Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The console is $300-$350 depending if you go for the pointless basic package and the games are $60. I don't see how that is cost-conscious.

I'm not really seeing the family focus on the Wii U unless there's more to their online efforts I'm not seeing.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's just a theory and I don't have any strong evidence for it, but I don't think Sony has ever had anything idea what they're doing. They just stumbled into good fortunate despite their incompetence and arrogantly believe that it was because of their genius.

Family focus has nothing to do with online gaming. It's about getting people together in the same room. That's been their focus with the Wii and Wii U since day one.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm honestly not trying to be contrarian here but as I don't have one how is the Wii U going about that?

4. Kelthaz

I don't have one either, but Nintendo Land is supposed to be a pretty awesome party game. And of course the 4 player co-op Mario games are incredibly popular.

5. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cost concious casual gamers are content to game on their smartphones and tablets. This is why Nintendo's strategy is flawed. A lot of the core gamers feel alienated by Nintendo and I honestly don't know what they can do to get that trust back.

Iwata just announced earnings after the first quarter of WiiU sales. He had to lower sales estimates going forward due to disappointing WiiU sales.

I'm rooting for Nintendo, I really am, but whether I buy a WiiU or not depends on what Sony and Microsoft do over the next year. I'll know more after the Playstation 2013 event.

6. Kelthaz

Smartphones and tablets are not good for games when you visit your parents for Christmas. You can't play Angry Birds with your kids on your phones. You can't get together with a group of friends and laugh your asses off while playing Smash Bros. or Mario Kart on your phones.

Oh, Nintendo's strategy is far from flawed. They won't do quite as well as they did with the Wii, but they know what they're doing.

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A great point, one great advantage the Wii uses is the real life interaction that its games bring to the players, in contrast to Xbox and PS games which no longer support local multiplayer. It moves against the flow of social interaction, something society in general is in desperate need of saving.

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to be a huge Nintendo fan, especially the Mario, Zelda and Metroid titles, but truthfully, most of the third party titles on their systems nowadays are garbage, and I'm not buying another Nintendo system for three or four games.

I'd really love to see Nintendo go the Sega route and get out of the console business and focus solely on games, which is what they're best at. Imagine playing a Legend of Zelda or Metroid on the PlayStation 4 or Xbox 720.

9. Kelthaz

I think I just threw up a little inside.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I long for the day of the ultimate console that can play any game from any platform, with the possibility to upgrade the hardware components module by module, and with an SDK. You could constantly update it on both the software and hardware side.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

What are universally considered the two best consoles of all-time were both made by Nintendo. The most successful gaming device of all-time was made by Nintendo.

Not sure if serious.

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

That's called a PC.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember the Dreamcast had the only decent version of Gauntlet Legends ever released on home game systems. If there's any more recent versions, I'm not aware of them. Although it might get me to buy a game console!

14. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ummm... The only console to sell more than the original Playstation is the Playstation 2... Third is the Wii. Even though the PS4 is about to be announced, the PS3 will likely be on te market for another 4 years and significantly cut in price... The 360 and PS3 could possibly pass the Wii when it's all said and done.

But ultimately, I agree with you. The SNES has a special place in most gamer's hearts and as long as Iwata is CEO of Nintendo, they will always pursue the hardware business. I just don't know how wise it is though.

Mark my words... 1 or more of the current 3 major console makers will not be in the console business 2 console generations from now. Could be Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft... Or even all three. I hope all three can adapt in this rapidly changing environment, but I fear for the changes ahead.

Like I said, I think they could make a lot more by coming together and establishing a gaming console standard and license te shit out of it to manufacturers like Samsung, Toshiba, etc, much the same way the Blu-ray consortium licenses Blu-ray player tech to all te Blu-ray player manufacturers. These consoles would play all games. Just imagine a machine that plays Mario, Uncharted and Gears of War?? It would be great for developers and the licensors and the public.

15. JarodRussell

[Dennis]No.[/Dennis]

Unless you know of any PS3, XBox and Wii Emulators for PC.

16. Kelthaz

Dolphin is pretty much perfect for the Wii if you have the computer for it. Even runs the games upconverted to 1080p.

17. JarodRussell

And the others?

18. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure it would be a violation of board rules to link you to the sources you're asking for.

19. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dead serious.

My two favorite consoles of all time are NES and SNES. I love these two even more than PS3 and Xbox 360. N64 onwards sucks balls. I still own my NES and SNES, I sold my 64, GameCube, and my Wii makes an excellent dust magnet. I literally own four games for it. And I have no intention of buying a Wii U because it's going to be a huge waste of money for me just to get it for Zelda and Metroid.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I did say "device" not "console." The DS just passed the PS2 in total worldwide sales.