DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

No he really doesn't...but he does need to get the hell off Detective.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Maybe he does, but I don't mind. I haven't read any reviews for Catwoman, but what you 've outlined, I've heard many times before. It's just another case of sex being held to a "standard" that's not required of anything else. The way I see it, if comics can put violence and crime fighting in a spiced-up entertaining light, then why not sex as well?

And in keeping with sex...

Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 and #2: I read these last night after hearing about the so-called blatant and juvenile sexuality, and again, all I have to say is... Good art with Starfire. And her wanting sex didn't strike me as anything worth complaining about. Personally, I liked it. I can see the following point of view though...

"If you really want to support Starfire's 'liberated sexuality' like she's somehow a person with real agency, what people should really be campaigning for is more half-clothed dudes in suggestive poses to get drawn around her, since I'm sure that's what she'd like to see. But people don't really want that, do they? Because it's not about what Starfire wants. It's about what straight male readers want." - Laura Hudson

Had me thinking of Samantha from Sex and the City as the way to go.

Can't wait to get to Voodoo. Apparently, the sexuality there is handled to critics' satisfaction.

4. Admiral_Young

Forgot to mention that the Flashpoint Hard cover is now for sale for those that want it or completists. I'll be passing on it.

@Allyn Gibson that's a pretty good guess considering I saw an add for an Apple IPOD 2 or whatever it is on Bleeding Cool's page.

5. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, but to each his own. I've been enjoying his run on Detective so far.

6. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Agreed. He's a decent artist, but his writing is just decidedly average, which to me is worse than bad. At least something bad makes me feel something. Tony Daniel's writing to me is simply "there" and that between a character I love (Hawkman) and the company's biggest franchise on one of the biggest books, I just want him to stick to art.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I'm not familiar with the writer's past work, but so far this is my favorite of the Batman titles. It's dark and twisted and the only one doing anything remotely surprising.

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't been reading it, but I am curious: is the Dollmaker in Detective in anyway related to the Dollmaker in pre-reboot Supergirl?

I plan to pick it up later this month when the prelude Flash: Road to Flashpoint is released (yes...I know it it only has minor direct links to the mini-series - I don't care).

9. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Dollmaker actually looks like Ragdolll from Secret Six (or his sister Junior).

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hands up of those who expected the scarred/Dollmakered Gordon to be the real deal?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Nope?

Yeah, same here.

11. Admiral_Young

Battle for the Cowl was a mess due to Daniel and only served in an unnecessary link between Batman RIP and Batman and Robin which was just launching and a story reason to show Dick claiming the cowl when we pretty much already knew this a long time before. Anyway I'm ranting. I'm glad there are those enjoying the book.

Road to Flashpoint is actually pretty interesting.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

After RIP, Detective was suppose to be written by Judd Winnick before Daniel got the job. Winnick only did a few stories: an epilogue to Battle for the Cowl, a three parter and a transition from Final Crisis to Battle For the Cowl. All of them were infinitely better than anything written by Daniel. It's really annoying that he was passed over for the job and that Daniel continues to churn out trash on the top DC book.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Battle For the Cowl seemed like the most ridiculous cash-in. I can't imagine anyone ever thought that Dick Grayson was not going to be Batman.

Thank God those days are over, right?

Right?

...right?

14. Admiral_Young

15. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

The one good thing I will say about Battle for the Cowl was the viral marketing. The "I Am Batman" buttons with Dick, Tim and Jason's face on them was the best marketing plan I've ever seen.

16. Admiral_Young

Just finished reading Stormwatch #3 and I'm enjoying the story line. I dislike Midnighter's redesigned costume big time. It is ugly looking. I loved the City Avatars, that is something new that Cornell has incorporated. The moon story line harkens back to I think Millar's second arc? The arc where Jenny Sparks passed and Jenny Quantum was born so I kind of like that. The art work is decent. I'll stick around for the end of this arc but I'm kind of borderline on this book.

Action Comics #3 this continues to be outstanding...and I must say that Rags Morales does an fantastically beautiful Lois. I just love everything about this book right now. Most important though is that it is fun! Does anyone else think that Clark's landlady is going to turn out to be someone else? I get the feeling that she's not just a normal old lady the way Morrison has had her interact with Clark and especially after today's issue.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  17. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ellis' third. Where the Authority fought "God" (although the only "God" it made me think of was, "God, that was a reach, wasn't it? so they beat up Galactus, let's call it God and maybe make some people think this story is actually edgy in any meaningful way").

Millar's second was about the need for super-powered Eurofascists to destroy the American government, probably. It usually is.

...The man's a bit of visionary, really.

18. Admiral_Young

Yeah that's right it was Warren Ellis...it's been a long time since I've read it.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Superwoman?

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh, I was rooting for Tim Drake.