.

Mmmmmmmmmm :)

3. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

Yeah, What JustKate said.

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. By the 24th century, computers should be more user adaptive. Certainly on ships with repeat commands from the crew to the computer, the computer would develop a pattern recognition and act accordingly.

Funny thing... In the USA, "tea" usually means "hot tea" in the north. But apparently in southern regions "tea" usually means "iced tea." It makes sense, given the predominant climates. From what I understand, worldwide it is generally accepted that "tea" means "hot tea."

And yet... no milk? Or sugar? Those are common things to add to tea. Apparently there are certain assumptions made on board the 1701-D.

Picard: "Computer, my usual beverage."
    Computer: "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot." And the cup materializes.

I think he could have gotten away with this, rather than having to spell it out each time. Or at the very least, "Tea, Earl Grey", with the 'hot' just assumed. If someone wants iced, then "Tea, Earl Grey, Cold".

5. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I'm with JustKate on this one. Sometimes with dialogue you've got to go with what sounds right as opposed to what could be technically correct.

Like in ENT, it drove me crazy when they wouldn't use the word "the" before referring to the Enterprise. I used to shout at the TV "It's THE Enterprise, you idiot!"

But then who knows it may be correct in the dialect of Southern California???

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Was it wrong of me to make jokes about "Earl Grey, hot" when watching The Duchess?

7. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i don't. i drink a lot of diff teas. around 20 varieties at the moment and even each i sometimes have diff temps, combinations and mixtures. sometimes with milk, sometimes not. sometimes sweetened, sometimes not. depends on my mood. even the type of milk and sweetener changes. even preparation method changes depending on how i feel.

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^Variety is the spice of life. Hopefully in the future that will still be true. Although in Picard's case I think it was part of his character, that he was a stable person who did not really like change, that he ordered his tea the same way each time.

9. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

Earl Grey always tastes kind of soapy to me.

10. Sovereign_One

Sovereign_One Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I prefer Lady Grey tea. A bit more robust than the old Earl. :D