"John Carter of Mars" Moving Ahead!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ptrope, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Are they going to show the Sith too? Lucas took the name from the giant hornet insects in these books.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome I love the white apes though I would'nt want to mess with them. since they have a canibleistic appitite.
    and so need to read the books before the movie comes out.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, since that picture kind of looks like the Geonosis arena, why not? We can have some kind of super uber synergistic homage/rip-off thing going on.

4. timothy

they don't show up till the later books. I think they are just cover the first 3.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think it would be funny if they used it. If the name is mentioned here people will get confused and wonder where the black robed guys with red lightsabers are, even though these books used the name first.:rommie:

6. timothy

remmber lucas borrowed from everybody includling Isaac Assimov.

anyway, I am so looking forward to this and I do plan to see it in 3D.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like that White Ape. That's a bit more of the crazy spectacle I'm hoping for in this movie.

8. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

And some more pics:
    http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/11/25/john-carter-new-pics/

I like the creature design, but I wish they would have made Mars a bit more alien. It's the Red Planet, so why not use a bit more red for the rocks and make them look less like a place you could find on Earth (and yes, I know Mars isn't really red on the surface, but even NASA colour corrected some of their photos taken there, because they didn't want do disappoint people).

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Woola looks awesome. Tars Tarkas looks a bit slender from what i imagined. i dunno, maybe i'm just stuck with the Frazetta aesthetic.

10. timothy

frazetta art was awesome for john carter and conan. and those picture look awesome this is going to be a great film. my most anticipated movie for next year, next to the amazing spider-man.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And a film which is already giving us numerous native species is not one in which rigorous scientific accuracy is expected...

But eh. As Utahy as the movie's Mars is, the aforesaid creatures are delightfully weird.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those pics look great. Looking forward to the trailer next week as well.

13. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Aintitcool.com has a link to a low-res version of the new trailer, as seen on a morning TV show. (it might not be the whole trailer, though): http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52119

My gut reaction is ... not as good as I hoped for. But the full HD quality trailer should be out this evening or tomorrow, it will be more fair to judge that.

14. timothy

it looks great I am so looking forward to this movie more than star wars 3-D.

15. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

It seems too short to be the new trailer, so it's probably just the trailer for the trailer.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That trailer clip looks fun. Before it runs seeing all those...people...trying to get noticed on camera was...sad.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Too small and fast-paced to really get a good impression, but it looks like it could be okay. One would expect the trailer to have a surfeit of action and explosions, but hopefully the movie will also have characters.

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVqRvvjome0[/yt]

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, most actual trailers seem to be between 1:30 or 3:00 long, that was only :49.
    EDIT: I just found the new trailer on Disney's Official Site for the movie, and it looks great to me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  20. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

YouTube also has a 1080p version of the new trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nlvYKl1fjBI

My initial reaction - I'm definitely looking forward to this quite a bit. But I have two complaints:

- The green aliens... Poor creature design, looks more like what you would expect in a kids cartoon. Something just seems "off" about them. The lip movements doesn't match the speech either. (although I'm sure they are tweaking that last part)
    - Starting the trailer with a shot that looks like a ripoff of the "Attack of the Clones" arena scene does not give good vibes. Surely there was some way of making it look more distinctive?

But lots of good things as well:

+ Vehicle and architecture looks alien and interesting
    + Big scope
    + Lynn Collins :drool: (less clothes would be even better)

Overall I guess I was hoping for something more exotic looking like "Avatar" - but hopefully the final product will deliver.