Michael Phelps - Is he human or metahuman?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Gryffindorian, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been watching the Beijing Summer Olympic coverage on NBC. This is about the only sporting event I've ever cared to watch on television, and gymnastics and swimming are my two favorite sports.

Michael Phelps is a truly amazing guy. Five. Gold. Olympic Medals. So far. In five swimming competitions. :eek: That's not counting the gold medals he had already won in the Athens Olympics of 2004.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/USA/Michael+Phelps/221565

You know something? I have more respect for these Olympic swimmers and athletes than I do for these overpaid "pro" athletes (football, baseball, basketball) we have in the U.S., some of whom can't even form a coherent sentence when they're interviewed by the media. :rolleyes: Apparently, we don't have a Batman in real life, but Phelps is the closest thing we have and is the epitome of athletic prowess. You need only look at his performance in the Olympics, resulting from the rigorous training, physical and mental conditioning he has to go through every day. I mean, it's one thing to be physically fit or athletic. It's one thing to be a professional athlete. But to be an Olympic-level athlete--and one who excels at what he does and continues to break world records--it's almost superhuman.

And the games ain't over yet. ;)

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I swam for almost a decade growing up, the Olympic swimming is the one thing I really follow at the games. The man is built for swimming, simply put. Swimming ability is something that, beyond the obvious need for constant training and perfect form, is really a matter of physiology.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The guy is insane. What a race and what a fun swimmer to watch.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I can run up the stairs without getting out of breath. If there's not too many. :bolian:

Unfortunately, I also have to commit the strenuous act of moving this thread to the Sports Forum.

* Gasp. Wheeze. *

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is he human, metahuman or up to his ears with the most current, top substances the anti-doping agencies are unable to detect yet ?

Yes,I don't have much faith in the Olympics or their champions anymore...

6. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

^He volunteered to take part in extra doping tests, as well as a new program that maps his body chemistry continuously for any signs of deviations. I think he's clean. He's just a ridiculously hard trainer who happened to be born with the right body, including a literally freakish aerobic capacity. The latter is why he can recover as quickly as he can and why he can excel in an unprecedented program.

7. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His build is freakish. But freakish in the way Frankenstein would have been if designed by swim coaches. He's double jointed which gives him that crazy power in his turns, has the wing span of a plane, and flippers with unprecedented amount of flexibility instead of feet.

Almost literally built for the sport.

8. Gryffindorian

Ohmigosh, I completely forgot there was a Sports Forum on the BBS. No wonder I didn't see any Olympic discussions in MISC. :lol:

Did he just win another gold medal that I'm not aware of? The last event NBC showed Phelps was the Men's relay.

I fell asleep around midnight and couldn't stay up to watch the women's gymnastic team finals last night. Thanks a lot, NBC. :vulcan:

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far he has 5. I think tonight is Phelps Free in Prime Time (Mens All Around Gymnastics takes center stage) but the next three nights will be interesting.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the gills. Don't forget the gills.

11. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

I get the feeling he's actually God -- and he's toying with the rest of the field until the last leg and wills himself to win. If someone beats him, that is when he will decide to bring about judgment day.

At least that's what NBC says.

-nobody

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Exactly. It's a good thing he discovered swimming. It would suck if he decided to play football or something.

He moves like a fish. It's crazy to watch.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you watch this morning? I caught the Men's 100m butterfly. Phelps beat Cavic by one-one hundredths of a second. It was insane!

J.

14. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

Insane...but exciting!! As well as gold medal #7!!
    When he was younger, he kinda looked like the Golden Age Prince Namor with the triangular face and his pointed ears bobbed. Maybe that would explain his superhuman performance in the Olympics.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I agree. I was exhausted, it was early in the morning and I should have been sleeping, but when Phelps touched the wall and they showed him as the winner, I jumped off of the couch and started cheering. The downstairs neighbors were not amused. :lol:

J.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he's a genetically engineered dolphin.

Tape the late-night rebroadcast (1:30am-5am or so) and then watch it the next day. That way you can zap the boring shit (who watches all that volleyball!!!)

17. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh? He's just a fast swimmer, nothing more. LOL, talk about getting carried away with the hype.

18. Gryffindorian

I think it was last night when Bob Costas was doing an analysis of M. Phelps' body build--how his long feet act like flippers, how his long body and average-length legs work to his advantage, hands work like paddles. He's the perfect swimming human-machine.

19. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Ack! He's about to go for his 8th gold medal! I'm so nervous watching them on the starting blocks!

20. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

Phelps is very gracious towards teammates right now (deservedly so). Great race by the Americans.

You can tell the USA team felt the pressure to not fuck it up for Phelps. They gotta feel great the pressure is over and they won.

There goes NBC's ratings as well.

-nobody