The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More connections I don't know about...:drool:. Do tell!

Yes every time someone came around for the past couple years asking about reading order I was wishing I was ready to share the site, but I wanted it to at least be as complete as it is now before I published it. I was constantly slowed down in my progress by real life.:klingon:

Well I know I didn't include a main part of the book as opposed to all the little parts, but what I considered simplified was that I didn't want to get so specific as to include parts of chapters the way VotI did. However based on comments further upthread I've decided to add another page that just gives a reading order of all the Post-Nemesis books without breaking them up into chapters at all. So between the two pages, both types of information will be available. I just hope that I keep getting more time than usual to get work in.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

@Ryan: My comment was based mainly on the idea/opinion that everything's connected unless there are blatant contradictions that affect the later narrative, so I would have personally included most of the DS9 numbered and pre-Relaunch unnumbered novels.

The same thing applies to the TNG and VOY lists as well.

3. ryan123450

Well I have just continued the paradigm from Turtletrekker's Charting the Novelverse thread that only spelled out the stories that were specifically referenced by other stories in the Lit-verse, basically even despite any contradictions between them.

I think that was just a natural outgrowth from the "What do you have to read to understand Articles of the Federation?" series of threads.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Ryan's way is the best method here. Trying to include everything that isn't blatantly contradicted would get way to complicated and confusing, IMO.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Compiling full lists for DS9 and VOY wasn't that difficult, actually (I already did it), and TNG shouldn't be too difficult either.

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

There's no need to sub-divide chapters. And you also don't need this second page. Just take the main bit of the books and color code them in red like VoTi did (I think) and that's how we will know where each book actually fits. Simple really. One page and two colors and it's simplified.

7. ryan123450

Well I really didn't like the way the VotI timeline was formatted. That's why I didn't set out to recreate it.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are plenty of other sites that have a complete list of all of the books, so it's kind of nice to have one that's focused just on the stuff that's interconnected.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Absolutely. :bolian:

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fantastic site! Trek lit deserves something like this:techman:

11. ryan123450

Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

12. ryan123450

8of5 has been kind enough to add a mention of the Reading Guide on his Reading Flow Chart page. Thanks again 8of5!

13. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Superb! I can now use this to try and use this to help tidy up my own chronological reading order a bit more.

14. ryan123450

I just uploaded a monthly update. Added next months books and comics, and made a few tweaks. Also created a basic post-Nemesis reading order list like we discussed above. And I added a few pictures, the first of many I hope.

More additions to come as time goes by.

15. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Love it!

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the easy to read Chronology. Very helpful as I try to catch up on 4 years worth of material this year.

17. ryan123450

I loved the days when, about every couple of weeks, someone new to Treklit would come here asking for help getting into the books and what order to read them in. It's fun to help people like that. It seems like that rarely happens anymore. I hope that so many of us having made useful projects like this haven't basically made it so easy to get into Treklit that those folks never need to ask for help. I suppose it's a mixed blessing.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  18. ryan123450

Put up another monthly update. Next month's books and comics, and more covers. Hope to finish up the covers on all the lists by next month, and then start on a new and more interesting TrekLit study for publishing in November.

19. ryan123450

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Cool! That means all the TOS adventures so far could've really taken place over the course of the 'mere' five years?