Oblivion (2013) rumors, news, photos until release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Lord Xenu, the dictator of the Galactic Confederacy, brought billions of his people to Earth in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs. The skyscrapers were submerged in ash from the exploding volcanoes and nuclear firestorms.

The movie looks like it has potential, with an interesting central mystery and setting, cool visuals and action, and the presence of Cruise and Freeman (who generally pick good projects and give good performances).

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe in the sequel crossover Tom Cruise and Will Smith can reunite what's left of Earth and take on Terl reprised by John Travolta.

3. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:( He may be too old for Rama. By about a decade. Well, not as far as I'm concerned since who can say how old astronauts might be in the early 22nd century? But as far as early 21st century Hollywood goes...

Anyway, Clarke's book is too damn cerebral for brain dead America today. It'd make a classic film in the right hands such as a latter day Kubrick. In fact, it could be better than 2001. Alas.

4. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This looks pretty mediocre. Gonna be a wait and see film for me. I've seen nothing here that says this is anything more than generic sci-fi action flick 1128.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I never heard of this until the other day. I do like Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman is just about my favorite actor of all time. The trailer looks pretty cool as does the story line. So I am in!

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The man has been trying to get that project off the ground for more than a decade now, but the studios aren't interested. And, despite Freeman's passion, he can't just snap his fingers and get a greenlight. Few people in Hollywood are in the position to do that.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks pretty cool. I'm a big fan of a lot of the cast members, along with Cruise and Freeman who I would say are two of my favorite actors, it's also got Olga Kurlyenko, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lanister in Game of Thrones).

8. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Saw the trailer to this yesterday or the day before. Looks interesting.

9. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Now a longer international UK trailer
    http://movies.uk.msn.com/trailers-a...=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=sharepermalink

"There's a good amount of spectacle on display in this international trailer from MSN UK, with more expansive visuals of the desolate Earth years after an attempted alien invasion. The basics of the story, with Cruise as terrestrial drone repair soldier and the rest of humanity in orbit, also get some attention. But this trailer is focused on the mystery at the center of the story, and gives a better sense of just what form the film's conflict takes. Also, we get out first real look at Melissa Leo in her physically detached role."

Via
    http://www.iamrogue.com/news/movie-news/item/8256-oblivion-international-trailer-poster.html

It is a 2:25 length trailer. It gives a bunch away. I wish it were only 45 seconds i would still go see it. I will still see it. Looks like a real scifi film.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked this trailer. This one where the more I see the more I want to see it.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I can guess the twist:

There are no aliens?

12. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the trailer I saw in theater yesterday, I never got the impression there were supposed to be any sentient aliens.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Isn't the plot "supposed" to be that the reason the world looks like this is because of an alien invasion?

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The info about the Rama movie is no longer on the Revelations site.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Tom Cruise says it right in the narration in the trailer, or at least in the new one that just came out the other day. They also show him being attacked by what appears to be an alien.
    The trailer.

16. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I think the movie looks cool. Not a big Cruise fan but he is in some decent Sci-Fi movies.

17. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I second that. Really disappointed.

18. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Morgan Freeman is awesome, but Tom Cruise is a serious chode. The only good role he ever had was in Magnolia, he played himself: an asshole. And the creepy scientology doesn't help him either.

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

behind the scenes video & new footage

2:52 length video here
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/oblivion-2013/trailers/oblivion-featurette-154033368.html

via
    New ‘Oblivion’ Featurette Goes Behind The Film’s Intriguing Plot (video also here)

wow this looks great. I actually have excitement for this like I did for Prometheus last year. I only have to wait about a month. A real science-based scifi film set in the future on Earth.

20. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: behind the scenes video & new footage

I read the synopsis of the film and practically fell over laughing when I saw the Cruise is trying to play a 37 year old. For the record, Cruise turns 51, this July.