Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So much for the claim that this show was 100% scientificially accurate, eh? :lol:

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

No, the 11 year old mentioned was Aaron's wife's daughter, that made sense since Aaron left her 15 years ago, she hooked up with someone 3 years later and had a daughter.

All Emma told Monroe was that his son was away, not his age. But if you guess that Monroe and Miles were in the military for 10 year before the blackout and then add the 15 years, they kid would be around 25 or so. I have a feeling that Monroe's son might be someone that is right under his nose all along

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Ahh, gotcha. I watched this episode right after getting home from the bars, so I missed that detail.

If that makes Monroe's son in his 20s, then that sets up a potential love triangle for Charlie now (Jason and this new kid). Which as I pointed out above, ugh.

4. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

You're probably right. If he left her pregnant, then yeah, get rid of him as fast as possible.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for the reveal that sometime prior to the blackout Miles and Rachel had an affair and that Charlie is really his daughter and not his brother's.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they make it very obvious they had an affair in the past, whether Charlie was a product of it, who knows, but knowing this show I would not be surprised.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this episode. We got some new backstory for Monroe and Miles, which I always like, and it brought in Annie Wersching, who I've liked since 24. We also got a chace for Aaron to encounter his wife, which meant that he got a chance t do more than just be the nerdy comic relief, which is always nice.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I was thinking about this nitpick relative to a conversation I had with someone recently about Star Trek.

Curious, did you also roll your eyes, when Dr. Mcoy gave that women in the hospital in Star Trek IV a pill out of his, 'little black bag,' a pill that in just a few minutes grew her a new liver?

The reason I ask is because if we can suspend our disbelief about the magical technology of the future in Trek - why is it such a stretch about these nanites?

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

They didn't try and explain that away, though. It's medicine from the future, it IS magic. If McCoy stopped to explain how it worked, and it violated KNOWN principles about how things work, you'd have a nit worth picking.

Unfortunately, they didn't handwave the power failure away, they explained it. And the explanation is stupid and not conducive to things like, uh, life. Better to say 'magic' than to explain it in such a way that you KNOW it's stupid.

You keep flailing at this, but I'm not sure why you're not getting it, as it's been explained several different ways. We accept transporters and warp drive because it's "future magic". We don't know how it's supposed to work, so can't say they're doing it wrong. When you set things in the here and now, and try to explain it with common concepts, it's easy to poke holes in it, because we UNDERSTAND how it works (and why what they are saying is dumb).

If I explain the Warp Drive in technical terms, you can't tell me I'm wrong, only can identifiy if I'm consistent with what has already been said about it.

If I explain how a normal car works, you can tell me that I'm an idiot when I describe it driving across lakes, flying, and that its headlights cure cancer. And it'll look really stupid if I tell you the seats emit death rays all the time, and next moment I show our characters sitting in those seats with no harm done.

They just picked a stupid explanation, one we can RECOGNIZE as stupid. And you're the only one digging in your heels

10. tighr

^+1 to what Scout said. To put it in a more concise way though, yes. I did roll my eyes at the magic pill that grows new livers. But at least they didn't try to explain it, so the plot just moved on and that doesn't stand out for me as a hallmark of ST:IV. Plus, it was meant as a lighthearted comedic moment, not a movie defining explanation for why the whales died.

Unfortunately for you, you completely misinterpreted what my eyeroll was about re: "female presidents vs. cancer-curing-nanites". I was responding to Yoda's incredulity at the President of Georgia being a woman:

I am much more ready to accept a woman President of Georgia (in the year 2028, no less!) as completely plausible than I am cancer curing nanites. Frankly, I found it entirely offensive that he would suggest a woman would be unable to be President of Georgia.

Over on AVS (where they're discussing this show as well), someone made the claim that the blackout would result in rampant return to puritanical religious attitudes, and that Charlie wouldn't be allowed to run around shooting people with her bare midriff exposed, and would be stoned by the religious fanatics. I completely disagreed, because just because the power went out doesn't mean it's not still the year 2028. Progressivism doesn't die just because I can't make instant oatmeal in a microwave.

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, Knowledge and education is still there and people might actually take the time to read a book once in a while since they dont get to watch TV and play video games all the time in between searching for food and fighting militia.

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well many would consider the world wide blackout a sign from god, so I could definitely could se an increase in religion. After all religion is often a crutch for people to clarify things they don't understand.

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're joking right... offended? Seriously? :guffaw:

Oh yeah hey man no big deal it's just that the microwave is out. Really... you don't think that United States of America after losing probably most of its population and fracturing into warring factions at least one of which is run by a complete crazy as a result of this event... You don't see Progressivism taking a hit in that situation?

Think of it as 2028 all you want but in many ways it's more like 1828.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The people that would elect a woman president would be the first to be eaten.

"Elect?"

Leaders are chosen by Thunderdome?

Of course we say this after thinking for the rest of the season that everywhere was like the Munroe Republic.

Munroe chose prohibition of just about everything to make sure that no one in his territory could oppose him. Georgia chose unrestricted trade and focussed technology... She didn't have to be able to kill anyone to get and keep her position, it's about maintaining the quality of life of her citizens, which is about trade, prosperity and technology.

Is she a autocrat or an elected official?

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And yet, there have been many female world leaders throughout history.

Anyone else half expect Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl" to start playing during the Miles/Munroe flashbacks during this episode? :lol:

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? Name 40?

17. tighr

40 is actually a low bar to set, but I know you were being facetious.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Here y'go

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, according to that list there are 12 in charge right now.
    I realized I forgot to mention the big twist at the end, I did not see that one coming at all. I'm surprised it hasn't been a bigger deal around here. I know I wasn't expecting it.

20. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I wanted to like Revolution, love the premise(even if I liked it more in Dies the Fire, and without working firearms), but whatever good will I had towards this show is gone.

Magical nanites? Silly, but I'll give it a pass because it sets up the premise.

Setting the show fifteen years after the event? Horrible waste of the premise.

Picking two boring kids as the leads? Boring(but half way fixed recently).

Ignoring time and distance? Increasingly hard to overlook as our heroes travel vast distances on foot(Philly to Atlanta) seemingly between commercial breaks.

And now characters are behaving stupidly for no other reason than that the writers on this show are utterly dopey and clueless.

Just from the latest episode, things that jumped out at me;

-Georgia president sends Neville(WHO SHE HAS NO REASON TO TRUST AT ALL) to be her watchdog over Miles.

-Miles somehow arriving alone at his hometown, just so reinforcements can arrive at the dramatically appropiate time later on.

-Google guy's ex-wife being in some sort of B-plot, that neither impacts his character or the story in any way. Seriously, it could have been edited out entirely, utter filler. And filler that doesn't even make sense. She kills a militia sergeant and then for some reason her family goes to Texas without her? Are the writers even awake when they write this stuff?

-Monroe being utterly stupid, and mustache twirling evil just because he needs to be the villain(not a new concern, he's always been this way). But particularly worse in the latest episode.