So what do you do for fun?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Nov 5, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I usually completely forget what I read a year later (just two months ago I picked up a novel from a book store, even though I had already read it three years ago). If I read 100 books a year, I don't think it would get better.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a very casual reader and don't really care for fiction novels (except for the few Harry Potter titles I've read). The only time I have for reading is at night. So if I'm reading a book, I could easily fall asleep.

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I never understood falling asleep while reading...reading definitely keeps me awake. I have a friend, though, who falls asleep whenever she reads. It doesn't matter if she's tired, if it's the middle of the day, what she's reading, anything. It's like a conditioned response, as soon as she starts to read she starts to doze off. She likes reading, but this makes it difficult for her. It is so bad that she literally has to kneel on a hard floor while reading to stay awake, and even that doesn't always work! We were roommates for about a year, and there were definitely times I'd find her asleep on the kitchen floor next to a book.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand reading in bed to fall asleep either. If I'm reading a good book I'll be too engrossed in the story to fall asleep and if I'm reading a bad book I'll be too pissed off by the lack of quality to fall asleep. I suppose if I were reading a competently written, but dreadfully dull book I could fall asleep.

5. thestrangequark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

;)

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can't read for more than 20 minutes without getting bored/tired/hungry, even if it's an awesome book. I am just not a fan of activities than don't engage my body.

7. thestrangequark

^I often read while on my exercise bike. Win win!

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have done that in the past, but stationary cardio is the bane of my existence, so it usually resulted in me getting angry. It was the worst kind of multitasking. :lol:

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Some of the books I 'read' are actually audio books. I listen to them while waiting for the bus, while doing housework or making bookmarks.

however I do prefer printed books. If I choose an audio book I have to be very careful about the reader as I have trouble understanding some people's speech.

10. Gryffindorian

Just a clarification. If I'm reading a graphic novel, and I do have a ton of comic books, I don't have any problem staying up, sometimes to the wee hours of the morning. But I only do this on weekends or holidays when I don't have to get up early the next day.

11. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone who calls himself Gryffindorian has read only "a few" of the HP books?! Horrors! ;)

I've just started listening to The Sorcerer's Stone in the car. I don't think I could do that with a book I wasn't already familiar with, because I (appropriately) concentrate more on the driving than the listening, so I miss some details. But it's fun getting a new perspective on a story that I love.

12. Gryffindorian

Indeed! :lol: For a whole month, I had to lock myself inside a conference room during the lunch hour to read the whole Prisoner of Azkaban novel.

13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

At that rate, you need to set aside six to nine months of lunch hours to finish the series!

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of these days I fully intend to tackle the entire Dark Tower series. (Not all of the crossovers, though. I don't have enough spare lifetimes for that.)

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i read mostly. books, comic books. i spend a lot of time outdoors. i do a lot of amateur photography too.

17. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I watch waaay to much TV and films. I go to the movies at least 3 times a month. I just love stories and storytelling. I have started seeing going to the gym as being for fun though, as I've started really to enjoy the workout.

I'd like to honestly say "writing" but I do that all to seldom. I need to get my shit together, since I do enjoy it.

18. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Have no TV since I moved, 1 1/2 years ago and it's amazing how much time I suddenly have =)
    I sew (clothes and quilts), knit, tatt, embroider, repair old jewelry, paint a little, enjoy long walks and gardening and I restore old furniture. You'll never find me without a book though lately these tend to be audiobooks (my eyes aren't that good anymore).
    When I feel inspired, I write. Mainly children's stories but I have also started on a Highlander fanfic. In clear nights I'm out on the terrace, stargazing with my telescope.
    Oops, almost forgot: I've also been a TechAdmin for the last 12 years. Sometimes it's frustrating but most of the times it's fun since on "my" boards I have very very nice users (and not a single ad! :p)

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just imagine how much time you'd have without internet message boards.

20. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

naah not really :) It'd make about 15 mins per day. My boards don't require much maintenance and I'm not much of a poster unless it's a really fascinating topic. I'm usually just online during my lunch break and in the weekends I'm hardly ever online at all. Why do you think I'm still a Commie? :D